Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

keatth

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 24, 2013
I just got the 21.5 inch iMac, replacing my 13 inch white late 2007 Macbook. I am thinking about exchanging for a Macbook Pro because the screen is so big! It looked cool in the store and I got a great feeling playing around with it, especially in the standing up position, now that I have it on my desk (and all the lights aren't shining on it lol), the screen is HUGE...

I don't know if I'm just not used to it or not. Did it take you a while to adjust to it? Did it have a different feel on your desk than you thought? Do you think the screen is too big?

fig

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2012
Austin, TX
Everyone has their own idea of what a comfortable screen size is, though I'd guess part of your issue is just being accustomed to a smaller screen.

I had a 20" iMac for a while and now have a Mini driving two 24" displays, can't say I'd consider the 21.5 too big but to each their own.

iSayuSay

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2011
A screen can't never be too big. Give it a time, maybe a week. After that you might wanna get a 27 incher because 21.5" is too damn small :D.

Shane1905

macrumors regular
May 21, 2012
UK
Give it time, you'll love it! I moved from a 15" dell to the 27 in jan and it was a huge leap :D couldn't imagine using a smaller screen now though. Best decision I've made computer wise for a decade.

Virginaustralia

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2013
Um... i have a 27" PC and a 17" laptop and im now used to them so they dont feel big, and now when i see 13" laptops they look like the size of my ipad mini

Tjosansa

macrumors regular
Jul 27, 2013
My problem is the opposite.
I have now a 46" screen and gonna buy an imac 27".
My worries is that i may feel the screen being to small :D

magilla

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2013
I just got the 21.5 inch iMac, replacing my 13 inch white late 2007 Macbook. I am thinking about exchanging for a Macbook Pro because the screen is so big! It looked cool in the store and I got a great feeling playing around with it, especially in the standing up position, now that I have it on my desk (and all the lights aren't shining on it lol), the screen is HUGE...

I don't know if I'm just not used to it or not. Did it take you a while to adjust to it? Did it have a different feel on your desk than you thought? Do you think the screen is too big?

Wait 'till you get to be 60ish and a 13" laptop screen looks like you're looking at a postage stamp!:D To see the damn things you either have to have them at arm's length and then it looks like you're looking through the wrong end of a pair of binoculars or else you have it about 6" away from your face in which case you're getting a hell of a suntan from the monitor!:eek:

Bill

Commy1

macrumors 6502a
Feb 25, 2013
I understand where you're coming from, this is my exact thought around the 27" iMac/TBD.
My 21.5" iMac is a good size for me, I've always had at least a 20" monitor at 1080 resolution. I considered while I was on the hunt for my iMac that perhaps I should just invest in the 27" size to be able to do some more things with it, and hey it's just bigger. So I went to my local Apple reseller and sat in front of one and was like "Woah..." there's just so much real-estate, I could probably section off the screen for browser, itunes and whatever else without squishing any part of any of the screens.

What bothers me, is because I've always had at least a dual screen set up. Going to the iMac I thought it'd be possible to get a second screen but I didn't realize the height difference of the iMac compared to other displays, and the bezel thickness. I hope that they release a 21.5" TBD/Cinema. Unlikely but I can hope.

Last edited:

oldhifi

macrumors 65816
Jan 12, 2013
USA

I had a 24 inch IMac and it took me some time to get use to it..but I did, if it would have stopped freezing I would have kept it..

Hildegerd

macrumors regular
May 12, 2013
Norway

You will get used to it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.