Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

ZeptoLab's hit puzzle game Cut the Rope has been named Apple's App of the Week, which means it can be downloaded for free for the first time ever. First introduced in 2010, the game's gesture-based gameplay and and candy-gobbling character Om Nom earned it instant popularity with players of all skill levels.

In Cut the Rope, players swipe to cut candies dangling from ropes, causing the candy to fall into Om Nom's waiting mouth. Levels become more difficult as the game progresses, introducing a number of obstacles that must be overcome to get the candy to Om Nom.

A mysterious package has arrived, and the little monster inside has only one request... CANDY! Collect gold stars, discover hidden prizes and unlock exciting new levels in this addictively fun, award-winning, physics-based game!
Since its debut, Cut the Rope has been updated numerous times to add additional content and levels to the game. Currently, there are more than 375 levels to complete, along with superpowers and a newly introduced candy-stealing mouse mechanic.

Cut the Rope is available for the iPhone or iPad and it will be free for one week. [Direct Links: iPhone/iPad]

Article Link: 'Cut the Rope' Named App of the Week, Available for Free

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
Yes! Times like this I'm pleased I'm a tight sod when it comes to buying apps. Glad I held off on purchasing this one.

ALMF

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2012
when i open the app its Sky Gamblers: Storm Raiders not Cut the Rope

Nozuka

macrumors 68040
Jul 3, 2012
I thought Cut the Rope was previously offered as the app of the week. I got it free from somewhere, maybe Starbucks

This was free, dont think its the same:

freeappoftheweek.jpg

mabhatter

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2009
I feel so bad when I miss giving Om Nom the candy. He is so happy anticipating his treats, but his little heart get SO broken every time you drop one. It's tear-jerking!

You'll laugh, you'll cry... You'll suddenly have missing time like the Bermuda Triangle... Wondering if you REALLY did try that level 142 times????

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
This is such a fun little game! Great design, easy to play, but some of the levels require a good bit of thought (and occasionally, some really careful timing).

AngerDanger

Graphics
Staff member
Dec 9, 2008
Cut the Rope is fantastic! It's like the Angry Birds that doesn't get on my nerves for some reason.

bpcookson

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2012
MA
So the game normally costs money to buy and still has in app purchases? No thanks.

Seriously? I can't believe the backlash on in-app purchases. I think it's a fantastic thing, and terribly convenient. I won't argue that some developers don't use IAP in a slimy way, but those practices are worth shunning and will naturally be suppressed if people just stop feeding the trolls.

But isn't it nice to download a game with a free demo built in? I don't want to have to search for a "Lite" version, download that to check it out, and then go back to the app store to get the real thing when it can be so easy with IAP to simply unlock the remainder of the game. That single use-case completely justifies IAP.

It's logic like yours that ruins good things for everyone. Some kid abuses his parents' credit card because 1) a developer abused the IAP system and 2) his parents were inept. Big deal. But then the whole world cries devil and now Apple has to inform people whether an app has IAP, as if they're physically dangerous, and people like you won't go near anything labeled IAP because the Church of the Media tells you it's bad. No, ignorance is dangerous; IAP are brilliant.

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
So the game normally costs money to buy and still has in app purchases? No thanks.

I think the IAP is just a link to buy CTR: Experiments. I don't recall there being any "in game" purchasing.
Actually, that would not be IAP. In game, you can buy the superpower cheats. But, these are completely unnecessary to the game.

----------

Seriously? I can't believe the backlash on in-app purchases. I think it's a fantastic thing, and terribly convenient. I won't argue that some developers don't use IAP in a slimy way, but those practices are worth shunning and will naturally be suppressed if people just stop feeding the trolls.
The problem is these different usages of IAP are not spelled out. You have to figure it out for yourself, and that can be difficult with only user reviews to explain.

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
YAY for free HD version. HATE when the iPad version costs extra. :mad:
the iPad version is basically just a blown up iPhone version. If they cost the same I don't mind paying once more but it's about 3 times as expensive so I passed on the HD version and only bought the iPhone version.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.