Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

glitch82

macrumors member
Oct 28, 2010
Bradenton, FL
Its a beta.

No, it's a FEATURE.

In order for the phone to show you the parallax effect on a wallpaper, it has to zoom in slightly so that the edges of the wallpaper are slightly hidden, which can then be shown by tilting the phone's gyroscope.

If you enable "reduced motion" in accessibility options, it disables parallax effects and you can zoom and scale the wallpaper while you're setting it as in previous iOS versions.

vigilant

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2007
Nashville, TN
"Leather will be the end of us all, Apple will never ever fix this!" "What?!? No more leather?!? iOS 6 was so much better looking!"

Same conversation all over again

newtestleper

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2013
No, it's a FEATURE.

In order for the phone to show you the parallax effect on a wallpaper, it has to zoom in slightly so that the edges of the wallpaper are slightly hidden, which can then be shown by tilting the phone's gyroscope.

If you enable "reduced motion" in accessibility options, it disables parallax effects and you can zoom and scale the wallpaper while you're setting it as in previous iOS versions.

Except it doesn't.

MetalMatt24

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 18, 2012
No, it's a FEATURE.

this is the kind of answer I was looking for. Thanks for that bit of info glitch.

you see, it's really not that hard to be nice and answer a simple question for someone rather than giving smart ass answers.....gfy :D

MetalMatt24

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 18, 2012
Alternatively, you could get the exact size wallpaper for your iPhone/iPad then you'd have no issues.

you have missed the entire point of this thread. If I wanted an exact size I would make one. I'm talking about photos of any size, stretching and scaling to fit however you want on the phone :cool:

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
Really weird. This works fine for me. I can scale/stretch any photo in my camera roll. Beta 6, upgraded from ios6...not a clean install.

mngator96

macrumors newbie
Oct 29, 2013
The only sort of fix I can find is to go to your photos and edit the photo you want and stretch it to how you want it to look and then take a screen shot and then use the photo created by that screen shot for your wallpaper.

To take a screen shot:

1. Press and hold down Home (round button center bottom)
2. Press and release Sleep (top right button of phone)
2a. You will hear a camera-like shutter sound

Aluminum213

macrumors 68040
Mar 16, 2012
No, it's a FEATURE.

WRONG

I did exactly that and it still greatly zooms in on the photo and can't be adjusted

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
WRONG

I did exactly that and it still greatly zooms in on the photo and can't be adjusted

I just tried t on my iPad 2 and it does work. You need to first enable reduce motion then go back and reselect your wallpaper. Don't touch the wallpaper i.e. change the size. You'll see the the wallpaper now properly scaled.

GreyOS

macrumors 68040
Apr 12, 2012
I just tried t on my iPad 2 and it does work. You need to first enable reduce motion then go back and reselect your wallpaper. Don't touch the wallpaper i.e. change the size. You'll see the the wallpaper now properly scaled.

Sorry not true. With parallax off you can zoom out a bit more but the whole screen must still be taken up by an image. Before iOS 7 you could choose to have black borders.

On iOS 7, unless your wallpaper source is the same aspect ratio as your screen, you can never get the whole image visible.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.