Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

davidra

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 12, 2011
I have Parallels 8 installed, and I am backing up my work PC to Dropbox. All my folders and files are uploaded and can be opened on my Mac and iPad, except for the files I copied from my desktop (includes some documents, some JPG's and others). When I access them via the PC, no problem. When I try and access them via iPad or iMac, all the files are listed as .lnk files. An example: academy.jpg.lnk.

When I try to open these on the Mac, it identifies the file as a Windows file and says it should be opened with Windows Explorer. When I click to open the file in Windows Explorer, with Coherence enabled, nothing happens. I'm unclear why JPG files copied from other folders on my pc are copied to Dropbox as JPG files, but when they are on the desktop (and they are on the desktop; there isn't a link to the photo somewhere else) they come up as a lnk file, along with PDF's and everything else on the desktop. I can delete them all and recopy them but I'm thinking this is a systems problem with the Windows desktop specifically. Any ideas?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.