Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Little-Acorn

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 8, 2012
I have an iPhone 3GS, 32GB, Version 4.2.1, Modem Firmware 05.12.01.

Got it on eBay last year, and took it to the local wireless pirate who jailbroke it and unlocked it. I've been using it on T-Mobile ever since, pretty successfully.

I've also been using Garmin Navigator on it successfully, clearly the GPS chip is still working well. I ducked that bullet, did NOT install modem 6.15.00. I had access to T-Mobile, had a GPS that was working great, all was well.

Fast forward to August 2013. Now I'd like to load the latest version of the Geocaching app... but it says it requires iOS 5.0 or later.

I'm worried that I might mess up the jailbreak/unlock if I upgrade the iOS on this phone. As I recall, my present iOS (4.2.1) is one of the few that this jailbreak/unlock can work on... or it was last year, anyway, when I had it done.

A year has gone by since then. Now, is there any way I can upgrade to iOS 5.0 or later, without messing up my jailbreak?

Or, any way that AT&T can unlock this phone "for real", so I can upgrade without fear, still use it on T-Mobile, and still have an operating GPS?

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
You can legally unlock it thru several unlocking services. This unlocking will be permanent. However, keeping the jailbreak will be a great deal of trouble, since I don't think the current latest iPhone OS can be jailbroken and remain untethered.

Little-Acorn

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 8, 2012
You can legally unlock it thru several unlocking services. This unlocking will be permanent. However, keeping the jailbreak will be a great deal of trouble, since I don't think the current latest iPhone OS can be jailbroken and remain untethered.

I just called AT&T directly, 'fessed up, and asked them if it's possible to unlock this phone legally somehow, so I can upgrade the iOS and still be able to use T-Mobile and use the GPS.

They seemed to say that I had to be a previous A&T customer. I got this phone on eBay and don't know its ancestry. Hmmm.

Do any of these "several unlocking services" you mentioned, not require the phone's pedigree?

Or maybe I just ran into an AT&T clerk who hadn't had her morning coffee, and wasn't giving me the whole story?

darricksailo

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
I just called AT&T directly, 'fessed up, and asked them if it's possible to unlock this phone legally somehow, so I can upgrade the iOS and still be able to use T-Mobile and use the GPS.

They seemed to say that I had to be a previous A&T customer. I got this phone on eBay and don't know its ancestry. Hmmm.

Do any of these "several unlocking services" you mentioned, not require the phone's pedigree?

Or maybe I just ran into an AT&T clerk who hadn't had her morning coffee, and wasn't giving me the whole story?

You can try swiftunlocks if AT&T won't unlock the device for you.

By all means, they should. Try calling again and explain how you bought the 3GS from someone who you don't have contact with anymore and would like it unlocked. They'll ask for the IMEI if they will unlock it for you. Maybe you just talked to a bad representative

https://www.swiftunlocks.com/brands/apple

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
You can try swiftunlocks if AT&T won't unlock the device for you.

By all means, they should. Try calling again and explain how you bought the 3GS from someone who you don't have contact with anymore and would like it unlocked. They'll ask for the IMEI if they will unlock it for you. Maybe you just talked to a bad representative

https://www.swiftunlocks.com/brands/apple

They don't have to unlock it for you if you're not a customer and you don't fulfill the following requirements.
https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/

General Eligibility Requirements for Unlocking All AT&T Mobile Devices

AT&T will unlock an AT&T Mobile Device under the following circumstances:
• The person requesting the unlock must be one of the following:◦ a current AT&T customer
◦ a former AT&T customer who can provide the phone number or account number for the account

• The AT&T Mobile Device was designed for use on AT&T's network.
• The AT&T Mobile Device has not been reported lost or stolen.

Account is in good standing (i.e., it has no past due amount or unpaid balance owed AT&T), and all contract obligations, including any Service Commitment, associated with the device to be unlocked have been fully satisfied. The Service Commitment associated with a given device may be satisfied in one of the following ways:◦ Fulfillment of the Service Commitment by expiration of any contractual term
◦ Upgrading to a new device under AT&T standard or early upgrade policies
◦ Payment of any applicable Early Termination Fee

• Postpaid Smartphone Customers: Account has been active for at least ninety days and is in good standing (i.e., it has no past due amount or unpaid balance owed AT&T.

• Prepaid / Go Phones: Account has been active for at least 6 months.

So best bet would be to pay swiftunlocks the $2 and get it out of the way:)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.