Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

satyrica

macrumors member
Jan 9, 2011
Long Beach, CA
Srsly

Can apple just make a world-class ATV so we can use it with 1080p and mkv files? Seriously, I'm sick of this low-class crapulent "hobby" idiocy... :mad:

Dalton63841

macrumors 65816
Nov 27, 2010
SEMO, USA
http://langui.sh/2013/08/27/appletv-ssl-plexconnect/

A user over at the Plex forums created a fix. Haven't tried it yet.

This works PERFECTLY. I just backed out to the main menu and sure enough, PlexConnect stopped working. Decided to test this out and 5 minutes later I'm back using PlexConnect to watch my stuff. All this tutorial does is create a certificate for Plex Media Server, and tweak Plex Connect to use SSL.

Last edited:

jmcgeejr

macrumors 6502
Oct 7, 2010
Seattle, WA
You don't need Plex folks. Ever heard of iTunes Home Sharing?

Store everything on your Mac or PC, (including externally attached hard drive), and then log into iTunes on your Apple TV, and turn on Home Sharing.

Besides, if you want to access your content on the go, I would rather bring my external hard drive with me to my friend's house (or my Mac or PC) and just airplay it.

You don't need it, and frankly, I'm glad Apple fixed this loophole, because it can become a security risk in the long run. (there is a way to exploit this and allow some thief to log your iTunes password, and then using that, to rack up lots of iTunes purchases.

You obviously dont have a huge library, there is NO POSSIBLE WAY I would think of using iTunes for all my movies and tv, and then having to recode all my older media to fit into Apples format, fug that.

macUser2007

macrumors 68000
May 30, 2007
Keep the walls up, Apple.

Because of Apple's shortsightedness, Google will own the living room market in a couple of years, just like it took over the smart phone market.

I will just go back to using my HTPC for now, but really hope that within a few months that $35 Chrome dongle I bought "just because" picks ups both apps and steam.

:(

Actually, Google's DIAL protocol already has a decent list of names supporting it with Chrome barely out of the door: http://www.dial-multiscreen.org/dial-registry/namespace-database

Last edited:

monty77

macrumors 6502a
Mar 4, 2005
UK, South Coast
You obviously dont have a huge library, there is NO POSSIBLE WAY I would think of using iTunes for all my movies and tv, and then having to recode all my older media to fit into Apples format, fug that.

..I get his point though. I caved in and went the iTunes way for all my stuff a few years back - I use the same media on all iOS devices I own so there was no point fighting it really.

Agree the client is a bit toilet for large libraries though. My biggest wish is to drop the need for iTunes to be running - even if they make me get an Airport extreme or some such as the alternative.

Dalton63841

macrumors 65816
Nov 27, 2010
SEMO, USA
..I get his point though. I caved in and went the iTunes way for all my stuff a few years back - I use the same media on all iOS devices I own so there was no point fighting it really.

Agree the client is a bit toilet for large libraries though. My biggest wish is to drop the need for iTunes to be running - even if they make me get an Airport extreme or some such as the alternative.

Personally I wish they would open up Home Sharing so that you could use a NAS instead of needing a computer running iTunes.

JGRE

macrumors 65816
Oct 10, 2011
Dutch Mountains

Store everything on your Mac or PC, (including externally attached hard drive), and then log into iTunes on your Apple TV, and turn on Home Sharing.

Besides, if you want to access your content on the go, I would rather bring my external hard drive with me to my friend's house (or my Mac or PC) and just airplay it.

You don't need it, and frankly, I'm glad Apple fixed this loophole, because it can become a security risk in the long run. (there is a way to exploit this and allow some thief to log your iTunes password, and then using that, to rack up lots of iTunes purchases.

Well, let it be even more easier than this: use Beamer app, no conversion to iTunes format, just play original MKVs and it also supports DTS. :D

----------

Personally I wish they would open up Home Sharing so that you could use a NAS instead of needing a computer running iTunes.

You don't need to run iTunes, use Beamer app, way easier and DTS support (sounds much better).

Dalton63841

macrumors 65816
Nov 27, 2010
SEMO, USA
Well, let it be even more easier than this: use Beamer app, no conversion to iTunes format, just play original MKVs and it also supports DTS. :D

----------

You don't need to run iTunes, use Beamer app, way easier and DTS support (sounds much better).

Beamer is 100% thoroughly useless when your setup needs to be family approved. To be fair, Beamer is AWESOME, but WAF(Wife Acceptance Factor) = 0%.

Jeaz

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2009
Sweden

If your media is in h264 codecs chances are that you don't need to recode the media, just replace the container. As an example, iFlicks does that for you and it only takes 2-3 mins for a 2 hour video. Also sorts meta-data and so on for you, and you can queue up content.

JGRE

macrumors 65816
Oct 10, 2011
Dutch Mountains
Beamer is 100% thoroughly useless when your setup needs to be family approved. To be fair, Beamer is AWESOME, but WAF(Wife Acceptance Factor) = 0%.

:D You are absolutly right, I should keep the WAF in mind. Actually, I am going to forward your reply (not going to mention your name) to the Beamer Guys, as it is a very good remark.

Cancelled
Apr 10, 2012

----------

How do I go about selecting what to play with Beamer in my living room when my iMac is in the home office?

It doesn't seem easy to me.

MikeyMike01

macrumors 6502
Apr 4, 2010

I have a server. It serves my content.

I don't want (and shouldn't have) to run some hokey garbage on a laptop (I no longer have a desktop) to do what my server is specifically designed to do, and does a great job doing.

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
Typical for Apple. They kill all innovation - also see their strict anti-jailbreaking stance.

----------

I found another solution which involves an iPhone, iPad or later Macs. If you go to my.plexapp.com and find your server or directly connect using your IP on your local network and port 32400 you can browse what's on your plex server from any device that has AirPlay mirroring or additional screen and stream the content from your browser to your AppleTV.

The downside of this method is obviously the need for an additional intermediary device which also requires a more robust network (that is in the iOS device scenario). Indeed you're now streaming encoded content between your server and AirPlay device and decoded/compressed content between the latter and your Apple TV.
The upside however, is the lack of any hacks required to make this work.

Has anyone found other workarounds?

Via UPnP - see https://forums.macrumors.com/posts/16503806/

----------

Can apple just make a world-class ATV so we can use it with 1080p and mkv files? Seriously, I'm sick of this low-class crapulent "hobby" idiocy... :mad:

They won't. You wouldn't purchase from iTunes Store -MKV's aren't their native formats.

----------

If your media is in h264 codecs chances are that you don't need to recode the media, just replace the container. As an example, iFlicks does that for you and it only takes 2-3 mins for a 2 hour video. Also sorts meta-data and so on for you, and you can queue up content.

In most cases, even better alternatives are Subler and MP4Tools.

Last edited by a moderator:

kiantech

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2007

:rolleyes: itunes home sharing! HA. Plex is a whole other cookie.

Also the trailers app never negotiate your itunes credentials, don't make up things you do not understand.

Motion2082

macrumors newbie
Feb 16, 2013
this is the only reason i purchase ATV

What a FU$#%!CKEN let down APPLE. Just wanted ATV to install Plex and watch my media.....

Che Castro

macrumors 603
May 21, 2009

Most mkv are h264 , that means you can just muxed the file using mp4tools & turn it into mp4 in one minute

No need to convert , so people who complain about mkv and Apple TV could do this and use home sharing

I converted my entire mkv collection like 1,000 movies using this method in like an hour or 2
Just by dragging all the movies in to iflicks and hitting start
Iflicks is the same as mp4tools but iflicks will add the metadata for you

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.