Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Louis Wu

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2011
Toronto
Currently folding on the following:
5 * Intel i7 2600k
1 * Intel i7 3770k
2 * nVidia GTX460
1 * nVidia GTX560Ti

They're not all folding for MacRumors at the moment tho - after the 100 million point push, I've redirected some back to my other teams.

I'd been toying with the idea of a quad AMD for over a year - twoodcc you might have just pushed me over the edge!
My only reservation is the long awaited GPU QRB - if a few GTX660Ti can turn in 300k ppd, I'm not sure of the sense in a new server build, plus the SuperMicro systems I've been looking at are noisy as hell. However, there could well be savings in electricity for the AMD system - time to get the calculator out!

wow, that sure is a lot of rigs! do you have them all in the same room? I bet a 4p system, especially if watercooled, would pull down a lot less power and put out a lot less heat... right now my one folding rig with 2 GPUs keeps the basement not comfortable but at least warmer...

if the GPU QRB does come in soon I'd be tempted to cram 3 GPUs into my mobo -- but don't think they'd even fit, and the heat issue would still exist...

your 100 million points is incredible! thanks for your continuing contribution to the team :)

Louis

----------

It is not sleeping, by the way, just locked.

Current OS:Windows 8. Power Settings: High Performance.

I think I will be changing the motherboard and downgrading back to Windows 7 sometime soon since I am getting tired of trying to find things.

hmmm.. good to know... I bought a copy of W8 but maybe I'll just keep it in the box for a while yet!

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Original poster
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
if the GPU points go up, any one have any advice on what to do with 5 x 260 GTXs if i do upgrade any of them? i have no empty gpu slots, so if i buy any new ones, i gotta do something with the old ones.

i hate to just have them sitting here doing nothing, but they really don't get many points these days either.

Louis Wu

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2011
Toronto
if the GPU points go up, any one have any advice on what to do with 5 x 260 GTXs if i do upgrade any of them? i have no empty gpu slots, so if i buy any new ones, i gotta do something with the old ones.

i hate to just have them sitting here doing nothing, but they really don't get many points these days either.

I'd have to see the bonus points before thinking of buying anything... I'd think that there'd be some gamers who would be interested in your 260s -- they're still pretty decent cards after all!

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Original poster
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
I'd have to see the bonus points before thinking of buying anything... I'd think that there'd be some gamers who would be interested in your 260s -- they're still pretty decent cards after all!

well i know right now i'm only getting like 6-7k ppd out of them. they are now what, 3 years old? i doubt i could get $50 each for them. and they've been folding for 3 years lol

Louis Wu

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2011
Toronto
well i know right now i'm only getting like 6-7k ppd out of them. they are now what, 3 years old? i doubt i could get $50 each for them. and they've been folding for 3 years lol

but hey you'd realize more than enough for a new generation card that takes less power and generates more points! (my 660 ti is a mid-range card and it gets 36 K pod!)

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Original poster
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
but hey you'd realize more than enough for a new generation card that takes less power and generates more points! (my 660 ti is a mid-range card and it gets 36 K pod!)

yeah but i'd be losing money. i paid probably $200 for each card. i'd be lucky to get $200 for all 5 cards!

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
May 10, 2010
日本
Hypothetical question: if I would like to build a "cheap" but efficient CPU/GPU folding box ... AMD seems the way to go based on money required for Xeons.
What AMDs would make bigadv with solid PPD result.

Plan is : a 2p or 4p motherboard with enough PCIe slots to also do GPU folding beside CPU; a "One size folds all" approach.
But I'm an Intel guy and severe confused with AMD naming conventions and slot types. Need help to wrap my brain around. What AMD CPU in what socket ?

Last edited:

Louis Wu

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2011
Toronto
Hypothetical question: if I would like to build a "cheap" but efficient CPU/GPU folding box ... AMD seems the way to go based on money required for Xeons.

Plan is : a 2p or 4p motherboard with enough PCIe slots to also do GPU folding beside CPU; a "One size folds all" approach.
But I'm an Intel guy and severe confused with AMD naming conventions and slot types. Need help to wrap my brain around. What AMD CPU in what socket ?

thanks to the experiments by the folks over at [H] the consensus seems to be that CPU/GPU folding in the same box is a no-go; the GPUs will take enough resources that the CPU PPD takes a huge hit. (because QRB with anything is non-linear and anything -- like a short power outage -- that increases the time to complete a WU really affects your points in a bad way)

somewhere in this thread:

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1762504&gpu

AndyE talks about using the cheapest low-power Intel processor (Celeron G1610 -- 55W and $50 here) with a 2 PCIe board (best stability) and 2 GPU cards. I followed his advice and that's what I'm running.

