Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mal

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jan 6, 2002
Orlando
I'm trying to troubleshoot an issue with Parental Controls and Google Docs in Safari on Mountain Lion (problem may exist in Lion as well, not sure and don't have an easy way to test). A client of mine has a daughter enrolled in a local private school, and they have an account set up for her in Google Apps. Most of it works fine, but when they try to load a document, even a blank brand-new one, in Google Drive, Safari crashes and the crash report states that "Safari Web Content has crashed".

This account has Parental Controls enabled, and the client has no interest in disabling the Parental Controls, but creating an exception for whatever is being blocked would be fine if we can find it. I know it's connected to the Parental Controls because if we disable them, it loads the document fine. I also tested on my laptop, and the same problem happens if I enable Parental Controls, but if I turn them back off, everything works fine.

According to some forum threads I found via Google, many people have run into a problem where it was trying to connect to a server at 1e100.net, and if they added a rule in the Parental Controls to let that connection through, everything worked fine. This does not work in this case, however, but it's my theory that there may be a similar issue at play here. I can't find what other server it may be connecting to, however, because it doesn't save any logs of blocked access when it crashes, and if I load the page in other browsers, it loads fine but doesn't give me any clues as to any other servers it may be attempting to connect to. I wish Safari still had the Activity Window, because that might have helped me here, but since I don't have that, I'm out of ideas.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

jW

Mal

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jan 6, 2002
Orlando
An update: this doesn't only apply to the school's domain, it crashes on my computer with my own standard Google Drive account. Still can't figure out why. If I turn off Parental Controls, all is well, but if I turn them back on, I cannot successfully open any documents from Google Drive. Safari crashes within 10-15 seconds after opening the document initially, if not sooner.

jW

Mal

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jan 6, 2002
Orlando
Thanks, I tried that, but no change. It actually works fine under 10.6, but not under 10.8 (haven't had a chance to try it on a machine still running 10.7 yet).

jW

gedeyenite

macrumors newbie
Sep 11, 2012
Work Around

This used to happen in 10.6 (might have been 10.5) and there was a way to enter a specific URL into the Parental Controls allowed website to get google products working.

This trick didn't work in 10.8.

I can't help but think the lessening love between Apple and Google has Apple caring less for getting google products to work in Safari. They should know that many of their users still use Google AND OSX.

So I tried installing CHROME on my son's Parental-Controller account. I allowed Chrome through Parental Controls and Google Docs opens fine for use on his account (in Chrome) now.

I hope that helps.

Murph

Mal

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jan 6, 2002
Orlando
This used to happen in 10.6 (might have been 10.5) and there was a way to enter a specific URL into the Parental Controls allowed website to get google products working.

This trick didn't work in 10.8.

I can't help but think the lessening love between Apple and Google has Apple caring less for getting google products to work in Safari. They should know that many of their users still use Google AND OSX.

So I tried installing CHROME on my son's Parental-Controller account. I allowed Chrome through Parental Controls and Google Docs opens fine for use on his account (in Chrome) now.

I hope that helps.

Murph

Thanks. Can't say it helps my customer, but it's confirmation of what I suspected. I already loaded Chrome on there so they can use that.

jW

greenedan

macrumors newbie
Aug 30, 2013
Parental controls and google Documents

Mal, I hope this response is not to late as it has been a year.

If the establishment you are speaking of has a firewall meant to filter content that is of adult relation, the following will work for you:

Under Parental controls->Web you will want to select "Allow unrestricted access websites" (this will still allow you to have Parental controls enabled and restrict access to everything but the web which should be done by a firewall)

The reason Safari crashes is because it does not know what to do with the location you are at and the rules defined by Parental Controls.

This is a completely viable option if the Client has a Firewall setup to filter adult or unrelated content.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.