Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Frederico Luna

macrumors member
Jul 26, 2012
Recife - Brazil
I'm brazilian and live far from Rio, but this is great news for me :) It shows Apple is interested in our country as a whole. This means smaller delays in new products, better iTunes store and etc.

Way to go!

needfx

Suspended
Aug 10, 2010
macrumors apparently
this title..

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-08-24 at 11.13.24 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2013-08-24 at 11.13.24 PM.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 73

maneks

macrumors newbie
Aug 24, 2013
That's great for Brazil but I really do wonder why Apple is not prioritising opening retail stores in countries like Singapore where I imagine an average person has a greater buying power to be able to afford an iPhone or a Mac. In fact, the number of resellers who have set up stores in prominent locations in Singapore make me wonder where Apple will decide to open shop when they do eventually go there.

lcmazza

macrumors regular
Apr 3, 2012
That's great for Brazil but I really do wonder why Apple is not prioritising opening retail stores in countries like Singapore where I imagine an average person has a greater buying power to be able to afford an iPhone or a Mac. In fact, the number of resellers who have set up stores in prominent locations in Singapore make me wonder where Apple will decide to open shop when they do eventually go there.

There are maybe two big reasons: World Cup 2014 and the Olympic Games in 2016.

These events will take place in Brazil.

richeyty

macrumors member
Jul 25, 2013
Brazil is a huge country, which means a ginormous opportunity! App.e will do much better with their retail going into brazil.

Apr 17, 2005
Currently in Switzerland
It's such a low number…

Obviously, the cost of living in Brazil is lower than in the States, but I'm just surprised at it being that low.

A brand new iPhone there costs over $1000.

Despite the high prices for Apple devices in Brazil (mostly due to high taxes), that salary is very good for such positions.

In fact, I would actually be surprised if ANY Apple retail employee made that much money in the US - they normally as much (or little) money as restaurant waiters.

----------

The minimum wage in Brazil is about USD 280.71. So, they will earn 7.5 times that. Really, it's not that bad for the country's reality. Most tech support guys doesn't earn near that much here.

Most people in Brazil don't earn just the minimum wage anymore, so that low figure has little relevance nowadays, particularly in big urban centers such as Rio or São Paulo.

Not to mention that high-level C-positions or managerial posts in Brazil have higher average salaries than in the US or most of the world.

lucascampelo

macrumors newbie
Feb 9, 2011
Despite the high prices for Apple devices in Brazil (mostly due to high taxes), that salary is very good for such positions.

In fact, I would actually be surprised if ANY Apple retail employee made that much money in the US - they normally as much (or little) money as restaurant waiters.

----------

Most people in Brazil don't earn just the minimum wage anymore, so that low figure has little relevance nowadays, particularly in big urban centers such as Rio or São Paulo.

Not to mention that high-level C-positions or managerial posts in Brazil have higher average salaries than in the US or most of the world.

Most people in Brazil don't earn the minimum wage? I don't know if we are talking about the same Brazil. :p

gugy

macrumors 68040
Jan 31, 2005
La Jolla, CA
It's such a low number…

Obviously, the cost of living in Brazil is lower than in the States, but I'm just surprised at it being that low.

A brand new iPhone there costs over $1000.

Actually the cost of living in a city like Rio is pretty high. I live in the US but everytime I got back to Rio where i was born I am shocked with the prices. More like NY prices. Just a joke.
It's a bubble that will eventually burst.

Apr 17, 2005
Currently in Switzerland
Actually the cost of living in a city like Rio is pretty high. I live in the US but everytime I got back to Rio where i was born I am shocked with the prices. More like NY prices. Just a joke.
It's a bubble that will eventually burst.

It's not a bubble; it's just a consequence of the country's continued growth and concentration of wealth in a number of urban centers (Rio included). Most of Brazil's population is now part of the middle class and has much easier access to financing than ever before - at the same time, the rich continue to be rich or even richer, and are more than willing and able to pay for whatever they want.

