Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

limoni

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 7, 2008
Hi

Can I track down number of recipients in an incoming email (the sum of the TO and CC contacts)? Also, once receiving an incoming email, it is possible to track down if I (i.e. my email address) was in the TO or the CC field?

Both question apply to Gmail and MS exhange based apps.
Cheers
Eddie

Tander

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2011
Johannesburg, South Africa
Hi

Can I track down number of recipients in an incoming email (the sum of the TO and CC contacts)? Also, once receiving an incoming email, it is possible to track down if I (i.e. my email address) was in the TO or the CC field?

Both question apply to Gmail and MS exhange based apps.
Cheers
Eddie

I'm not sure what you're asking here - so I'll take a stab in the dark.

If you're asking if you can build an app that can track down this info from the two apps you've mentioned, then the answer is No.

If you're asking if these two apps have these features - not too sure, but I doubt it.

The reason you can't build an app to read data from another app is due to sandboxing. Apple have made it so your app exists in its entity and doesn't effect other apps. You also cannot read sms, iMessages, phone calls, etc.

I hope this answers your questions.

limoni

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 7, 2008
Some thoughts regarding your feedback

Well, the idea is to integrate with 3rd party email provider such as Gmail/Google Apps. In this specific scenario I am referring to
https://developers.google.com/gmail/contextual_gadgets

and specifically to "google.com:RecipientEmailExtractor" which according to Google, extracts all email addresses in the To: and CC: lines of the email. Therefore I can count # of emails.

So the question is whether it's possible to count # of recipients in an iPhone app?

Tander

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2011
Johannesburg, South Africa
Well, the idea is to integrate with 3rd party email provider such as Gmail/Google Apps. In this specific scenario I am referring to
https://developers.google.com/gmail/contextual_gadgets

and specifically to "google.com:RecipientEmailExtractor" which according to Google, extracts all email addresses in the To: and CC: lines of the email. Therefore I can count # of emails.

So the question is whether it's possible to count # of recipients in an iPhone app?

The API you are referring is used for Google's Apps in their Market Place and in house applications such as the Google Apps Console.

If you're wanting to intercept these emails as they come in to your phone - then the answer is no.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.