Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DBZmusicboy01

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 30, 2011
I don't get why would apple allow the iPhone to have the same MP camera for a 3rd year in a row.
Late 2013 and only 8MP? By the time iPhone 6 comes out the galaxy s5 might have a super 13-16mp camera

I understand MP isn't really that important but I remember when the iPhone 5 came out many people were disappointed that the camera was only 8MP.
If the next iPhone can have at least 10MP it will really be great. Best of both worlds.

rh1

macrumors member
Feb 24, 2010
Britain
I don't get why would apple allow the iPhone to have the same MP camera for a 3rd year in a row.
Late 2013 and only 8MP? By the time iPhone 6 comes out the galaxy s5 might have a super 13-16mp camera

I understand MP isn't really that important but I remember when the iPhone 5 came out many people were disappointed that the camera was only 8MP.
If the next iPhone can have at least 10MP it will really be great. Best of both worlds.

Wondering here too. If they bump up the camera, one things more certain is they'll bump up the storage.
More camera pixels often translates to ~ larger storage capacity.

So they could make this one a modest update with a larger sensor, and added features but keep it at 8MPx or offer 10MPx

swish2351

macrumors 6502
Feb 28, 2010
Michigan
MP truly do not matter, people just look at the spec sheet, see the easiest thing to remember, and think the MP are the most important

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
It's completely true (that we really don't know anything for sure one way or another until Apple releases information about it).

DBZmusicboy01

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 30, 2011
Since having more MP can help the picture come out more easier to zoom into it.
Finger print sensor and A7 and dual flash can't be the only things for the update? They must make 32GB standard and better battery and camera.
I am kinda excited because the iPhone 5 wasn't amazing when it came out.

sumsingwong

macrumors 6502a
Dec 15, 2012
I can't understand why people still believe the megapixel myth. My iPhone 5 takes better photos than my Galaxy S4. The higher the MP, the more noise. Give us better optics, optical image stabilization and improved low light performance.

walie

macrumors 6502a
Nov 15, 2010

Will you be able to afford one?

noobinator

macrumors 604
Jun 19, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
Why do you all need so many mp? You planning on printing poster sized shots? 8mp shots will look great on iphone or iPad screen. They will make the camera better in Low light if they keep it at 8mp.

bushman4

macrumors 601
Mar 22, 2011
Why do you all need so many mp? You planning on printing poster sized shots? 8mp shots will look great on iphone or iPad screen. They will make the camera better in Low light if they keep it at 8mp.

More mp does not mean a better picture. Keep in mind that the camera used in cellphones is not the same quality or standard as a regular d-slr camera etc. Unfortunately most people think that a higher number is better.

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
Look at it this way, more MPP means you are going to run out of memory sooner.

Honestly lots of times, I wish iPhone let me adjust how many MPP I want to use, like with my Point&Shoot, because really, 2MPP to me is more than enough for web posting and that AFTER I crop it to size.

I rather Apple gives me other camera features like long exposure, depth of field, neutral filters, zone independent exposure etc. MPP, well OK, 98% of the time, they just taking space on my phone.

zedzded

macrumors regular
Aug 28, 2013
Perth, Australia
MP aren't the be all and the end of a decent camera, but really the Iphone's have always had crappy cameras and have generally been 1 - 2 years behind everyone else. Sony Ericsson was producing better cameras in their phone back in 2004 compared to the camera in the original Iphone 3, which didn't even have a flash. The camera in the 5 is obviously much better than it's predecessors, but really as a camera it's poor. Bad in low light, zero image stabilisation, issues with the panorama mode, slow shutter speeds etc etc You're constantly hearing about how smartphones are replacing point n shoots, but the Iphone camera is comparable to a point n shoot from 10 years ago. For me, one of the important things in a smartphone is the camera and that really dictates what phone I buy. I've had my 4 for 2 years and it's due to be replaced in October and I can't see the 5s having anything other than a tweaked camera from the 5. I'm looking at something like the Honami and I think Apple needs to seriously start lifting it's game and looking at what it's competitors are doing. They are not moving at the same pace as technology is, they're just bimbling along, relying on loyal Apple customers to keep on coming back regardless...