I will confirm that it does work nicely. I tested my 660ti in the rig for power -- 170 W while folding; the nVidia cards use more CPU resources (basically soaking up 1 core) than the AMD cards. Then popped the same card in a different rig with an AMD Phenom II 965 BE (125W) and saw 235 W on the meter! So definitely worth getting a low-power CPU if you're going to drive GPUs.

as far as AMD rigs go; unless you have the "good" chips then I'd say forget it and stick with GPU folding. I have a 4p with the base model 6128 chips -- 8-core and 2.0 speed; and I barely finish the toughest bigadv WUs (8101) under deadline and make fewer PPD (like 90 K PPD) than my rig with 2 AMD 7970s! (the AMD 7970 GPU folder draws 330 W when folding for about 180 K PPD)

and the AMD 4p rig draws 525 W so to use far more power for far fewer points is really, well, "pointless"!

not to discourage you, of course, it's still fun but the AMD rigs are, well, pretty single-purpose where at least you can sell the GPUs on the open market if you want to upgrade or need the money or whatever. (when I bought my 6128 chips they were $75 each and now they're about $75 for four!)

twoodcc can let you know what his experience has been -- he's got better chips (and lower power too! -- look for the ones with the suffix HE or high efficiency) so he gets way more PPD. As you've noted, if you're going to go the 4p route, the AMD rigs have the low initial cost advantage vs the Intel rigs, but take more power so over the long run... (bearing in mind that we never know what Pande group will do with their WUs and points)

have a look at what others are doing and then send over some questions!

whatever you do, have fun!

:)

Last edited:

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Original poster
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong

Louis has some good advice there. i do have the he chips in my AMD rig, but i got lucky - i bought my system already good to go - meaning, all i had to do was put it together, turn it on and put in my fah info, and it started folding. pretty sweet.

i get anywhere from 150k ppd to over 300k ppd in the heat of the summer. those numbers go up in the winter though. in fact, i just got another 8101 (the chewy units), and i was getting about 160k ppd. i just put a box fan near the rig, and right now it's showing 188k ppd. let's hope that stays.

most people are going gpu right now over cpu, but it really depends on what you want. i think the price per ppd is about even, depending on the deals you can get. i like having a 48-core computer. but i can't really use it for anything other than folding - i could set it up as a server, but that's about it.

let us know if you have any specific questions and we'll do our best to help you.

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
May 10, 2010
日本
Thanks both !
My nerd heart wants a multi CPU rig. Understand that CPU/GPU might not be ideal. For that I will plan next to replace my Core2 Q9550 back to my benched i7 2600S; 95 W down to 60W plus more computing power. Just need a new MB for that; that should be ok for a 3GPU setup.

Monthly power bill if a great concern; need to back to planning mode ...

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Original poster
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
Thanks both !
My nerd heart wants a multi CPU rig. Understand that CPU/GPU might not be ideal. For that I will plan next to replace my Core2 Q9550 back to my benched i7 2600S; 95 W down to 60W plus more computing power. Just need a new MB for that; that should be ok for a 3GPU setup.

Monthly power bill if a great concern; need to back to planning mode ...

yeah it's tough. no matter what you do, the more you get into this, the higher the power bill goes.

lordonuthin

macrumors 6502
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa

I want to do the same thing but those darn titans keep getting in the way! I'm still working on the numbers and reading so it may take me awhile to decide weather to get a 2p/4p system or two or whatever.

----------

yeah it's tough. no matter what you do, the more you get into this, the higher the power bill goes.

Are there Pande points for highest power bill? :D

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Original poster
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
I want to do the same thing but those darn titans keep getting in the way! I'm still working on the numbers and reading so it may take me awhile to decide weather to get a 2p/4p system or two or whatever.

