Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today added several new apps to the Apple TV, including the previously reported Vevo music video channel. Other new additions include a dedicated app for The Weather Channel, an app for the Smithsonian Channel, as well as two Disney television apps: Disney Channel and Disney XD.

apple_tv_vevo_more.jpg
Vevo has issued a press release announcing its arrival on the Apple TV, noting that it brings access to the site's library of 75,000 music videos.
Apple TV users are sure to recognize the intuitive and efficient design. VEVO viewers are able to quickly browse videos by featured artists including all of the latest premieres. VEVO includes multiple modes of discovery - you can watch on-demand videos from any genre or simply select any video that piques your interest. If you have something particular in mind, perform a search and we will surface what you're looking for right at your fingertips.
The Weather Channel app offers current conditions and forecasts for a variety of locations, as well as access to featured stories and Weather Channel shows.

The Smithsonian Channel offers on-demand access to streams of full episodes from the television channel, while the Disney Channel and Disney XD apps offer live and on-demand access with authentication through select television providers. Currently supported providers for the Disney apps include AT&T U-verse, Charter, Comcast, Cox, Midcontinent Communications, Optimum, and Verizon FiOS.

All of the new apps are available in the U.S., while availability in other countries varies. We're hearing that in many other countries Vevo is the only addition.

Update: Apple has updated its "What's on Apple TV" page to include the new apps, as well as a mention that iTunes Radio is coming soon.

Article Link: Apple TV Adds Apps for Vevo, Weather Channel, Disney, and Smithsonian Channel

musika

macrumors 65816
Sep 2, 2010
New York
Apple is getting quick with these Apple TV updates. If only I watched TV.

Seriously though, it's great to see. I've always thought that cheap little box powered by great software is the way to go, as opposed to making an all-in-one television set. Those rumors have seemed to die down quite a bit, though.

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
Seeing More Attention going to Apple TV has been great. Still wish it was open to application developers.....

Hopefully this update fixes my constant AppleTV errors with Netflix in the past couple weeks. Getting tired of having to go to the MacMini to watch from web :/ .

iRalph

macrumors member
Jun 8, 2012
Miami, Fl
I really like how we've seen new Apple TV Apps in the past couples months but it would be so much better if there was an App Store were you could download the apps you want and developers could be constantly updating them.

auero

macrumors 65816
Sep 15, 2006
This is great! I wish the companies who already stream online would join in (CNN as an example). All I need is Discovery/NatGeo and I'm sold.

Aidan5806

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2012
The only remaining services the Apple TV needs are Amazon Prime Instant Video and maybe an app store.

zed1291

macrumors regular
Jun 4, 2010
NYC
I wish there was a way to hide unused/unwanted apps. I will never watch Disney, especially since I don't have a cable subscription to log in for it.

SwiftLives

macrumors 65816
Dec 7, 2001
Charleston, SC
Apple has got to be working on opening up the AppleTV to user-installable apps.

Then again, if they really were, they would have held onto these apps and announced them at the next media event.

Sky Blue

Jan 8, 2005
Would love an NBC Sports app to watch the football.

Plex app would be great also, but that's a stretch.

chuges

macrumors member
Oct 31, 2011
I wish there was a way to hide unused/unwanted apps. I will never watch Disney, especially since I don't have a cable subscription to log in for it.

You can hide them if you activate parental controls under general settings

Lord Hamsa

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2013
I'm less interested in an AppleTV "app store" and more interested in seeing if adding these "authentication required" channels is just a step toward making the same channels(and more to come, I hope) available as direct subscriptions without an associated cable account in the future.

MarkG21

macrumors regular
Mar 21, 2010

there is. its somewhere in the settings. I think under parental controls?

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Disney Channel is a good place to watch who the next hot mess will be. :D

Excited about the additions for sure. Just expanding on the ATV is always good.

DianeK

macrumors regular
Jun 4, 2013
Apple has got to be working on opening up the AppleTV to user-installable apps.

Then again, if they really were, they would have held onto these apps and announced them at the next media event.

I too wish they would open it to user installed apps. The Berlin philharmonic digital concert hall is a real gem and it would be nice to not have to use the iPad app and mirror.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.