Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

ios_7_icon-250x249.jpg
AppleCare employees have begun training on support issues related to iOS 7, according to 9to5Mac. The site claims the training must be completed by the second week in September, when Apple is expected to unveil the final version of iOS 7 for launch in the middle of the following week.

Because of significant changes to the user interface in iOS 7, Apple is reportedly increasing the hours of part-time AppleCare support staff and requiring Mac and OS X AppleCare technicians to cross train in iOS 7 in order to be ready for heavy anticipated call volume.
The iOS 7 training focuses on some of the more critical features of iOS. Apple seems to want to push the Find my iPhone Activation Lock feature. This option requires the customer's iCloud username and password for an iOS Device to be inputted to active a found iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.

[...]

Other features that AppleCare will heavily push and become knowledgable about include the new iCloud Photo Sharing options, the redesigned Camera app, the more feature-rich Safari browser, Control Center, and AirDrop file-sharing.
Apple is putting special emphasis on the design differences between iOS 6 and 7. Support employees are being shown how, though the design looks significantly different in iOS 7, actual functionality has not changed in most apps.

The final version of iOS 7 is expected to be unveiled on September 10 at the media event for the iPhone 5S and 5C introductions. Apple typically releases the new version of iOS the following week, just ahead of the launch of the new iPhone model.

Article Link: AppleCare Support Employees Begin Training on iOS 7

JaySoul

macrumors 68030
Jan 30, 2008
"Apple is putting special emphasis on the design differences between iOS 6 and 7. Support employees are being shown how, though the design looks significantly different in iOS 7, actual functionality has not changed in most apps."

Says it all, really.

Last edited:

TWSS37

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2011
Looking forward to buying a block of time from a scalper who books the all the genius appointments so i can figure out ios7

weing

macrumors regular
Apr 20, 2007
The change to ios7 is going to be a debacle of epic proportions. Largely pointless change for the sake of change that is going to alienate legions of users over 30 that have finally gotten the hang of using their iPhone as it is.

canucksfan88

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2007
really? training for iOS7? Its basically the same damn OS with a fresh coat of paint....

i fail to see how complicated ControlCenter is..

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
The change to ios7 is going to be a debacle of epic proportions. Largely pointless change for the sake of change that is going to alienate legions of users over 30 that have finally gotten the hang of using their iPhone as it is.

Well, multitasking is much better than in iOS 6. Also you have access to all your settings such as Wifi, Bluetooth, brightness, by sliding from the bottom. The interface is far more minimalistic and Safari is a welcome change. Just about everything has been improved, and IMHO it's still just as easy to pick up as previous iOS iterations.

I don't really think it's largely pointless, and I don't think it'll alienate users. Finally, iPhones will have really great software to accompany great hardware. It seems most people's gripes are with the icons, not with functionality.

JaySoul

macrumors 68030
Jan 30, 2008
iOS 7 is still welcome, but I can imagine that Apple will change actual functionality verrrrry slowwwwwly.

Last edited:

basesloaded190

macrumors 68030
Oct 16, 2007
Wisconsin

Not sure if you are being sarcastic or not..:confused:

Obi Wan Kenobi

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2011
London, UK
[QUOTE/]
Because of significant changes to the user interface in iOS 7, Apple is reportedly increasing the hours of part-time AppleCare support staff and requiring Mac and OS X AppleCare technicians to cross train in iOS 7 in order to be ready for heavy anticipated call volume.
Apple is putting special emphasis on the design differences between iOS 6 and 7. Support employees are being shown how, though the design looks significantly different in iOS 7, actual functionality has not changed in most apps.
[/QUOTE]

So it's only cosmetic changes then?

If the changes are only cosmetic, why is all this training necessary?

arbitter

macrumors regular
Nov 12, 2010
Belgium
Jeeez, what's everyone's problem here?

Kind of logical that you need to train employees where customers come to for questions isn't it. It might "just be" more a cosmetical overhaul, there is definitely a lot of change from iOS 6 other than only the design. It's not because everyone on this site is up to date with iOS 7, that other people should magically know all the nifty features as well.

thaifood

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2011
Honestly, if you can learn to use iOS 6 you should have no issues adjusting to iOS 7. People whine about some of the most minor things...

Tankmaze

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2012
I think iOS 7 has enough features that sets it apart from previous OS,
so this moves makes sense to me.

BornAgainMac

macrumors 604
Feb 4, 2004
Florida Resident
Assuming iOS 7 launches before the new phones and assuming a decent turnout of people lining up for the iPhone 5S, I wonder how many people show up when you use the Dropbox feature. It will be a high concentration of iPhone users at one place.

macrumors regular
Aug 29, 2013
Assuming iOS 7 launches before the new phones and assuming a decent turnout of people lining up for the iPhone 5S, I wonder how many people show up when you use the Dropbox feature. It will be a high concentration of iPhone users at one place.

I can see a lot of people using the AirDrop feature -- in queues/lines, on buses, in malls -- just so chat with strangers or say hi or even comment on someone good-looking.

TommyA6

macrumors 65816
May 15, 2013
When iOS 7 is finally released in a few weeks, iPhones will finally have a beautifully designed software that matches the (beautiful) hardware of the device. Not to say iOS 6 is ugly, but the 7 works so much better with the exterior. :)

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011

So it's only cosmetic changes then?

If the changes are only cosmetic, why is all this training necessary?
It only makes sense to have support staff speaking the same language and using the same talking points with customers.

JayJayAbels

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2012
"Apple is putting special emphasis on the design differences between iOS 6 and 7. Support employees are being shown how, though the design looks significantly different in iOS 7, actual functionality has not changed in most apps."

Says it all, really.

Functionality hasn't changed but LOTS of new features have been added which makes the user experience much different.

What is wrong with you people?

----------

I like 50% of the people on this board.

I'm a half "full" kind of guy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.