Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dingdongbubble

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 1, 2007
I want to share photos with family and friends, but I dont want the photos to be exposed to the internet indefinitely. I am thinking I could use either SafeMonk or BitTorrent Sync.

SafeMonk would have my photos encrypted and I would be able to revoke the ability to access them when I want to. But the photos would be in the cloud (though encrypted) and I don't know what level of paranoia is reasonable these days really.

On the other hand I could have BitTorrent Sync which would also be encrypted and would avoid the cloud. It feels more private being decentralized. But I would have less information about who is accessing the photos. With SafeMonk only the people who I intend to show the photos would be able to access them and I would have confirmation about who is accessing them, etc. Whereas with BitTorrent Sync anyone who finds out the secret key would be able to access the photos.

Any ideas, comments, subtle things I have forgotten?

Nov 28, 2010
located
You could also look into Dropbox and its feature to share folders with photos, and while in the cloud, only people with the shared link can access it and people, who are willing to hack that Dropbox account, which should be approaching zero, unless you are already targeted by numerous agencies to be spied upon.

dingdongbubble

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 1, 2007
Well what I am looking for is a sense of privacy. What's behind the wire is hidden, could be anyone after me or no one after me, there's no way for me to know. So all I want is a sense of privacy and the confidence that no one could be snooping on me for whatever reason.

As for Dropbox it is well known that employees can easily access your files if they wanted. It sounds absurd to me that anyone would want to watch my silly pics but the sense of privacy is completely removed by this fact. Hence SafeMonk comes in which encrypts your Dropbox files before uploading them.

As for Photo stream I don't know how it would work with a PC or Android (receiving person).

newwavedave

macrumors member
Apr 7, 2004
Tampa, FL
As for Photo stream I don't know how it would work with a PC or Android (receiving person).

PhotoStream sets up a PUBLIC website for users that don't use iCloud. PC users with iCloud Control Panel would be able to receive photos without issue. People with Adroids and no way of accessing iCloud are pretty much going to have to use that public website.

What about Google Drive? I hear Google is super secure.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.