Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PDXPean

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 12, 2012
My MBA arrived yesterday and I unpackaged everything today. I noticed some imperfections on the case/housing. It was difficult to take a picture of them but was able to capture one that should be clear for you all to view.

What is seen in the picture is on the top and there is a similar area on the bottom. These areas are elevated from the case and possibly could be wiped away. I just am hesitant to try that at this point.

I also count 10 minor chips on the top and bottom of the case. These are very small, but noticeable. My concern is that this is a brand new machine and eventual resale value. I obviously would have to point these out to a potential buyer in the future.

I also notice that I have the hinge issue as seen in other threads. I know that a Genius can fix this issue.

Compared to the other keys, the spacebar is not as firm, more wobbly than the other keys. Basically, if I move a finger back and forth on it, it rocks. I am not sure if that is typical or not.

So, with all of these issues - especially the chips and the raised areas on the case - is it something that Apple would replace/fix? I can take it to the Apple Store tomorrow if you all feel that is appropriate.

Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_1583.JPG
    IMG_1583.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 222

PDXPean

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 12, 2012
And, also, how do they trust people like me that it came like this and I didn't do it? Just take my word?

ItHurtsWhenIP

macrumors 6502
Aug 20, 2013
'Merica!
And, also, how do they trust people like me that it came like this and I didn't do it? Just take my word?

As a human being, the employees might not believe it came like that, but as a company, and as representatives of that company, they don't really have a choice but to believe you.

newdeal

macrumors 68030
Oct 21, 2009
I got one from best buy opened the box in the car, saw a small dent on the bottom (mostly just visible when looking at an off angle) and walked it right back in and returned it. Apple may hold this damage against you if you ever had to have it repaired under warranty and its so rare to have an issue with quality control there is no reason to keep one that is damaged

Doublea6

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2013
Well why would you just mark it up to return it right after you bought it?

Spacial

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2013
I'd not ponder the possibilities since that causes a delay. Returning it as fast as possible would be my approach. Give Apple a chance to keep you happy.

TheRealDamager

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2011
Why haven't you at least tried to wipe off those "raised" areas? Is it possible it's just a bit of adhesive? How big are the "chips"?

Bottom line - just do an exchange...

Roman2K~

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2011
Those marks look very similar to some I had (though smaller in my case) on an iPad 3 and rMBP. Mine were very dry, hard glue. They can be removed cleanly rubbing with your nails and saliva.

PDXPean

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 12, 2012
I called AppleCare. They're having me return it, then will ship a new one. They said they'll expedite it but it still sucks I have to wait again. I wish the Apple Store carried more than just the base models!

Doublea6

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2013
I called AppleCare. They're having me return it, then will ship a new one. They said they'll expedite it but it still sucks I have to wait again. I wish the Apple Store carried more than just the base models!

Seriously.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.