Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

toad77

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 6, 2010
Oklahoma City
I have a 5th generation AirPort Extreme connected to a 16-port gigabit switch and nearly everything in my house is connected via ethernet, including my Mac Mini. Attached to the AirPort, I have a 3TB external drive with its own power supply.

When I run Blackmagic disk speed test from the Mac Mini, I'm getting a paltry 8.0 MB/s write and 8.4 MB/s read from the the external drive attached to the AirPort.

3TB External Speed Test.png

If I run the same test against a different external drive attached to the AirPort, I get similar results.

Are these typical results or is something really wrong here?

To rule out the network, I ran another test against my Synology NAS. I'm getting 37.5 MB/s write and 83.2 MB/s read.

NAS speed test.png

rgarjr

macrumors 604
Apr 2, 2009
Southern California
I also have the same router and a 16GB flash drive attached to it and get the same slow results on the write/read speeds. So stick to a NAS or plug your USB drive to a computer on the network.

ColdCase

macrumors 68040
Feb 10, 2008
NH
The USB port on the AP extreme is for convenience only, not performance. Its intended more as a print share. A USB disk connected to a time capsule seems to work better as the TC is more disk centric, but it may still be slow compared to a quality NAS.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.