----------

Are there Pande points for highest power bill? :D

i say go for the 4p system. you can get one for not that much, or build one yourself. think of all the cores!

if i ever stop folding with mine, i'll use it for a web server. probably run some scripts or something off it too. who knows. i'll think of something

lordonuthin

macrumors 6502
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
i say go for the 4p system. you can get one for not that much, or build one yourself. think of all the cores!

if i ever stop folding with mine, i'll use it for a web server. probably run some scripts or something off it too. who knows. i'll think of something

ohh, the cores... thats what it's about:cool: if I could only steal some from work:eek: I digress---maybe that would get me to 1M ppd?:D

Louis Wu

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2011
Toronto

here's a good current thread on the subject...

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1778674

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
May 10, 2010
日本
here's a good current thread on the subject...

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1778674

Thanks for sharing ... I still wonder why ...
If I have a 4p system with 48 or 64 cores and have one of those dealing with a GPU that should not impact so much. I read somewhere that the number of cores have an impact on efficiency (primes come in the game) but still ...

But for the time being I modify my planning back to single low-energy CPU for multiple GPU folding and continue dreaming on BA-4p folding. For that I will use my i7 2600; searching for a nice MB right now

Louis Wu

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2011
Toronto
Thanks for sharing ... I still wonder why ...
If I have a 4p system with 48 or 64 cores and have one of those dealing with a GPU that should not impact so much. I read somewhere that the number of cores have an impact on efficiency (primes come in the game) but still ...

But for the time being I modify my planning back to single low-energy CPU for multiple GPU folding and continue dreaming on BA-4p folding. For that I will use my i7 2600; searching for a nice MB right now

yeah, I don't know why either, but these guys sure know their stuff so I'd go with what they say. It sounds like it's a good idea to reserve 100% of everything for bigadv folding if you've got a machine that's capable of it...

(I hear that 3 slot motherboards are pricy so good luck on finding a decent one!)

Last edited:

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Original poster
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
ohh, the cores... thats what it's about:cool: if I could only steal some from work:eek: I digress---maybe that would get me to 1M ppd?:D

yes! go for it!

yeah, I don't know why either, but these guys sure know their stuff so I'd go with what they say. It sounds like it's a good idea to reserve 100% if everything for bigadv folding if you've got a machine that's capable of it...

(I hear that 3 slot motherboards are pricy so good luck on finding a decent one!)

i agree here.

Louis Wu

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2011
Toronto

I have to correct myself. Now that I'm looking closely, I've seen some Gigabyte boards for about $100 (after MIR) that have 3 16-lane slots... I'm thinking of getting one just so that with 2 cards you can keep them separated for cooling...

----------

not just about the cores -- I bet you could get to 1M ppd by turning up the clocks on your Titans :D

lordonuthin

macrumors 6502
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
I have to correct myself. Now that I'm looking closely, I've seen some Gigabyte boards for about $100 (after MIR) that have 3 16-lane slots... I'm thinking of getting one just so that with 2 cards you can keep them separated for cooling...

----------

not just about the cores -- I bet you could get to 1M ppd by turning up the clocks on your Titans :D

Sooo close today! Over 900k for 24 hrs! :D hmm, when it cools down a bit here I am going to see what some tweaking will do.

lordonuthin

macrumors 6502
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
Ok, so I got another Asus Z87-WS and the same CPU as Titan1 to replace the 980x machine. I now have Titan1 (4 Titan gpu's) and Titan2 (480, 660ti, Titan sc gpu's). No CPU folding on them, not worth it. As I was putting the new rig together I started doing other stuff and that turned into even more stuff and well I tried to re do my network, rearranged the computers, went through all of my computer parts boxes tossing a bunch of useless things, tried to get the win 7 key to work on the new rig; had to reinstall everything from scratch, I spent about 8 hours of folding downtime doing all of this... and it was hot in the basement.

All I really accomplished was to rearrange and clean things up a bit which I guess was worth it. Less cable clutter at least.

So here they are 1 on the left 2 on the right.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    275.2 KB · Views: 118

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
May 10, 2010
日本
As I was putting the new rig together I started doing other stuff and that turned into even more stuff and well I tried to re do my network, rearranged the computers, went through all of my computer parts boxes tossing a bunch of useless things, tried to get the win 7 key to work on the new rig; had to reinstall everything from scratch, I spent about 8 hours of folding downtime doing all of this... and it was hot in the basement.

All I really accomplished was to rearrange and clean things up a bit which I guess was worth it. Less cable clutter at least.

Nice ... Shuffle hardware is always fun. and this "Group of Four" looks really fantastic ... :cool:

What is the fan speed and temps on the Titans ? Looks narrow

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.