Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

asidexo

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 27, 2013
I used to have a white macbook from 2007. I replaced the charger a couple times so the charger was probably purchased in 2009. I just for a new macbook pro. My question is, is it safe to use the old charger. I know they look different but the connection seems to fit into my laptop just fine. I'd love to use it as a second charger so I can leave one plugged in and one in my bag but I don't want to risk anything happening to my laptop if the power level is different or something.

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
the old power supply is probably 60 watts and the newer computer is 85 watts.

it will work, but your computer will not charge as quickly. or may even slowly discharge if you're using the computer while you're plugged into the older power supply.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2346

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009
the old power supply is probably 60 watts and the newer computer is 85 watts.

it will work, but your computer will not charge as quickly. or may even slowly discharge if you're using the computer while you're plugged into the older power supply.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2346

While the link is good read; however, you made some serious assumptions that I need to correct.

OP, yes it is safe. Since you had a white macbook, it came with a 60watt power supply. If you bought a 13" Macbook Pro, it too would come with a 60watt and thus would charge at the same rate no matter which power supply you use. However, if your macbook pro is a 15" (or a discontinued 17"), then it would have come with an 85watt power supply which will slow the charging or not charge it at all (it should run fine, but to fully charge you will need to not use it when hooked to the 60watt power supply).

The Macbook Air's come with a 45watt power supply so they too would be unaffected since you can always use a larger power supply (just means the power supply won't be used to its "full" potentional).

asidexo

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 27, 2013
thanks guys. I didn't think about the fact that the different laptops would have different watt chargers. I have the 13" pro. It's nice to know that it's safe to use, It'll safe me a whole minute in the morning.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.