Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

EA Sports has released Madden NFL 25 for iOS, the newest iteration in its popular sports franchise. The release marks the first time the game is free to play, along with offering in-app purchases for use with Madden's Ultimate Team feature which allows the user to collect player cards and use them in game. The game also features all 32 NFL teams and solo challenges, as well as new touch controls that allow for easier gestures.

madden251.jpeg
An experience 25 years in the making! EA SPORTS delivers the most authentic NFL football experience to date on iPhone® and iPad® with MADDEN NFL 25. Build your Ultimate Team of NFL stars and run the show on offense and defense with new and improved touch controls, game modes and much more!
madden252.jpeg
Madden NFL 25 can be downloaded from the App Store for free. [Direct Link]

Article Link: EA Sports Releases Free-To-Play Madden NFL 25 for iOS

Kissaragi

macrumors 68020
Nov 16, 2006
I remember playing NFL on the megadrive and not having a damn clue what was going on at all.

Last edited:

Bare

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2008
All iOS devices should have in-app purchases turned off by default so that you have to consciously turn them on. No way Apple would ship them like that, though.

bbeagle

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2010
Buffalo, NY
It's free to play as the Buffalo Bills, or other high school teams, but for real NFL teams you have to pay money.

:D

sethlution

macrumors regular
Dec 13, 2011
I miss the time when we could pay 10$ or less upfront and get a great quality game. But for the usual game these days, it's either play it for free at a ridiculous difficulty or pay 99$ for gem/gold/coins to play it at a super easy mode. It takes all the fun out of the game.

A good game should offer the game for free so that players can try it first for the first few levels/part, and then offer a one-time full game unlock for a finite amount of money and that's it. No more power up/heart/live... But then again, we don't live in a perfect world :(

blcamp

macrumors 6502
May 16, 2012
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
When In Detroit...

If you get pulled over for speeding in Detroit, you don't get a speeding ticket, you get a ticket to a Lions game.

If you get pulled over a second time, they make you USE it.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
It's free to play as the Buffalo Bills, or other high school teams, but for real NFL teams you have to pay money.

:D

Really? ****ing EA. If I want to play as the Bears then I should be able to. I want to just pay $9.99 as I have in the past and just play. I'll stick with Madden 12 and my mid-season progress on my XBox. EA will milk our asses for every penny and likely get away with it for a very long time.

springsup

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2013
Ah, the ever-increasing difference between "free" and "free-to-play".

The longer this goes on the harder it will be to stop/reverse.

Yes, it's a business model which can gets the developer more money, but so is racketeering and gambling and all kinds of user-unfriendly models.

Apple need to pull their finger out. They're responsible for a lot of this trend.

First they refused to allow trials/demos. The idea was that the App description would be all-important - but Apple didn't do enough in that area, either. No embedded videos mean that users don't get a good enough idea of how an App works.

This is where in-app purchases came from. Once the business model changed, the games had to change to fit the business model. By most accounts, these games are much less fun because they revolve around power-ups and constantly nag you for money. That's not to mention games that are totally abusive and change the rules of the game in-flight to tempt you to buy add-ons.

The AppStore is not good enough. It's been six years now, and we still have no clear paid upgrade mechanism or trial/demo system. What we have instead is a bunch of "games" that are basically disguised slot-machines.

Apple need to step up their game. Unfortunately developers have no choice of distribution on iOS, so we can't use competition to force them on. If you're unhappy with Apple's statuesque pace of progress on the AppStore your only choice is to ditch the entire platform.

Analog Kid

macrumors G3
Mar 4, 2003
I simply won't install freemium games, and EA seems to have decided to move their entire lineup that way (taking FireMint with them). I don't mind dropping $10 or even $20 for a quality game. I got annoyed by in-app advertising in the last version, and this one is a non-starter.

That's ok, this just gives small developers an advantage on the 800lb gorilla.

cmichaelb

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2008
Italy
700 MB app? Hard pass.

Why is that a hard pass?

----------

I simply won't install freemium games, and EA seems to have decided to move their entire lineup that way (taking FireMint with them). I don't mind dropping $10 or even $20 for a quality game. I got annoyed by in-app advertising in the last version, and this one is a non-starter.

That's ok, this just gives small developers an advantage on the 800lb gorilla.

I don't mind the model when done well( Plants vs Zombies II ), but having to pay for certain plays? That is totally ridiculous in a football game.

Kurri

macrumors 6502
Mar 6, 2009
people seem to complain about the free to play stuff, but it sells well. I think people should stop complaining and instead stop downloading this stuff.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.