Last edited:

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005

Megapixels without increased sensor size don't make the picture quality better, they make it worse. Typical smartphone camera would probably give you the best picture quality at about 6 MP. Apple has done a few things to get more light on the sensor, so they can afford to go up to 8 MP.

If you buy a "super 13-16mp camera" that is cheap, you will have 16 million pixels of static noise which are no good to anyone.

Look at it this way, more MPP means you are going to run out of memory sooner.

That as well. So you use more storage for less quality with more megapixels.

Since having more MP can help the picture come out more easier to zoom into it.

You zoom in to a lot of noise.

Will you be able to afford one?

Apple could put 20MP into their camera with no added cost. The megapixel fetishists would scream with joy. Anyone looking at the actually photos would be disgusted. That's why it's not going to happen. I wonder if Apple could / should offer a "camera" iPhone which would be bigger, with plenty of space for a good lens, optical zoom, a large sensor, ability to mount on a tripod. Aimed at serious photographers. Of course sales numbers would probably only be six digits.

Last edited:

Lucille Carter

Suspended
Jul 3, 2013

It would be impossible to tell the difference between a 8mp and 10mp image when looking at it on your phone. It would still be hard to tell the difference looking at it on your computer screen. To really take advantage of more pixels you need a larger sensor which in return would require a larger lens.

The big new thing with the 5S is iOS7!

Larger sensors and lenses are coming but not on the 5S. Maybe a few extra pixels just to make us feel better.

Last edited:

zedzded

macrumors regular
Aug 28, 2013
Perth, Australia
MP means nothing - my iPhone 5 takes way better pictures than more up to date Samsungs and the like with supposedly better cameras. Or am just a better photographer! ;)

Really? In the 'right conditions you can get good pics with the Iphone, but low light with zero image stabilization and slow shutter speeds... the panoramic feature is pretty poor as well. Very archaic.

Irrespectively I doubt very much the 5s will have a camera that comes close to Sony's Honami. I would be very happy if it did, as I'd prefer to stay with Apple, but I can't see it happening.

Last edited:

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom

If the new iPhone was only a 7MP but took a better photograph with a better lens, I still think there would be complaints. I don't use my phone for its camera primarily and really don't understand this megapixel race that has come to the mobile phone market. The number of pixels is irrelevant if the sensor and lens are sub standard. I think some people see the figure of MP on other manufacturers and expect Apple to match, but that is not to say the iPhone does not take a very good picture and in some cases, a better picture than its competition.

dvoros

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2010
iPhone 5s

This will truly be a dull, boring launch for Apple. Same phone as last year and maybe a new iPad mini. God, I'm falling asleep just thinking about it.:(

johnseattle

macrumors member
Jul 30, 2013
I can't understand why people still believe the megapixel myth. My iPhone 5 takes better photos than my Galaxy S4. The higher the MP, the more noise. Give us better optics, optical image stabilization and improved low light performance.

I'll tell you why, because apple advertises that as others do as the top feature of the camera. They are the ones that pretend to make it the most important feature.

Skika

macrumors 68030
Mar 11, 2009
Will the 5S come with a quad core CPU? I mean this would be 3 years in a row with a dual core cpu i mean apple should really start innovating look at the s4 and it has a 8 core cpu woww!!

:rolleyes:

sumsingwong

macrumors 6502a
Dec 15, 2012
Will the 5S come with a quad core CPU? I mean this would be 3 years in a row with a dual core cpu i mean apple should really start innovating look at the s4 and it has a 8 core cpu woww!!

:rolleyes:

And my S4 still lags. That's pretty sad. Games like Real Racing 3 run at a higher frame rates and higher graphics settings on my iP5. Specs mean nothing if the experience sucks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.