No wonder a reasonably nice apartment in Sao Paulo now costs an average of USD 500,000, with bigger ones going upwards of USD 1,000,000. Otherwise, you'd have to say that NYC has also had a real estate bubble for years now, which is obviously not the case.

One cannot forget a very basic thing: Apple Retails stores have NEVER catered to the low strata of the population, wherever they are located. The first Apple Store was launched in Tysons Corner, right in the middle of a huge pool of affluent public servants in the D.C. area.

Same now for Rio's Village Mall, which comprises upscale brand stores focused on the rich inhabitants of the city's Southern Zone...Apple couldn't have chosen a better place for its first retail store in Brazil.

And I can easily bet that the next one would be located in places like the Iguatemi Mall in Sao Paulo or similar upscale shopping centers in Brasilia (the federal capital, also FULL of affluent public servants) or Southeastern/Southern Brazil.

Mystic386

macrumors regular
Nov 18, 2011
"Apple's First Brazilian Retail Store Reportedly Set for December Opening"

Apples New Product Launch

Apple Inc is due to launch a new product. Will it come to dominate this market with it's innovative technology integrated into this more traditional market. This is a first for Apple branching out from electronics with a new product primarily for females. Worldwide Apple have appeared to identify that this is a future trend for males.

Technophobes and geeks await the launch of the Apple Brazilian Store to see exactly what Apple has done and how different it will be. Apple's secrecy prior to product launch means we have not seen any leaked shots.

Apple are expecting the usual cues to form prior to the launch with customers eager to get and show off their Apple Brazilian. It's expected as usual there will be a race to post the first pictures and videos on the internet as well as the inevitable destruction videos.

The writer is probably going to avoid the initial rush and wait till the bugs have been sorted. It's expected that the "S" or even version "2" may be a better bet.

There is never a shortage of people wanting to be the first, showing their new product off to friends, family and workmates.

Yes there are expected to be the usual "this would never have happened when Steve was alive" comments. There has been ongoing pressure for Apple to release a new product and this clearly wasn't something many pundits expected.

It's expected executives at Samsung, Google and Microsoft will be looking closely at the new Apple product possibly even procuring one to find out what innovations Apple is bringing to this market.

gugy

macrumors 68040
Jan 31, 2005
La Jolla, CA
It's not a bubble; it's just a consequence of the country's continued growth and concentration of wealth in a number of urban centers (Rio included). Most of Brazil's population is now part of the middle class and has much easier access to financing than ever before - at the same time, the rich continue to be rich or even richer, and are more than willing and able to pay for whatever they want.

No wonder a reasonably nice apartment in Sao Paulo now costs an average of USD 500,000, with bigger ones going upwards of USD 1,000,000. Otherwise, you'd have to say that NYC has also had a real estate bubble for years now, which is obviously not the case.

One cannot forget a very basic thing: Apple Retails stores have NEVER catered to the low strata of the population, wherever they are located. The first Apple Store was launched in Tysons Corner, right in the middle of a huge pool of affluent public servants in the D.C. area.

Same now for Rio's Village Mall, which comprises upscale brand stores focused on the rich inhabitants of the city's Southern Zone...Apple couldn't have chosen a better place for its first retail store in Brazil.

And I can easily bet that the next one would be located in places like the Iguatemi Mall in Sao Paulo or similar upscale shopping centers in Brasilia (the federal capital, also FULL of affluent public servants) or Southeastern/Southern Brazil.

There is no doubt Apple will cater the people with money in Brazil. This new store is locate in a very expensive new shopping center. I was just recently there. It's a beutiful expensive upper class mall full of stores like Prada/ Gucci, etc.

