Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rocknblogger

macrumors 68020
Apr 2, 2011
New Jersey
Seems like your thumbnails are corrupt. Try rebuilding the library. Also have you moved photos from one folder to another? If so that can also cause an issue like this.

MiniD3

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 9, 2013
Australia
Seems like your thumbnails are corrupt. Try rebuilding the library. Also have you moved photos from one folder to another? If so that can also cause an issue like this.

Hi There,
Thank you for the reply,

Yes actually, I have moved many due to this "switcher" learning curve
I do have the files backed up so I have deleted them, not many
A point to note, noticed that the files were "referenced" and I did do a lot of sorting and deleting a project and starting again!

All good now, just interested to know why so it doesn't happen too often, as it was, there were only 4 or 5 out of a "zillion" images
....Gary

flynz4

macrumors 68040
Aug 9, 2009
Portland, OR
Hi There,
Thank you for the reply,

Yes actually, I have moved many due to this "switcher" learning curve
I do have the files backed up so I have deleted them, not many
A point to note, noticed that the files were "referenced" and I did do a lot of sorting and deleting a project and starting again!

All good now, just interested to know why so it doesn't happen too often, as it was, there were only 4 or 5 out of a "zillion" images
....Gary

Gary,

Are you using Finder to move images, or are you doing it all from within Aperture?

If Aperture has lost it's connection to your referenced files, try Aperture>File>Locate Referenced Files

If it is an issues with the processing of an individual photo, there are three commands:

Aperture>Photos>Reprocess Original
Aperture>Photos>Generate Thumbnails
Aperture>Photos>Update Preview

/Jim

TheReef

macrumors 68000
Sep 30, 2007
NSW, Australia.
Hi Gary, I had a lot of these appear when upgrading from A2 to A3.

My solution was as flynz4 mentioned: right click on the effected photo(s) and select "Reprocess Original..."

You can shift-click to select multiple photos.

MiniD3

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 9, 2013
Australia
Gary,

Are you using Finder to move images, or are you doing it all from within Aperture?

If Aperture has lost it's connection to your referenced files, try Aperture>File>Locate Referenced Files

If it is an issues with the processing of an individual photo, there are three commands:

Aperture>Photos>Reprocess Original
Aperture>Photos>Generate Thumbnails
Aperture>Photos>Update Preview

/Jim
Thanks Jim,
Yes, I have been moving them in Aperture
Will see if I can find any more, I may have missed one somewhere I haven't deleted
Thank you for the heads-up!
At least Aperture is not as "glitchy"as Nikon CaptureNX2
Never thought about moving files in the finder
....Gary

----------

Hi Gary, I had a lot of these appear when upgrading from A2 to A3.

My solution was as flynz4 mentioned: right click on the effected photo(s) and select "Reprocess Original..."

You can shift-click to select multiple photos.
Thank you,
learning new tricks every day!
.....Gary

MiniD3

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 9, 2013
Australia
An Update on proceedings,

Hi Guys,
Found I still had one on a referenced file folder,
Hooked up the drive where the master is,
You guessed it! It fixed itself?
Ejected the drive containing the master and the file is back to normal
Must have "reprocessed file" some how?
....Gary

flynz4

macrumors 68040
Aug 9, 2009
Portland, OR
Thanks Jim,
Yes, I have been moving them in Aperture
Will see if I can find any more, I may have missed one somewhere I haven't deleted
Thank you for the heads-up!
At least Aperture is not as "glitchy"as Nikon CaptureNX2
Never thought about moving files in the finder

.....Gary

Gary, I would strongly recommend NOT moving them from in Finder. Do all of your work in Aperture. The reason I asked was NOT to recommend you touch things in Finder. Instead... I was wondering if that was the source of your problems.

Hi Guys,
Found I still had one on a referenced file folder,
Hooked up the drive where the master is,
You guessed it! It fixed itself?
Ejected the drive containing the master and the file is back to normal
Must have "reprocessed file" some how?
....Gary

Gary, Do you want to have referenced or managed library? If you want to pull that one referenced project into your managed library, you would use:
Aperture>File>Consolidate Original

/Jim

MiniD3

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 9, 2013
Australia
Gary, I would strongly recommend NOT moving them from in Finder. Do all of your work in Aperture. The reason I asked was NOT to recommend you touch things in Finder. Instead... I was wondering if that was the source of your problems.

