Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DOUGHNUT

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 8, 2006
I figure this might be of some use to those who has iPhones and iPads and are concerned about fingerprint on screens

As you may know, Apple has used oleophobic coating on IDevice screens since iPhone 3GS, the coating is what makes the screens relatively fingerprint resistant and easy to clean. Over months to years of use, the coating tends to wear away causing the screen to be fingerprint magnets. Not only that, it makes the screen feel less smooth and harder to clean. This was the problem I encountered with my iPad and an older iPhone I had.

While searching for solutions on google, I came across a product made by a Japanese company Apeiros called Fusso oleophobic coating kit. It's got a few reviews on amazon which are mostly positive and I wanted to give it a spin.

My ipad screen (applies to iPhones as well) has been a fingerprint magnet for a while now and if I try the scroll motion the screen feels like its not as smooth. Ordered the one for tablets which is a little larger size than the one for smartphones. At 5ml, you can imagine its a tiny bottle. At 35 bucks (phone version is 3ml at 25 bucks) it's on the pricey side but the 5ml is plenty for multiple coatings of ipad and iphone with a bit to spare.

So the way you use it. First you wipe the screen clean with the included microfiber cloth. Then you add around 12 drops to your phone screen (for tablet, divide the screen to quadrants and do the coating separately like 4 phones). The stuff evaporates quickly so you want to kinda let it spread around the device a bit and wipe it evenly with tissue paper. Do this 2-3 times and let the device sit untouched for 8 hours to let the coating cure. They also recommend repeating the whole process over a few times to make it even last longer. They say the coating will generally last 3-6 months.

After application, I'm definitely noticing a significant improvement in fingerprint resistance and the screen feels much smoother with less drag from moisture. The screen feels practically like new. In fact I've been typing this review on my ipad and the screen is still clean (at least clean enough that I can wipe away fingerprints with simple wipe with microfiber cloth). It's pretty fantastic and invisible. In fact, the oleophobic property is probably better than the stock apple coating. The only question is how long will the coating last. That ill need to see over a longer period of time, but so far so good, and this stuff is great for those of you refusing to use screen protectors. Unfortunately this stuff only works on glass surfaces so you can't apply it to screen protectors. In fact I'm tempted to try it on my MacBook Pro trackpad since its supposed to work on it as well.

You can get this stuff at Amazon.com. Just search for Fusso. Definitely a great product and money well spent

Munkypoo7

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2011
Hanover, MD
Not to rain on your parade or anything but that's quite expensive when you can get about the same results with a spray car wax like Meguiar's NXT or Meguiar's Ultimate Spray Wax.

At ~$6-10 a bottle, you can get much much more uses from that (and have your car bead up nicely) than this.

Granted, this Fusso stuff is a more specialized product, but the wax does just as good of a job. :)

mavis

macrumors 601
Jul 30, 2007
Tokyo, Japan
Just wanted to add my observations. I bought this stuff a few days ago (I never knew you could reapply the oleophobic coating yourself!) and so far I'm really impressed. My iPad 3 and iPhone 5 feel brand new again - the screens are absolutely perfect! I've also done my Magic Trackpad and if that turns out well I'll be doing my MBA's trackpad as well.

Anyway, this stuff is great!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.