Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
I know as much as anyone about Ballmer's role in Microsoft during the early years. The point I made before was that Microsoft would likely be in the same jam today if Bill Gates had remained as CEO. He and Ballmer have the same mindset, and mindset is the fundamental problem here. The big difference between the two is, Ballmer was at the helm when Microsoft really needed to execute a major strategic shift. The failure to recognize this will be Ballmer's legacy, more than it will be the legacy of Bill Gate -- though they are both culpable.

At least you're admitting that Gates wouldn't have mystically fixed this. That seems to be more than a lot of people are capable of doing these days. I don't understand the love-fest for Gates, the rose-tinted glasses.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
At least you're admitting that Gates wouldn't have mystically fixed this. That seems to be more than a lot of people are capable of doing these days. I don't understand the love-fest for Gates, the rose-tinted glasses.

At least? I realize this is a long thread but this was at least the second time I'd said it. I'd mentioned several times that Microsoft's problems were baked into the corporate DNA by Gates and Ballmer, and that Ballmer consequently wasn't the person to fix them. So it wasn't an admission, it was the point.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
At least? I realize this is a long thread but this was at least the second time I'd said it. I'd mentioned several times that Microsoft's problems were baked into the corporate DNA by Gates and Ballmer, and that Ballmer consequently wasn't the person to fix them. So it wasn't an admission, it was the point.

No, no, I'm not saying "at least you're finally admitting it". Maybe I'm using the wrong term, but I have read oh so many people around here and around the idea that Gates would lead to unlimited growth.

Poor wording, I'll admit.

I just get frustrated at this Gates-worship.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
No, no, I'm not saying "at least you're finally admitting it". Maybe I'm using the wrong term, but I have read oh so many people around here and around the idea that Gates would lead to unlimited growth.

Poor wording, I'll admit.

I just get frustrated at this Gates-worship.

Fair enough, but for the record, my frustration with Gates worship goes back well into the 1990s. Even then the flaws in his approach were pretty obvious to people who were able to look beyond the company's financial success. Not many did but for sure those chickens have come home to roost.

Tom G.

macrumors 68020
Jun 16, 2009
Champaign/Urbana Illinois
Since they are looking for a new CEO, why not get one with experience in the Computer industry?

I think that John Sculley would make an excellent leader for Microsoft. Especially with the knowledge he gained during his tenure at Apple, and the fact that even now he is known to give his opinion of what Apple should and shouldn't be doing. Microsoft should make use of all this talent.

Xgm541

macrumors 65816
May 3, 2011
After reading a few pages of these comments, it seems like everyone at MR should be running a multi-billion dollar company.

Solomani

macrumors 601
Sep 25, 2012
Slapfish, North Carolina
Microsoft should convince Bill Gates to give up all that worthless charity work and philanthropy. Bill is the only one that can save Microsoft. Same analogy when Steve Jobs' return was the only thing that could save Apple in 1997. Microsoft is Bill's baby. He knows the company better than anyone else.

Come back home, Bill. Forget about those starving Africans and trying to save the world from malaria, AIDS and rap music. Microsoft's future success and profitability is more important!

/sarcasm

Mandex

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2012
Scotland
سمووحخ ̷̴̐ خ ̷̴̐ خ ̷̴̐ خ ********************************تيخ ̷̴̐ خ

سمووحخ ̷̴̐ خ ̷̴̐ خ ̷̴̐ خ ********************************تيخ ̷̴̐ خ

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.