Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

applecare_plus_icon-150x150.jpg
Apple is planning on launching its AppleCare+ extended warranty service in Europe soon, according to a report from the French blog iGen [Google Translate].

Apple launched the $99 AppleCare+ for iPhone in the U.S. in 2011, offering two years of extended warranty protection and coverage for two incidents related to accidental damage, albeit with a $49 service fee. The program was later expanded to the iPad. AppleCare+ is also available in Canada and Japan.

In Europe, customers have been limited to the standard AppleCare for iPhone and iPad products, which only covers warranty-related claims -- not accidental damage.

Apple has faced significant criticism from consumer associations in a number of European countries including Belgium, Germany, Luxembourg, and Portugal. EU consumer protection laws are more stringent than those in the United States, and Apple has been sued because of allegedly misleading statements given by Apple on its websites and in its retail stores regarding the differences between warranties required by law and what Apple offers in its AppleCare service plans.

Article Link: AppleCare+ Possibly Launching Soon in Europe

Klae17

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2011
I would love a naked iPhone but I have the incipio wallet case! A thinner phone with apple care + and a wallet, or a thicker phone with wallet included?! First world problems.

radus

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2009
they need to do this

a lot of my friends are not amused with their broken iPhone screen -- so they just bought Android devices like the Sony xperia zl with protected screens ...
Apple must offer this kind of service in Euorpe if they want to keep at least some customers !

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
Whats the betting that they 'accidentally' screw up the wording again and have the know-it-alls at the EU in Brussels moan at them again?

pubwvj

macrumors 68000
Oct 1, 2004
Mountains of Vermont
Apple should do AppleCare indefinitely and offer support for old OS's and hardware indefinitely. The current hardware, even an iOS device, is powerful enough to emulate the old hardware and software. There is a tremendous amount of data, media and software that is lost because Apple obsolesces.

Klae17

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2011
Apple should do AppleCare indefinitely and offer support for old OS's and hardware indefinitely. The current hardware, even an iOS device, is powerful enough to emulate the old hardware and software. There is a tremendous amount of data, media and software that is lost because Apple obsolesces.

I rather them not. More revenue, less development costs, more profit, better for stock prices and my dividends in the long run.

Jeaz

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2009
Sweden
Tbh, it's a bit odd that this hasn't happened sooner, given that the normal AppleCare is mainly covered by laws, and thus sales should be lower than in the US.

However, this isn't something covered by law and would make an excellent business opportunity for Apple.

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011

I completely agree. My 2001 TiBook should still be supported. Also, my Macintosh 128K was discontinued. Can you believe it?!

sransari

macrumors 6502
Feb 11, 2005
Worthless product...even without apple care you will get a replacement for known defects like a faulty power button. And to pay $99 + $49 for apple care to get a replacement when even a paid replacement is what...$199 I believe? So pay $148 to maybe save $51?

xAnthony

macrumors 65816
Mar 2, 2010
Worthless product...even without apple care you will get a replacement for known defects like a faulty power button. And to pay $99 + $49 for apple care to get a replacement when even a paid replacement is what...$199 I believe? So pay $148 to maybe save $51?

A replacement device is around $229 plus tax. There's a significant difference. Also, some of us prefer the extra year warranty it comes with.

I had a lot of trouble with my iPhone 4, and the phone almost got to a point where it was useless and I could hardly use it. Apple would not replace it and wanted to charge me $199 for a replacement. I was furious as this was just after my warranty expired. There's no way I'm dealing with that again. I paid an extra $100, and now I have peace of mind. Definitely worth it in my mind.

phoenixsan

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2012
Maybe a nice thing.....

in Europe, where each country applies different standards and coverages in insurance for mobiles. Risky for Apple, seeing how had fared in courts, as in Italy, per example.....

:):apple:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.