Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Highway61

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 30, 2008
The Buyers Guide here signals that MacBook Air purchases get the green light. However, there is also a note about new MacBook Air owners having problems losing Wi-Fi connections and Apple trying to get to the bottom of it.

On the verge of buying a MacBook Air (I would have already ordered it if I hadn't seen the Wi-Fi problem info), so I would like to know: How many of you have new/newer MacBook Airs and have had Wi-Fi problems? And two, what is the general feeling about the purchase of an MBA, now that there has been reports of Wi-Fi difficulties/

NewbieCanada

macrumors 68030
Oct 9, 2007
The WiFi problems were fixed quite some time ago - within a couple of weeks of the MBA shipping.

When I first got it, when it woke up from sleep it would show as connected, but had no actual internet access. Turning WiFi off and on again would fix it, but I haven’t had to do it since the fix went out.

Highway61

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 30, 2008
The WiFi problems were fixed quite some time ago - within a couple of weeks of the MBA shipping.

When I first got it, when it woke up from sleep it would show as connected, but had no actual internet access. Turning WiFi off and on again would fix it, but I haven’t had to do it since the fix went out.

Oh. Thank you very much. I thought it was a newly discovered issue. I'm glad to learn I was mistaken. Thanks again.

Chandler583

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2005
I have also seen of some users having their connections dropped, but that seems to be caused by the router, and less with the MBA. Keep in mind this is a new wireless radio, there will be issues here and there. On the whole though, Apple wouldn't release a half-baked product where there would be problems left and right.

I say it's a green light. I haven't seen many complain about this issue, and I haven't experienced it. But, that's only been over the course of 3 days.

Highway61

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 30, 2008
Congrats!!

Specs?

Sure, glad to offer specs, but nothing real special. I bought this MacAir so as to set up a kind of mobile office situation when I am on campus and not conducting official office hours.

MACBOOK AIR 13" 1.8 4GB 256SSD

Thanks for asking.

ItHurtsWhenIP

macrumors 6502
Aug 20, 2013
'Merica!
Awesome. Enjoy!

I haven't been so giddy for a new piece of electronics since I was a little kid, but this new Air makes me smile every time I pick it up. :)

maharajji

macrumors newbie
Aug 20, 2013
It's probably not so common as I initially thought but there are still a considerable number of Haswell MBAs that have issues with Wi-Fi. I personally went through 3 of them with the Wi-Fi issue. I tested them with many different routers at five different houses and probably 10 different coffee shops and it had Wi-Fi issues at all locations except at a Starbucks inside a Barnes & Noble where it worked flawlessly.

I think certain stores might just have bad batches as all 3 of mine were from the Best Buy in my city. You've already ordered yours and you'll probably get one without any issues but if you do happen to run into issues you might be able to find some help in the Apple Support Communities at this thread specifically https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5100655?tstart=0

Good luck

Highway61

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 30, 2008
It's probably not so common as I initially thought but there are still a considerable number of Haswell MBAs that have issues with Wi-Fi. I personally went through 3 of them with the Wi-Fi issue. I tested them with many different routers at five different houses and probably 10 different coffee shops and it had Wi-Fi issues at all locations except at a Starbucks inside a Barnes & Noble where it worked flawlessly.

I think certain stores might just have bad batches as all 3 of mine were from the Best Buy in my city. You've already ordered yours and you'll probably get one without any issues but if you do happen to run into issues you might be able to find some help in the Apple Support Communities at this thread specifically https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5100655?tstart=0

Good luck

Why does this seem to happen? As soon as I make the purchase, THEN I get info like this.
I did pick it up today, but I probably wont kook up to the net until Tuesday. I'll just hope for the best, I guess.
In the meantime, thank you very much for the link!

ItHurtsWhenIP

macrumors 6502
Aug 20, 2013
'Merica!
Why does this seem to happen? As soon as I make the purchase, THEN I get info like this.
I did pick it up today, but I probably wont kook up to the net until Tuesday. I'll just hope for the best, I guess.
In the meantime, thank you very much for the link!

I'll say it again.

How many people do you know that go online, seek out a community/forum, JUST to say "Hey, my stuff works like it's supposed to!"?

Of course people are going to come online to complain about something that doesn't work..1,300 replies is a lot, but that's not how many people are having a problem.

That original poster says he found a solution to his problem, for what it's worth.

Highway61

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 30, 2008
I'll say it again.

How many people do you know that go online, seek out a community/forum, JUST to say "Hey, my stuff works like it's supposed to!"?

Of course people are going to come online to complain about something that doesn't work..1,300 replies is a lot, but that's not how many people are having a problem.

That original poster says he found a solution to his problem, for what it's worth.

Yes, yes, you speak with wisdom. Forgive my "Oh, woe is me." (Temporary backslide.)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.