As for the bubble as a Brazilian I can tell you it might very well burst. I lived there for 24 years and once I first got the the USA, I have never had credit. It's a new thing for most Brazilians (past two decades maximum) due the huge past history of inflation.
I can see many of my friends and relatives just adding to their credit cards and multiple check payments (something very common in Brazil). Most medium class people are just living well beyond their means.
Real estate prices are out of control as for most services in the country. It will just get higher as the WC and Olympics approach.
I hope they country can sustain this, but I have the feeling they will have a rude awakening in few years.

Apr 17, 2005
Currently in Switzerland
There is no doubt Apple will cater the people with money in Brazil. This new store is locate in a very expensive new shopping center. I was just recently there. It's a beutiful expensive upper class mall full of stores like Prada/ Gucci, etc.

As for the bubble as a Brazilian I can tell you it might very well burst. I lived there for 24 years and once I first got the the USA, I have never had credit. It's a new thing for most Brazilians (past two decades maximum) due the huge past history of inflation.
I can see many of my friends and relatives just adding to their credit cards and multiple check payments (something very common in Brazil). Most medium class people are just living well beyond their means.
Real estate prices are out of control as for most services in the country. It will just get higher as the WC and Olympics approach.
I hope they country can sustain this, but I have the feeling they will have a rude awakening in few years.

I am also Brazilian and can tell you that the debt levels of Brazilians are still WAY, but WAY much lower than those of US citizens, who are historically used to having four different credit cards and a terrible culture when it comes to personal savings.

In fact, the great advantage of US citizens is that they are still enjoying the reserve currency status of the USD and cheap imports from Asia, which give them the impression of easy purchasing all over the place with low interest rates (now matter how much debt they have up their necks).

It is obvious, of course, that after the major sporting events of 2014 and 2016 Brazilian prices will undergo some well-needed correction. But do not expect huge falls, because our country is, indeed, growing a lot in terms of wealth and reduced inequality. In the end, real estate will continue to be expensive, particularly in the most sought-after areas, just like what we see in NYC, Paris, Zurich and so on. After all, salaries go up and prices follow that trend...forget about cheap prices in Brazil apart from local food, locally-produced goods like leather and shops in backwater areas.

The Village Mall people will buy Apple stuff in droves no matter how expensive they are; just like the Sao Paulo BMW motorbike store sells the most motorbikes compared to any other BMW store in the world.

Mr. Dee

macrumors 603
Dec 4, 2003
Jamaica
Thats a lot of money.

Taking into account the Jamaican dollar is 1 US = $102 Jamaican dollars. That's a lot of money!

gugy

macrumors 68040
Jan 31, 2005
La Jolla, CA
I am also Brazilian and can tell you that the debt levels of Brazilians are still WAY, but WAY much lower than those of US citizens, who are historically used to having four different credit cards and a terrible culture when it comes to personal savings.

In fact, the great advantage of US citizens is that they are still enjoying the reserve currency status of the USD and cheap imports from Asia, which give them the impression of easy purchasing all over the place with low interest rates (now matter how much debt they have up their necks).

It is obvious, of course, that after the major sporting events of 2014 and 2016 Brazilian prices will undergo some well-needed correction. But do not expect huge falls, because our country is, indeed, growing a lot in terms of wealth and reduced inequality. In the end, real estate will continue to be expensive, particularly in the most sought-after areas, just like what we see in NYC, Paris, Zurich and so on. After all, salaries go up and prices follow that trend...forget about cheap prices in Brazil apart from local food, locally-produced goods like leather and shops in backwater areas.

The Village Mall people will buy Apple stuff in droves no matter how expensive they are; just like the Sao Paulo BMW motorbike store sells the most motorbikes compared to any other BMW store in the world.

I hope you are right, I would hate to see the country moving backwards. It just baffles me the price of good in cities like RJ and SP. While most is due the heavy taxation, it still seems people just are buying without any limits and putting everything into the CC.

phoenixsan

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2012
Makes perfect sense.....

as a business posed to be an outlet for the internal production of Apple hardware......

Unrelated in some way, I cant figure out why Apple is getting trouble to fill the vacancy positions......:confused:

:):apple:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.