Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

petsounds

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2007
Clayton is legit. You can not believe it because of who signs his paychecks if you want, but that's pretty silly. You do know that All Things D and The Wall Street Journal are also owned by News Corp., right?

Clayton may or may not be legit, but WSJ have been fairly biased in their reporting in the past, and Kara Swisher from All Things D/WSJ tried to manipulate the Yahoo CEO choice, according to the Business Insider piece on Marissa Mayer that came out recently.

And where Fox News is concerned, I generally question any reporting from that org because most is slanted and unprofessional. But perhaps their tech reporting rises to a higher standard.

SockRolid

macrumors 68000
Jan 5, 2010
Almost Rock Solid
We have no such thing here in Canada. Our terms are three years, with no early termination fee. We simply buy out the remaining cost of the subsidized phone.

Wow. Thanks for telling me that! I knew about the 3 year deal, but not the buy-out option. (And I should have tagged my OP with "in the U.S.")

chrmjenkins

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2007
MD
Uhh, no, not at all.

The iOS kernel is based on the OSX kernel which has already gone through two 32->64 bit transitions, on both big and little-endian hardware. I would imagine there's very little of it that is not wrapped in macros which will automatically compile appropriately. There'll be the usual necessity for some manual intervention for VM and atomics, nothing that hasn't been done before.

The ARM A8 manuals describe how to run existing 32-bit binaries, and it doesn't involve emulation, any more than running 32-bit x86 binaries requires emulation. Finally, Apple is, you know, a SECRETIVE company. If they want to keep this secret until launch, they will not have this into the SDK. After all, it's not necessary right now.

The advantages of going to 64 bit for Apple are
- boasting. (Not technically important, but a way to impress the crowd who are excited by Moto's X8 architecture and Samsung's Octacore)

- allows them to move to >4GB of RAM EASILY and without a period of frustration. Apple has handled pretty much all these transitions well --- because they planned EARLY. MS and the Intel world have NOT handled them well (32->64 bit, various jumps in HD sizes, 4K disk sectors) because they DON'T plan years in advance.

- the sooner they go 64-bit the sooner they can use the A8 architecture. This is the real win, more so than a larger address space. The A8 architecture was ARM's chance to rethink everything they've done over the past ten years or so, improve what works well, and drop what was a bad idea.

The A8 architecture is several years old now. I assume you're referring to the ARMv8 ISA.

SockRolid

macrumors 68000
Jan 5, 2010
Almost Rock Solid
Why would you upgrade? IOS 7 will be available to owners of last 3 models. As for the fingerprint scanner it's not going to motivate you to upgrade. It's just a bonus.

Well, I'm on the even-year plan at AT&T. I got my iPhone 5 in Sept. 2012, and I'll be getting my next iPhone whenever Apple releases their 2014 model (the "iPhone 6" or more likely "the new iPhone".)

My iPhone 5 has a dual-core 32-bit A6 processor, this year's iPhone "5S" will have a dual-core 64-bit A7 processor (if the rumors are correct) and who knows what the 2014 iPhone will have? The sheer processing power increase, alone, would be worth it. Especially if iOS 8 has more graphics- and computation-intensive features. Add other hardware features, ones that you actually see and feel, and upgrading to the 2014 iPhone will be a no-brainer.

What's that? Not worth the $199? Well how well do you think your 2-year old iPhone's battery will be holding up? And would it be worth the $79 to replace the battery in your old iPhone just to keep it running for another 2 years?

Oh, and don't forget that your current iPhone will have good resale value.
I'm sure you'll be able to get about $200 for your 2012 iPhone 5 in 2014.
A quick search on eBay shows iPhone 4 (not even 4S) selling for about $200.

So no. The question isn't "Why would you upgrade?"
The question is "Why wouldn't you upgrade?"

haravikk

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2005
I'm a bit dubious about 64-bit; they mention it making animations smoother but surely that's more up to the GPU?

While I'd love to see mobile 64-bit, I'm not sure there's much demand for it really as it's not like phones are struggling with a lack of RAM for all that high-end video editing we're doing on them…

fredf

macrumors 6502
Oct 31, 2008
Frankly I don't think we need a faster processor. We need more capable software....like multitasking.
The current iOS isn't utilizing the hardware capabilities.

pearvsapple

macrumors 6502
Feb 1, 2012
31% faster for them demanding fart apps! How about start bringing quality desktop softwares first instead of these crapwares that plagues mobile devices.

MacSince1990

macrumors 65816
Oct 6, 2009
64-bit seems unlikely since it would require a complete re-write of the iOS kernel, and existing 32-bit applications would need to be run in emulation. Wouldn't we have seen some signs in the developer toolkit if it were 64-bit?

No, wrong.

And being a developer doesn't make you special :)

----------

64bit doubles the memory bandwidth and therefore the transfer from and to the GPU. That's a major improvement. It's not about address space, but bandwidth.

Lol? No it doesn't? Doubling bus width doubling memory bandwidth.. implementing a 64-bit ALU and 64-bit registers doesn't double memory bandwidth LOL!

