Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
Don't get me wrong, my next tablet in a couple years is probably going to be a full OS tablet, completing my shift to one device. I think atom tablets are getting there, but I don't think they're my answer just yet.

Like I've said to others, the main reason I got my Surface was full Office. Now if only the web apps did Real Time Collab, because GDocs works crappy on a lot of browsers that aren't Chrome.

You got the surface RT or the surface Pro? I didn't get either of those because of my needs, RT didn't have legacy programs and the Pro was too heavy,thick, poor battery life and had horrible scaling.

I'm with you though, in a year or 2 the windows tablets are going to be pretty awesome, especially as we see power and battery life converge into one device.

Reactions: Billy95Tech

Michael Goff

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 5, 2012
You got the surface RT or the surface Pro? I didn't get either of those because of my needs, RT didn't have legacy programs and the Pro was too heavy,thick, poor battery life and had horrible scaling.

I'm with you though, in a year or 2 the windows tablets are going to be pretty awesome, especially as we see power and battery life converge into one device.

RT. It is 350$ and I needed Office anyway.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
I know, I know, grandma.

Seriously, though, it seems weird these days when people talk about burning a CD.

Lol, so 24 is the new 94? :D

I had a Tablet PC with no CD drive, it drove me NUTS.

I don't use it all the time, but it's there when I do need it occasionally, like for buying albums on the cheap and importing them into iTunes.

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
I would get a surface pro but not iOS or Android in a laptop. In fact when I get around to getting another laptop it will be windows based.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
That's essentially what I did when I got the Asus Transformer with keyboard.

Then there is the iPad with logitech Ultrathin.

Then there is my Samsung Chromebook.

Hell if you took a Samsung Series 9 and Dropped in pure android I bet the majority of PC consumers could easily have their needs met.

Last edited:

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
Simple question could be the mobile OS of your choice (Windows Phone, iOS, Android, BB10, webOS, etc).

Would you see yourself being able to add a keyboard (maybe in a transformer or Surface sense) and go to town?

Closest I would get is the Samsung ATIV Q, was going to take a serious look at it but, but sadly now it appears it may not even make it to release. :(

Last edited:

DeathTheKid

macrumors member
Aug 12, 2013
Hell no! A mobile OS is for smaller devices where using a desktop is impractical given their size. If I get something that has a full keyboard/trackpad and a 11-13 inch screen then it loses it practicality.

Now let's take this in a different, would you buy a phone that had a full desktop OS? Like an iPhone with Mac OS X on it?

Michael Goff

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 5, 2012
Hell no! A mobile OS is for smaller devices where using a desktop is impractical given their size. If I get something that has a full keyboard/trackpad and a 11-13 inch screen then it loses it practicality.

Now let's take this in a different, would you buy a phone that had a full desktop OS? Like an iPhone with Mac OS X on it?

No, primarily because of the power use difference.

Billy95Tech

Suspended
Apr 18, 2014
I think atom tablets are getting there, but I don't think they're my answer just yet.

I think Windows tablets with Core M CPU are the answer now!

Because the Core M CPU have the performance of between a I3 and I5 Core and and very good battery life and the chip itself is all so smaller so that means more thinner and more portable Windows tablets! :)

I think when the times comes for me buying a new Windows 8 tablet/2-1 hybrid it will have M Core CPU or otherwise it will have I5 Core CPU as i make Youtube videos.

Last edited:

Billy95Tech

Suspended
Apr 18, 2014
But Android tablets and Ipads are definitely here to stay and still have a future as not everybody wants a Windows tablet!!!!

I always find Android tablets and Ipads way way more appealing than Windows tablets!! :)

Last edited:

M. Gustave

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2015
Grand Budapest Hotel
Simple question could be the mobile OS of your choice (Windows Phone, iOS, Android, BB10, webOS, etc).

Would you see yourself being able to add a keyboard (maybe in a transformer or Surface sense) and go to town?

I for one would welcome an iOS or Android laptop, with a high quality pre-calibrated screen. The only thing more ugly and annoying than Windows, is OSX. I can't stand using them, and I have 18-years of experience as an IT professional. My last remaining reason for using a Windows box, Photoshop/Lightroom, is something I'm currently trying to phase out using web apps. As I mentioned in another thread, I'm considering a Chromebook/box ultimately, for that reason. It's a cost/headache/usability/feng shui calculation. ;-)

An iPad isn't the same thing. I love mine, but the small screen size, and lack of mouse/trackpad input takes it out of the running as a desktop replacement... for now.

OS choice should be based on the software you need to run, and how you want to interact with the machine. So I don't think this is at all a silly question. iOS and Android apps can cover just about any task most people need to get done, and we know they can scale to high res screen sizes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.