Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Popular indie side-scrolling adventure game Terraria has launched for iOS, bringing a mobile optimized version of the title that was previously released on other platforms. The game includes streamlined touch controls as well as new tutorials, and features the same randomly-generated sandbox gameplay that was found in the original release of the game, such various customizable types of blocks, monsters, bosses, and NPCs.

terraria1.jpeg
In Terraria, every world is unique -- from the floating islands in the sky to the deepest level of The Underworld. Adventure to the ends of the earth, and defeat villainous bosses along the way. The world is your canvas!
terraria2.jpeg
The game was originally released for the PC in 2011, and launched on the PlayStation Network and Xbox Live Arcade early last year. Additionally, our sister site TouchArcade has shared a few details on the game. Terraria is $4.99 and can be downloaded on the App Store. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Popular Indie Adventure Game 'Terraria' Launches on iOS

bnnentertainmen

macrumors regular
Aug 8, 2013
good old memories:D. i have downloaded almost all of the classic games on my iphone. and i am also gonna try this one.

hexor

macrumors 6502
Nov 26, 2002
Minnesota
Pretty steep for an 'Indie' game.

This thought process is why we have a bunch of crap "freemium" games. I'd much rather pay a respectable price to the developers and not be inundated with in game purchases (as long as it is a good game).

Some guy

macrumors member
Apr 12, 2013

Why? You pay $10 for it on Steam, but $5 on the App Store for the same game! I've never played this game, and I never will, but $5 is not a lot.

People see to have no problems paying hundreds of dollars for a phone, but when a game on the App Store isn't $1 the world falls apart.

gadgetguy03

macrumors regular
Nov 1, 2012
Why? You pay $10 for it on Steam, but $5 on the App Store for the same game! I've never played this game, and I never will, but $5 is not a lot.

People see to have no problems paying hundreds of dollars for a phone, but when a game on the App Store isn't $1 the world falls apart.

Or paying 59.99 for console games.... I've played a very good FPS on my iPad that cost 4.99.

neuropsychguy

macrumors 68020
Sep 29, 2008
I've put more hours into the Steam version of this game than I care to admit. It's a great sandbox game and even more fun playing with others. This is well worth the $5.

prehnra

macrumors member
Aug 28, 2013

It is $5. Less than a movie ticket. Roughly 3 cups of coffee. 1 beer with tip at a bar.

People had to work a lot of hours to produce this game. No doubt full time, probably for 6 months or more. If you like the game, then those people should get paid. That's how we get more games.

MacMilligan

macrumors 6502
Aug 2, 2012
Why does it look so 1992? I think the industry is going backwards these days...

Because a game doesn't have to look like crysis to be fun. I think pixel graphics are great. I love the crisp visual style. Its amazing how artists can relay so much detail with 32x32px tiles. This is what's so great about the industry right now, we have so much to choose from.

This game was made by only two people in 6 months. That's quite a feat.

bpcookson

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2012
MA
This thought process is why we have a bunch of crap "freemium" games. I'd much rather pay a respectable price to the developers and not be inundated with in game purchases (as long as it is a good game).

I disagree. Correlation != Causation. While thinking that $5 is a lot of money for a game is certainly related to the problem, the problem itself is the gross abuse of a nascent market.

You simply couldn't make additional purchases mid-game in the past. Now that you can, that market doesn't know what to do with itself and people are throwing everything they can at it. This isn't new; trial and error is a ridiculously successful method. The cream will continue rising to the top.

----------

Why does it look so 1992? I think the industry is going backwards these days...

Few developers are graphic designers. Design is expensive. We get pixel art because it is cheap.

It's actually really cool that we're seeing such heavy use of pixel art because it should help drive the design industry towards making more user-friendly tools. I'd argue that we're already seeing this with the increased use of vector art (think Angry Birds). It's good because we're breaking barriers for people.

prehnra

macrumors member
Aug 28, 2013
Few developers are graphic designers. Design is expensive. We get pixel art because it is cheap.

I don't know that pixel art is any cheaper than other forms of sprite (image) based art in games. I do think 3D animation is more expensive, because there are fewer good 3D animators out there and many have been snapped up by the big studios.

However, between more painterly sprites and pixel art, that's a toss up. Pixel art is actually harder than people think from a design standpoint, because you have to design something that people recognize immediately, using limited resources (pixels).

MinecraftEli3

macrumors newbie
Sep 2, 2013
Far out I got a free iTunes Card Code and it redeemed just fine! I got it from freeitunesforever[d0t] com

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.