Gary, Do you want to have referenced or managed library? If you want to pull that one referenced project into your managed library, you would use:
Aperture>File>Consolidate Original

/Jim

Hi Jim
I have been moving files inside Aperture,

What I'm trying to do is have this years shooting "Managed" and selected other projects "referenced"

I have a couple of other external Fat32 HHD's that also are full of images, I'm finding that the iMac is reading those files OK if I need them
....Gary

flynz4

macrumors 68040
Aug 9, 2009
Portland, OR
Hi Jim
I have been moving files inside Aperture,

What I'm trying to do is have this years shooting "Managed" and selected other projects "referenced"

I have a couple of other external Fat32 HHD's that also are full of images, I'm finding that the iMac is reading those files OK if I need them
....Gary

Aperture easily lets you change from Referenced to Managed (or vice versa) easily over any subset of pictures. Personally, I keep everything managed because my SSD can hold the entire library easily.

Do you plan to import those other pictures into Aperture... so that it contains 100% of your pictures?

/Jim

MiniD3

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 9, 2013
Australia
Aperture easily lets you change from Referenced to Managed (or vice versa) easily over any subset of pictures. Personally, I keep everything managed because my SSD can hold the entire library easily.

Do you plan to import those other pictures into Aperture... so that it contains 100% of your pictures?

/Jim

Tks jim,
Not going to import all pictures, (too many), just what I need as required, my SSD is only 768GB, and as you would be aware, you don't get all of that, I think it works at about 750GB, I'm happy with that, doesn't make any noise, fast and my "old" USB3 drives are very fast with this machine, this maxed out machine cost me an arm and a leg but Ive forgotten about the price already, saved for 6 months but worth the wait
....Gary

flynz4

macrumors 68040
Aug 9, 2009
Portland, OR
Tks jim,
Not going to import all pictures, (too many), just what I need as required, my SSD is only 768GB, and as you would be aware, you don't get all of that, I think it works at about 750GB, I'm happy with that, doesn't make any noise, fast and my "old" USB3 drives are very fast with this machine, this maxed out machine cost me an arm and a leg but Ive forgotten about the price already, saved for 6 months but worth the wait
....Gary

Gary,

I have the same iMac.

With referenced originals... they can all still be imported into Aperture, but they pictures can remain on the existing HDDs... or moved (during import) to a different HDD. There are three basic options of where the files go during import:
  1. In their original location (referenced)
  2. In a location you specify (referenced)
  3. In the Aperture library (managed)
If they are on a bunch of old HDDs... I would probably get a single moderate sized HDD (~2TB or so) to hold all of your referenced photos. By importing those pictures into your library... you can begin to "use" them ifrom within Aperture.

If you do use referenced originals (as above)... then your SSD will contain both thumbnails and previews for each picture. You have no control over thumbnails, but they are tiny, so it is generally not a problem. You can control the quality of previews... including down to zero previews if you choose.

/Jim

MiniD3

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 9, 2013
Australia
Gary,

I have the same iMac.

With referenced originals... they can all still be imported into Aperture, but they pictures can remain on the existing HDDs... or moved (during import) to a different HDD. There are three basic options of where the files go during import:
  1. In their original location (referenced)
  2. In a location you specify (referenced)
  3. In the Aperture library (managed)
If they are on a bunch of old HDDs... I would probably get a single moderate sized HDD (~2TB or so) to hold all of your referenced photos. By importing those pictures into your library... you can begin to "use" them ifrom within Aperture.

If you do use referenced originals (as above)... then your SSD will contain both thumbnails and previews for each picture. You have no control over thumbnails, but they are tiny, so it is generally not a problem. You can control the quality of previews... including down to zero previews if you choose.

/Jim
Hi Jim,
Actually went for a couple of 3TB HDD's, (USB3), hope to get into Thunderbolt in the future,
Have established a referenced project called "Archive" in which I have been working on some old files, appears to be working OK now, I did move around some of the files when setting up subfolders and perhaps thats how I got the strange image, the way I did it may have been too "agricultural" :)
In the start of the new year, going to move the previous year to referenced
Just trying to future proof the routine so that I'll be OK if I get a new D800E next year, 36mp and huge files
....Gary

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.