Bahroo

macrumors 68000
Jul 21, 2012
its most likely a more energy efficient, overclocked A6 with possibly LPDDR3 memory as opposed to the LPDDR2 in the iphone 5 right now

1.6 ghz-1.8 ghz dual swift cores(iphone 5 is 1.3 ghz dual swift cores)

that along with upgrade in the GPU obviously as well, the 5S is going to be incredibly smooth,fast and fluent

everything-i

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2012
London, UK
I'll admit, I'm disappointed.

I have a 4S and probably won't upgrade, but I was hoping for another "twice as fast as the previous generation." I can't picture Phil on stage marketing ""31% faster!" I can picture him saying "over 30% faster," but it seems strangely less effective.

Other new products this year have focused more on improved battery life at the expense of raw processor speed and this may also be the case here. If they can get a 30% improvement and decent increase in battery life that will be more impressive than simply doubling processor speed. Its getting to the stage now where just upping processor speed is change for the sake of it as the 5 is already more than fast enough for any apps I have seen.

MacSince1990

macrumors 65816
Oct 6, 2009
Yes and from day one they should support hyperthreading, and a desktop class gpu, and sse, altivec, mmx, and virtualization and 16gb ram and 1tb ssd

Anyone who does not support AltiVec from day one is simply not a serious contender in the hardware world.

:D

kwrzesien

macrumors member
Jun 27, 2013
31% faster than "fast enough"

Really I'm not sure why I need more CPU than my iPhone 5. Maybe for a few AAA games, but they are still more GPU and heat/battery constrained. Whatever makes the battery last longer is what I want. Dual core, quad core (lower voltage), extra core, octa core, whatever. So far I don't see any solution giving a huge advantage over the others, but Apple is always at or near the top of the charts in performance and battery life.

I'm more interested in what they do on the GPU side, especially for the next generation with a larger & higher-resolution screen? :cool:

heutusops

macrumors regular
Aug 6, 2013
although making a faster and more efficient chip is important, but apple should also focus on multi-core CPUs and GPUs.

Klosefabrinio

macrumors regular
Aug 10, 2013
Don't matter. ios will run better than any android device on those snapdragons. It's just too well optimized. What matters is if this will be just another boring spec upgrade, or will something new and exciting come forward.

i hereby confirm that you have never used any android phone(which uses snapdragon pro)

businezguy

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2003
I plan to clog up the lockscreen with useful items via IntelliScreen for jailbroken iOS7...so it'll be useless to me.

Just polishing up my Mission:Impossible spy kit, can't wait to start lifting fingerprints and unlocking phones :p

You need to really try the James Bond edition, it adds charm mode, and somehow while using it hard liquor tastes better. Stay away from the Austin Powers edition, it's a joke.

Last edited:

Renzatic

Suspended
Just polishing up my Mission:Impossible spy kit, can't wait to start lifting fingerprints and unlocking phones :p

The Mission: Impossible kit would be the last one I'd use on my iPhone. I mean just imagine, you miss a call from your mom, and she leaves a voice message...

"Hey Dreamliner, it's your mom. Just calling to let you know dinner with the family is on for this Friday at the Red Lobster near the mall. Hope to see you there"!

*...this message will self destruct in 5 seconds*

NO, DAMNIT! NO! I JUST GOT THIS PHONE!

Dreamliner330

macrumors 6502a
Sep 1, 2011
A7 Processor to Be 31% Faster and 64-Bit, iPhone 5S to Support Motion Tracking?

The Mission: Impossible kit would be the last one I'd use on my iPhone. I mean just imagine, you miss a call from your mom, and she leaves a voice message...

"Hey Dreamliner, it's your mom. Just calling to let you know dinner with the family is on for this Friday at the Red Lobster near the mall. Hope to see you there"!

*...this message will self destruct in 5 seconds*

NO, DAMNIT! NO! I JUST GOT THIS PHONE!
12 Points for you sir!

...I actually had dinner with the gaily at Red Lobster about a month ago or so.

haravikk

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2005
More bandwidth to the gpu, from what others have posted in the thread.
I'm a bit slow in responding, but I don't think this is the case; 64-bit means you get access to more memory addresses, which means a larger possible memory address space (more memory). But I don't believe 64-bit is a requirement for memory bandwidth, as there have been double-wide (read from two RAM modules at once) 32-bit architectures.

Basically memory bandwidth is all to do with the speed of the memory, speed of the memory bus, and width of the memory bus. You could have an 8-bit processor with a 256-bit wide memory bus if you wanted; the processor would only be able to work on each 256-bit chunk 8-bits at a time, but it can still fetch them that size if it wants; if it's a really fast processor you might even benefit from the increased bandwidth, even though your memory size would be very small.

So yeah, 64-bit processors really just means faster 64-bit integer and floating point operations (though even that's not so simple, since processors can have wider vector units…) and more memory, but I don't think either of these is important to a mobile processor. Sure if we get to the stage where we can put more than 4gb of RAM into a mobile device then 64-bit will be a must, but until then… doesn't seem much of a reason to.

egoistaxx9

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2013
none of us could find any lags or slowdowns in the A6 processor, A7 would be overkill. i hope they add an hd screen in the iphone

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.