Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NameTheUser

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 31, 2010
Europe, Estonia
Hi,

I have a PC game called Counter Strike 1.6 that has been ported for Mac with Cider. So when I opened the game, I wanted to configure it for my computer, and I saw a setting called ''Rendering Settings''. There were three options:
1)Software 2)OpenGL 3)D3D . I didn't know what the ''Software'' or ''D3D'' meant, so I clicked on the ''Software''. And then black screen appeared and the game crashed. When I tried to open the game again, it only opened a small white screen and nothing else. And now it happens to every Cider ported game.

Any ideas?

cluthz

macrumors 68040
Jun 15, 2004
Norway
Delete the game and unpack it again.
I think you should have chosen d3d.

If it doesn't work go to ~/Library/application support/ and delete the folder with same name as the game.

NameTheUser

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 31, 2010
Europe, Estonia
It didn't work, but I managed to fix it by myself. You had to delete the game's preferences which are contained under MacHD->Library->Preferences. Thanks for the help anyway :)

carlocea9

macrumors newbie
Mar 26, 2013
It didn't work, but I managed to fix it by myself. You had to delete the game's preferences which are contained under MacHD->Library->Preferences. Thanks for the help anyway :)

I have the similar problem! But I can't find what file to delete.

Though I am not using cider but an actual CS 1.6 for mac.

Please tell help how to fix?

arashb

macrumors 6502
May 3, 2009
I have the similar problem! But I can't find what file to delete.

Though I am not using cider but an actual CS 1.6 for mac.

Please tell help how to fix?

CS 1.6 was never released for Mac. Not sure what you're playing.

Stotka

macrumors regular
Jul 29, 2009
On steam valve has ported cs1.6 to osX. It was until recently in Beta but now its full. Day of defeat is also ported. Even Half Life 1 is ported! :)

tuantmvn

macrumors newbie
Aug 26, 2013

Hi I have the same problems when trying to play CS 1.6 on Macbook ( Lion 10.7.5). I used to play it well before changing the Video system to OpenGL, after that CS 1.6 broken and quit immediately when I open it.

I cant find the file contained game's preferences in Library. Please help me, many thanks.

I came from Asia, so it quite hard to express my Idea, sorry if it have any mistake.

Best regards.

Irishman

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2006
Hi,

I have a PC game called Counter Strike 1.6 that has been ported for Mac with Cider. So when I opened the game, I wanted to configure it for my computer, and I saw a setting called ''Rendering Settings''. There were three options:
1)Software 2)OpenGL 3)D3D . I didn't know what the ''Software'' or ''D3D'' meant, so I clicked on the ''Software''. And then black screen appeared and the game crashed. When I tried to open the game again, it only opened a small white screen and nothing else. And now it happens to every Cider ported game.

Any ideas?

Software refers to how it's rendered onscreen. It means in essence, no hardware acceleration. It doesn't use your video card.

NameTheUser

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 31, 2010
Europe, Estonia
Hi I have the same problems when trying to play CS 1.6 on Macbook ( Lion 10.7.5). I used to play it well before changing the Video system to OpenGL, after that CS 1.6 broken and quit immediately when I open it.

I cant find the file contained game's preferences in Library. Please help me, many thanks.

I came from Asia, so it quite hard to express my Idea, sorry if it have any mistake.

Best regards.

Do you have the original port by Valve or the Cider port? Some older Cider ports of CS 1.6 do not support OS X 10.7+

edddeduck

macrumors 68020
Mar 26, 2004
Do you have the original port by Valve or the Cider port? Some older Cider ports of CS 1.6 do not support OS X 10.7+

If you owned the PC game you will already have the Mac port as the Steam key gives you the PC and Mac versions.

If you don't own the PC version then it means your Mac "Cider port" was a pirated copy.

So if you are having trouble just delete the cider port and install the legitimate version and all should be fine.

Simples :)

phudq90

macrumors newbie
Mar 18, 2014
Hi,

Any ideas?
Sorry for bump old thread, but i have the extracly the same problem with OP.
When i'm going to ~Library->Preferences there is no CS1.6 relate files to delete.
Please suggest.

PedroHX

macrumors newbie
Apr 20, 2014
Hi,

Any ideas?

I have the same problem, please, somebody help me!!!

edddeduck

macrumors 68020
Mar 26, 2004
When i'm going to ~Library->Preferences there is no CS1.6 relate files to delete.
Please suggest.

Just install it from Steam instead, it's a native version and it's free if you own the PC version this avoids all the silly Cider issues.

As for Cider, I would look for Cider Preferences (not the game) in your library, you can try and open the game in a new user and see if that also crashes. If it does it means the settings are stores in the global library, if it doesn't it means they are stored in the users library.

Edwin

Wizdim

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2014
Fixed it!!!!!

I have the same problem, please, somebody help me!!!

Shoo I have been struggling for days with this one, I was about to give and then downloaded another cs1.6, but still the same issue. It doesn't matter if you re install it or whatever, you gotta delete it from preferences, I just followed the advice, I searched from top to bottom under library/preferences folder, it seems it was sitting at the bottom of the preference folder titled 'Counter Strike 1.6 Preferences', I deleted both folders and my cs1.6 is opening again.... sori I missed killing some punks! see ya!:mad:

gabidebaas

macrumors newbie
Apr 6, 2017
Please suggest.
I also expierience the same problem, anyone a fix?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.