Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rockitdog

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Mar 25, 2013
I ordered a case off amazon for my iPhone 5 and noticed the packaging stated it was for the iPhone 5S/ 5. So this confirms what we all knew (but I just wanted to reiterate):

1. The next iPhone will be called the iPhone 5S
2. It will be the exact same size of the iPhone 5

u3u7avut.jpg

Last edited:

Kissaragi

macrumors 68020
Nov 16, 2006
It confirms a case manufacturer reads mac rumour sites and thinks it will be called the 5s

dejo

Moderator emeritus
Sep 2, 2004
The Centennial State
This wouldn't be the first time a case manufacturer prematurely released a product based on rumors. So, this is hardly confirmation. That won't come until Apple officially announces the new iPhone. It's just speculation.

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
This wouldn't be the first time a case manufacturer prematurely released a product based on rumors. So, this is hardly confirmation. That won't come until Apple officially announces the new iPhone. It's just speculation.

Agreed, the case manufacturer is probably guessing.

3rd Rock

macrumors 6502
Aug 10, 2012
Over here
We get these type of post every year from someone that see's a manufacture web site that has an Apple iPhone photo on it of a possible next version, and they post it thinking its legit, but its only a guess just like the other stuff on this and other forums. ;) Anyone with half a brain will know this and it's probably correct since all the rumors have been out for a good while, and not much of a guess anyway.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Simply thinking/believing/guessing/guessing something is true doesn't make it a fact.

SanjeevRana

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2011
To be little bit fair to OP, that manufacturer (SGP Spigen) is pretty well reputed and one of the top Apple accessories provider ...

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Sept 10 can not get here fast enough!!! Just want these rumors too end! I'm addicted to reading them lol

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
To be little bit fair to OP, that manufacturer (SGP Spigen) is pretty well reputed and one of the top Apple accessories provider ...
While that might be the case (no pun intended) and even if it turns out to be true, at this point it still simply can't be considered a fact or proof of anything unless and until Apple themselves confirm it one way or another, which will basically happen when they reveal the new phone.

iBreatheApple

macrumors 68030
Sep 3, 2011
Florida
Not sure a third-part case manufacturer confirms anything. They're taking a business gamble based on history. If they succeed they'll be one of the only cases on the net on announcement day for people to order cheap temp cases until their favorite companies drop theirs weeks/months later. If they're wrong they'll have to deal with the backlash and refunds from angry customers who ordered pre-announcement.

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom

Not a reputable manufacturer.

I'm pretty sure early Spigen cases from last iPhone launch had the name 'The new iPhone' rather than the 'iPhone 5'.

They're just guessing, like all of us, but it's not hard to put two and two together after 3G/3GS, 4/4S.

Edit: Couldn't find a Spigen pic, but Speck, also another reputable manufacturer (Apple gave their cases away in the iPhone 4 case program, so you think they'd be 'in the know'), called their early cases for the iP5 for 'the new iPhone':

PixelSkin%20HD%201-768x576.jpg

Last edited:

JodyK

macrumors 6502a
Jan 29, 2010
Northern Atlanta suburbs
I too think that it will be called iPhone 5 and will be same size BUT this in no way confirms it 100%!

As all have said this is from a case manufacturer not Apple ... Question ... What does the flash opening for this case look like?

Oblong and taller for dual flash???

AFDoc

Suspended
Jun 29, 2012
Colorado Springs USA for now
I ordered a case off amazon for my iPhone 5 and noticed the packaging stated it was for the iPhone 5S/ 5. So this confirms what we all knew (but I just wanted to reiterate):

Wow... you confirmed something that's been well known for a while now!! You are AWESOME!!!!!

PNutts

macrumors 601
Jul 24, 2008
Pacific Northwest, US
Unlike folks recently in Time-Out I find this thread interesting. I went to their website and followed all the links.

Here's a link to their Champagne Gold 5S case on Amazon. Besides the color being ugly, the orifice for the camera and flash is simply large enough to accommodate the dual flash (if the 5S has a dual flash). Also note that it's in stock September 30th.

OP: What case did you get?

3rd Rock

macrumors 6502
Aug 10, 2012
Over here

Does not confirm anything. Last year a case manufacture offered a case for the upcoming iphone 5 early, and low and behold, the case manufacture had to pull it because it did not conform to the new design when Apple released the phone. Some manufactures guess at the rumor spec's and hope it will fit. Don't ever go by an early release of a phone case and hope it fits for those that are in a hurry. Wait until the announcement first. You still have time to get a case before the phone arrives.

sulpfiction

macrumors 68040
Aug 16, 2011
Philadelphia Area
If they're wrong they'll have to deal with the backlash and refunds from angry customers who ordered pre-announcement.

In this case, if their wrong, they only have to cross out the 5S and sell it as an iPhone 5 case. Only gamble they took was re-printing some packaging.

----------

Question ... What does the flash opening for this case look like?

Oblong and taller for dual flash???

My guess would be that it has a large, generic opening for the camera and the flash.

iBreatheApple

macrumors 68030
Sep 3, 2011
Florida
In this case, if their wrong, they only have to cross out the 5S and sell it as an iPhone 5 case. Only gamble they took was re-printing some packaging.

No because people my be pre-ordering now to be prepared. I did the same thing last year; bout my iPhone 5 case based on spec leaks a few weeks before the phone was announced.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.