Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

red_ipod_nano_watch-250x215.png
According to analyst Wanli Wang at CIMB Securities, as shared by The Economic Times, Taiwan based electronics manufacturers Inventec and Quanta have won contracts to produce Apple's iWatch. Wang's supply chain sources indicate that Inventec will produce the majority of the iWatch at 60%, while Quanta will handle the remaining portion of production. The report also claims that the iWatch will sell for an average of $199 and projects shipments of 63.4 million units in the year after its launch.
"Apple is likely to introduce 'iWatch' in 2014. From our channel checks, Inventec is the major assembly source for 'iWatch', with about 60 per cent of order allocation," said CIMB Securities analyst Wanli Wang in a report.

CIMB projects 63.4 million units of "iWatch" shipments in the year after its launch with an average price of around $199, while the "iWatch" project is estimated to contribute 19 per cent of Inventec's earnings in 2014, Wang said.
Supply chain sources do on occasion offer accurate information on Apple's plans, but they are also prone to sharing incorrect or incomplete information, so their reliability is difficult to ascertain.

CIMB's pricing and unit shipments also appear to be based more on speculation and modeling than any specific information, suggesting that they should be taken with considerable skepticism.

In the past couple of months, Apple has been reportedly been ramping up its iWatch effort, hiring new employees with expertise in health sensors, including fitness expert and Nike product consultant Jay Blahnik. Apple has also been filing trademark applications on the iWatch name in a number of countries, and is reportedly looking toward a late 2014 launch for the product as it works to solve numerous technical challenges.

Article Link: Analyst 'Channel Checks' Suggest iWatch Coming in 2014, Pricing Guessed at $199

jmh600cbr

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2012
It would be great if it came before samsungs. It's really sad that Apple is coming second these days.

lars666

macrumors 65816
Jul 13, 2008
It would be great if it came before samsungs. It's really sad that Apple is coming second these days.

Calm down, everybody else, I'll do the necessary typing work. Here we go: Apple also was second or later with mp3 players, smartphones and tablets ... And you see how this worked out.

mbh

macrumors 6502
Jul 18, 2002
These analysts can't even predict sales of existing products with any accuracy. Now they're predicting sales of products that don't exist yet?

AAPL downgraded to sell today because predicted sales of non-existent products fell short of previous predictions.

ValSalva

macrumors 68040
Jun 26, 2009
Burpelson AFB
Analyst 'Channel Checks'. Made me think of something...

Can you imagine a cable television channel called "The Analyst Channel"? The place to go for self-interested speculation and wrong information :D

Suspended
Mar 23, 2006
England
Can't wait to see what they do. 2014 looks like it's going to be an exciting year with the iWatch, iPhone 6, 13" iPad, possible iTV, etc.

jmh600cbr

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2012
Calm down, everybody else, I'll do the necessary typing work. Here we go: Apple also was second or later with mp3 players, smartphones and tablets ... And you see how this worked out.

They were second with smartphone and maybe a poorly made tablet had come out but they were the first to properly to develop a touch screen device capable of being a baseline for a other products. Here's the issue: everyone else has caught up, samsung and google are a great team and they can actually blow Apple away. The trick in tech is shock factor and if samsungs comes first and is "virtually" the same as iwatch the shock is gone.

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
I don't think it will start at $199. Anything more than $99 for entry and it won't sell.

everything-i

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2012
London, UK
Yeh, right. Like the Apple 40" or was it 50" or maybe 45" television which was supposed to be out last year or was it this year. These guys don't have a clue.:rolleyes:

FelixAng

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2013
Hong Kong
1st gen Apple products usually do well, but they're often missing important components. My bet is that the 2nd gen iWatch will add a front-facing camera.

It would have to be a beautiful watch to compete with Rolex/Piaget/Omega/Citizen and numerous others. On the other hand, this could be the first major development since wind-up watches went digital, and the general popularion would eat it up. The difference between a Rolex and iWatch is simple: iWatch will lose resale value everyday one owns it; Rolex is an investment purchase.

bbeagle

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2010
Buffalo, NY

Samsung's watch will be nothing like Apple's watch. Apple will undoubtedly have a completely different form factor and way to use it than current smartwatches out there. Same as Apple did with the iPod, iPhone and iPad. Those weren't first either, but changed the game.

Why does anyone think Apple is EVER first to market with ANYTHING? They're always trailing behind, but they're FIRST to understand what people actually want.

----------

$200 for a watch? are you serious? but, why am i expecting low prices from apple, my mistake:rolleyes:

You DO understand that Android smart watches out right now cost more than $200?

$235 for this one, the Z1. It's got to be the worst interface imaginable. Simply take the existing Android OS and make it smaller? That is NOT the way Apple would go, which is why this watch will fail. But, but, it's got all the bells and whistles, right, Android fans?

Z1 2.0 inch Android 2.2 Smart Watch Phone with Bluetooth,GPS,e-book,MP3,MP4,MMS,Camera,Compass

http://www.handgiftbox.com/Z1-2.0-inch-Android-2.2-Smart-Watch-Phone-with-Bluetooth-GPS-e-book-MP3-MP4-MMS-Camera-Compass_p11233.html?gclid=CJ7r5vDIoLkCFQya4AodYQsAOw

pcJmac

macrumors newbie
Aug 28, 2013
While it is true that "the early bird gets the worm", I would like to point out that it is "the 2nd mouse who gets the cheese"...

ClemyNX

macrumors member
Jul 11, 2008
they can actually blow Apple away.

What are they waiting for then?

----------

That watch looks horrible indeed. Are we sure it's a real thing? I mean, someone actually thought that having an interface with minuscule details would work? I imagine all the people queuing up so that they can finally read A game of Thrones on their android watch! lol

Last edited by a moderator:

lars666

macrumors 65816
Jul 13, 2008
They were second with smartphone and maybe a poorly made tablet had come out but they were the first to properly to develop a touch screen device capable of being a baseline for a other products.

You are correct, but you know - there's always this one guy who screams: "APPLE DIDN'T INVENT THE SMARTPHONE, THERE WERE TOUCHSCREENS BEFORE!!!!!!!!1111!!!!ELEVEN!!!!!" ... :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.