Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Twelve South, the Apple accessory company behind the popular BookBook series of cases and a number of different stands, today introduced GhostStand, a new transparent stand designed to elevate any Mac notebook model.
GhostStand floats your MacBook display over six inches off your desk or table to a more comfortable viewing height. Park any MacBook on GhostStand and pair it with your favorite full-size keyboard to enjoy the comforts of a desktop system. The criss-crossed blades on this nearly invisible stand allow for grab-n-go convenience. When you're ready to pack up your MacBook and hit the road, simply unplug your power cable (and any USB cords) and go, leaving a mysterious sculpture behind.
twelve_south_ghoststand.jpg
The top and bottom edges of the stand include double-inlaid brushed metal rails lined with silicone to grip the user's notebook and protect the desk surface.

Twelve South touts that GhostStand is one of the lowest-priced MacBook stands available, priced at $34.99. The GhostStand can be ordered via Twelve South's site or through the online Apple Store.

Article Link: Twelve South Introduces Transparent 'GhostStand' for All MacBook Models

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
That's quite nice. TwelveSouth puts out some quality and useful products for sure. I love their silly backpacks.

ValSalva

macrumors 68040
Jun 26, 2009
Burpelson AFB
I agree, still using it for 3+ years and I can clean the aluminium and looks like new.

not sure with this clear transparent plastic, would get yellowed after a while probably.

How sturdy is it? It's so inexpensive that one would expect something 'cheap' and rickety.

jdechko

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2004
One of the biggest issues I see with 12 South's laptop stands is that they don't have a little lip at the front edge like the Rain Stand does. I know the 12 South's products have a grippy texture on the arms, but I think I'd feel more secure with having a barrier to keep it from sliding off.

Four oF NINE

macrumors 68000
Sep 28, 2011
Hell's Kitchen
I agree, still using it for 3+ years and I can clean the aluminium and looks like new.

not sure with this clear transparent plastic, would get yellowed after a while probably.

It's constructed of lucite. Lucite isn't plastic. It's a dense and substantial material, which you would know if you've ever handled any lucite paperweights.

Twelve South makes some fine quality products, I have their Book Book for iPhone, iPad, and MacBook

Xeem

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2005
Minnesota

Not sure if it's made of the same stuff, but my original Griffin iCurve still looks fantastic after many years of use. A little scuffed up in some bits, but clear as the day I bought it.

Maybe I'm just too nostalgic, but the Ghoststand brings back find memories of my G4 Cube and its acrylic Apple Cinema Display. I'll probably end up getting one.

webworks415

macrumors 6502
Dec 20, 2008
I recently switched from a BookArc to an mStand as I just bought a retina MBP.....couldn't be happier. I usually like TwelveSouth's design but this just looks like 2 plastic pieces together. Is it at least made of glass?

Edit: OK I read that it is lucite...I would still prefer glass. Just not for me.

Last edited:

sigma8

macrumors regular
Feb 2, 2005
I'm glad I still have my Griffin iCurve. Not sure why they discontinued that. It's not very portable, but then again neither are the desks you'd be always using it with.

My favorite thing about it is that it provides the most "overbite", so that I have a little bit of extra space for moving my mouse pad further back (so my hand goes a little bit underneath the laptop when I move to the top of the mousepad).

Not sure what it's made out of, but mine's still pretty clear. Can't see any yellow.

fpsBeaTt

Suspended
Apr 18, 2010
It'd ad a particular aesthetic that could be desirable to some, but other than that, it seems to be surpassed by other products in the same category (notably their hi-rise, which I'm very pleased with).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.