Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Earlier this month, Apple began offering free content from its digital content stores through its Apple Store iOS app, starting with the app Color Zen and moving on to an iBookstore offering with Margaret Wise Brown's Away in My Airplane.

Just days ago, Apple began offering free download codes for photography app Landcam, but the company has already replaced that offer with a new feature promoting its upcoming iTunes Festival concert series in London throughout the month of September.

itunes_festival_free_songs.jpg
The new Apple Store app feature promotes the festival and associated app, while also offering free downloads of six songs from artists participating in the festival.

- "Trying to Be Cool" by Phoenix
- "Workin' Woman Blues" by Valerie June
- "2013" by Primal Scream
- "My Love Took Me Down to the River to Silence Me" by Little Green Cars
- "Chain My Name" by Poliça
- "The Curse" by Agnes Obel

The iTunes Festival kicks off on September 1 with Lady Gaga, and concerts will continue nightly throughout the month of September.

Article Link: Apple Promotes iTunes Festival with 6 Free Song Downloads via 'Apple Store' iOS App

dreamyguy

macrumors newbie
Jun 9, 2011
The day they post stuff like Jimi Hendrix, Cream, Pink Floyd, Jethro Tull or Focus I'll consider bothering to download - even though I have their whole collection... :D

JackieInCo

Suspended
Jul 18, 2013
Colorado
The day they post stuff like Jimi Hendrix, Cream, Pink Floyd, Jethro Tull or Focus I'll consider bothering to download - even though I have their whole collection... :D

I won't bother looking either. The last time I downloaded something free, I think it was 25 free song pack, turned out I never heard of the bands and they were some annoying emo songs. It took me a few years to figure out which songs they were to find and delete them.

Just looked up to see who the songs were by, never heard of the bands and who the hell is GaGa? Seriously? Queen had a song back in the day called Radio GaGa, did GaGa borrow the name from Queen?

Last edited:

DaveMcM76

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2012
Scottish Highlands
I've never even heard of any of these artists.

*feels old*

I'll grant you most of these are reasonably obscure bands but you've really never heard of Primal Scream???

They've been around since 1982 and (so I thought) are a fairly huge well known band - they were second on the bill - on just before the Rolling Stones - at this years Glastonbury Festival.

Cartoonkid

macrumors 6502
Apr 29, 2009
I won't bother looking either. The last time I downloaded something free, I think it was 25 free song pack, turned out I never heard of the bands and they were some annoying emo songs. It took me a few years to figure out which songs they were to find and delete them.

Just looked up to see who the songs were by, never heard of the bands and who the hell is GaGa? Seriously? Queen had a song back in the day called Radio GaGa, did GaGa borrow the name from Queen?

Even as flamboyant as Freddie Mercury was, I doubt he or any other members of Queen would want their band to be associated with Lady GaGa!

dumastudetto

macrumors 603
Aug 28, 2013
Los Angeles, USA
Even as flamboyant as Freddie Mercury was, I doubt he or any other members of Queen would want their band to be associated with Lady GaGa!

Freddie was inspired to write the song because Lady Gaga was on the radio all the time. He loved her music and had the vinyls spinning on return constantly. That inspired the line: "all we hear is radio gaga" because all Freddie wanted to hear was Lady Gaga on the radio.

GoldenJoe

macrumors 6502
Apr 26, 2011
For a moment, I thought it meant you could download any six songs. I've never even heard of these musicians.

JackieInCo

Suspended
Jul 18, 2013
Colorado
Freddie was inspired to write the song because Lady Gaga was on the radio all the time. He loved her music and had the vinyls spinning on return constantly. That inspired the line: "all we hear is radio gaga" because all Freddie wanted to hear was Lady Gaga on the radio.

Isn't Gaga something that came out in the 2000s? Queens song came out in the 80s.

annax

macrumors newbie
May 6, 2008
Broaden your horizons, perhaps? Appreciate someone else's creativity?

Anyway, the store app still points to the camera app.

BJMRamage

macrumors 68030
Oct 2, 2007
I have some Phoenix and Valerie June was a free starbucks song of the week a while back.

the others, are artists I have not heard.
guess I will give it a try. doesn't hurt to DL and delete if i don't like.

philvid2

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2011
I've never even heard of any of these artists.

*feels old*

Primal Scream was formed in 1982 and their 1991 album Screamadelica is frequently cited as one of the best albums of the 90s. Bobby Gillespie is over 50.

Not knowing Primal Scream doesn't make you old. It means you have limited taste.

chriscrk

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2011
Planet Earth (?)

I guess that's why Brian May (the guitarist in Queen) collaborated with her on her Yoü And I song, right?

And then performed live with her at the 2011 VMA's, yeah?

He did all that because he didn't want to be associated with her? lol

Gigaman

macrumors regular
Aug 19, 2011
Even though I don't like their experimental stuff as much, I'll download me some Phoenix!

Edit: - doesn't feel old-

asd789789

macrumors member
Feb 24, 2012
Frankfurt am Main
Fun story for the Queen/Lady Gaga topic that's going on here:

I was at my uncles house and during dinner my 5yo cousin was telling him about the songs he'd like to have on his CD. Suddenly he said: "Oh, and I want Lady Gaga on it!". My uncle (a Queen Fan) must have seen the shock in my face and said: "Relax... he means Radio Gaga by Queen". ;)

faith-in-humanity-restored-010.jpg

new-to-mac

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2012
I guess that's why Brian May (the guitarist in Queen) collaborated with her on her Yoü And I song, right?

And then performed live with her at the 2011 VMA's, yeah?

He did all that because he didn't want to be associated with her? lol

this is relevant why or how??

psac

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2009
I know people are joking about the reverse, but yes, Lady Gaga did take her name from the Radio Ga Ga song. She was a huge Queen fan, and a student of music in general.

Ps -- It's relevant because Lady Gaga is the headliner/opener on this year's iTunes festival.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.