Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Terry Kim

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 29, 2013
I can't decide between the new MBA 2013 or the non-retina MBP :confused: .
Which one is the best for work and some gaming ? Which one should I get ?

The new MBA has HD 5000 with Haswell and the non-retina MBP don't.
So, how much difference does that make ?

Can the non-retina MBP play games like Modern Warfare 3 on high settings better than the MBA 2013 like in this video ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s859LM1R_Ks

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
From what I've read the new GPU in the MBA is performing similarly to the current integrated GPU that's in Apple's MBP so I'd the performance difference will be negligible.

Terry Kim

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 29, 2013
From what I've read the new GPU in the MBA is performing similarly to the current integrated GPU that's in Apple's MBP so I'd the performance difference will be negligible.

It is so hard to choose between these two :confused: .

In terms of temperature, which one overheats easier ? MBP or MBA ?

I have the 2011 MBA, and it gets hot easily. How about the 2013 MBA model, are they the same too ?

And when you said "negligible", which one performs better ?
Because when playing games, even 5 fps difference counts too.

Aylan

macrumors regular
Jun 3, 2013
Boston

Not entirely correct. cMBP has HD4000 graphics versus HD5000. There is a marked performance increase from HD4000 to HD5000.

----------

It is so hard to choose between these two :confused: .

In terms of temperature, which one overheats easier ? MBP or MBA ?

I have the 2011 MBA, and it gets hot easily. How about the 2013 MBA model, are they the same too ?

And when you said "negligible", which one performs better ?
Because when playing games, even 5 fps difference counts too.

HD5000 is about 20-30% better than HD4000. Its limiting factor is TDP. You will just not be able to play modern games on high settings with decent frame rates.

The MBA gets a bit hot when taxing the GPU/CPU but it is not as hot as the 2011 MBA. The MBA is a much better performer than the cMBP.

Terry Kim

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 29, 2013
HD5000 is about 20-30% better than HD4000. Its limiting factor is TDP. You will just not be able to play modern games on high settings with decent frame rates.

The MBA gets a bit hot when taxing the GPU/CPU but it is not as hot as the 2011 MBA. The MBA is a much better performer than the cMBP.

Thanks for the reply, 30fps to 50fps is good enough for me because I will not play games on it regularly and I know the fact that MBA is not intended for gaming. I will use it to play some games when I am away from my gaming systems.

The purposes of buying MBA are for portability and doing school work anyway.
I just want to know how much performance boost that Haswell and Intel HD 5000 give to the new MBA.
Is it better than cMBP ?

Just hope it can run CoD and Minecraft well unlike my 2011 MBA :p .
Anyway, can it run Battlefield 3, even on lowest settings :confused: ?

MikePembo951

macrumors member
May 25, 2013
UK
Thanks for the reply, 30fps to 50fps is good enough for me because I will not play games on it regularly and I know the fact that MBA is not intended for gaming. I will use it to play some games when I am away from my gaming systems.

The purposes of buying MBA are for portability and doing school work anyway.
I just want to know how much performance boost that Haswell and Intel HD 5000 give to the new MBA.
Is it better than cMBP ?

Just hope it can run CoD and Minecraft well unlike my 2011 MBA :p .
Anyway, can it run Battlefield 3, even on lowest settings :confused: ?

Not very well; about 20fps (with very noticeable drops to <15fps) on low 1280x800
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JLjH5WR9oz8

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.