Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ifraaank

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 25, 2012
Odense C, Denmark
Hi!

When new operating systems gets released, I like to do a fresh install on my computers.

I was wondering, how does it work, when I'm going to install Mavericks on my iMac with Fusion Drive? Can I just format the drive as normally, and it'll install the operating system on the SSD part of the Fusion Drive? Or would I need to do something special in order to make it function like it does now?

//ifraaank :)

Brian33

macrumors 65816
Apr 30, 2008
USA (Virginia)
I just installed OS X 10.8.4 for the second time on my "homemade" Fusion Drive. I remember that I specifically wanted to erase the disk before the second install, and I had no problem doing so from the installer program. I just don't remember whether I had to go to the Tools menu or not to get the Disk Utility...

I don't think you'll have any trouble.

Serban

Suspended
Jan 8, 2013
i think there will be no need for fresh install....i think with maveriks install you cand do a fresh one

ATC

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2008
Canada
i think there will be no need for fresh install....i think with maveriks install you cand do a fresh one

You will be able to do a fresh or an upgrade install of 10.9. You can use a free utility like LDM (link) that creates a bootable USB flash drive with Mavericks on it, provided you have the Mavericks installer downloaded from the MAS. I've used the old build last year of LDM to fresh install ML and it worked like a charm.

Fatboy71

macrumors 65816
Dec 21, 2010
UK
Hi!

When new operating systems gets released, I like to do a fresh install on my computers.

I was wondering, how does it work, when I'm going to install Mavericks on my iMac with Fusion Drive? Can I just format the drive as normally, and it'll install the operating system on the SSD part of the Fusion Drive? Or would I need to do something special in order to make it function like it does now?

//ifraaank :)

I think the Fusion Drive contains the OS from the start, and then over time, it moves other data onto it that you use a lot.

n-evo

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2013
Amsterdam
I'd like to know that too. How do you format 2 drives at the same time. Because it's combined into one drive. :confused::confused:
It's not any different than you're used to with a regular hard drive. Just select the Machintosh HD (your Fusion Drive) in Disk Utility and press "Erase".

henry72

macrumors 68000
Jun 18, 2009
New Zealand
It's not any different than you're used to with a regular hard drive. Just select the Machintosh HD (your Fusion Drive) in Disk Utility and press "Erase".

Thanks for your reply. But my 3TB Fusion Drive is a bit strange after I installed BootCamp.

2 Macintosh HD? I'm confused. I've done a research on Google and people are having similar problem with their 3TB FD. :confused:

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-08-29 at 10.57.41 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-08-29 at 10.57.41 AM.png
    136.4 KB · Views: 684

Brian33

macrumors 65816
Apr 30, 2008
USA (Virginia)
Thanks for your reply. But my 3TB Fusion Drive is a bit strange after I installed BootCamp.

2 Macintosh HD? I'm confused. I've done a research on Google and people are having similar problem with their 3TB FD. :confused:

You have two different things with the name "Macintosh HD". Looking at the left pane and judging from my FD (homemade) setup, the top "Macintosh HD" is a Logical Volume Group, which is like a pool of available Logical Volumes. The lower "Macintosh HD" and "BOOTCAMP" are Logical Volumes.

Logical Volumes are new with Core Storage (I believe). You can manipulate them just like physical volumes (like a HDD partition). Just pretend they are partitions.

I've noticed with my setup that I can't change the name of the Logical Volume Group with the Disk Utility.app, but can change the Logical Volume name. So, you could easily change the "second" Macintosh HD name to something else, like "Main Drive". Alternatively, you can probably change the LVG name using Terminal commands, but I'm not sure of the correct parameters at the moment.

Hope that helps some.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.