Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

morty192

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 26, 2010
Hello all,

Yesterday I noticed unusual clouds on the my iPhone 5's photos, I tried to clean the camera with a screen cleaning solution and micro fibre cloth but this hasn't helped at all. Please see attached photos for example of what I'm referring to. It appears as 3 small black dots that are present in photos and certainly are not just natural shadow.

Is there any way to fix this problem? I have had the phone since it's release at the end of September, I'm thinking of making an appointment with a genius, will I have to pay for a new camera?

Yours

morty192

Attachments

• IMG_1388.jpg
    IMG_1388.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 509
  • IMG_1387.jpg
    IMG_1387.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 361

zybersniper

macrumors member
Jan 2, 2013
Hello all,

Yesterday I noticed unusual clouds on the my iPhone 5's photos, I tried to clean the camera with a screen cleaning solution and micro fibre cloth but this hasn't helped at all. Please see attached photos for example of what I'm referring to. It appears as 3 small black dots that are present in photos and certainly are not just natural shadow.

Is there any way to fix this problem? I have had the phone since it's release at the end of September, I'm thinking of making an appointment with a genius, will I have to pay for a new camera?

Yours

morty192

No you will not have to pay for a new camera. They will swap your iPhone with a refurbished one that works and looks like new. You have dust in your camera sensor which can NOT be fixed by you. This happens to DSLR all the time, but their sensors can be accessed for cleaning.

iKIKO

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2011
All my photos on my iphone 5 get this stain. I hava tried clean the lens on the back and i cant see nothing behind the glass. What do you think it could be?

1D76DBA9-2CD9-4678-8575-B71C4BD321B6-2979-000001F86286D9DF.jpg

vastoholic

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2009
Tulsa, OK
All my photos on my iphone 5 get this stain. I hava tried clean the lens on the back and i cant see nothing behind the glass. What do you think it could be?

That's a batmobile. Seriously, research your cars before you buy a big ticket item like that :p

Ok, sorry after the initial shock/amazement of what you were taking a picture of, I've seen that issue a few times on these forums. I think the experts here said it was a bad sensor. Not dust, but an actual physical problem on the sensor. That should be replaceable under the standard warranty for manufacturer defect.

Oppressed

macrumors 65816
Aug 15, 2010
I had the EXACT same issue and I took it in and got it replaced no questions asked. You can see it below above the balloon and to the left a bit.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    595.7 KB · Views: 475

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA

As the other guy said, sensor problem.

But to the important stuff, where did you get the batmobile?????

vastoholic

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2009
Tulsa, OK
But to the important stuff, where did you get the batmobile?????

Inquiring nerd minds must know the answer!! I'm hoping is a really well done scale model and not a life size version sitting in his garage. Otherwise, I will be messaging him to see if I can borrow it.

zybersniper

macrumors member
Jan 2, 2013
I had the EXACT same issue and I took it in and got it replaced no questions asked. You can see it below above the balloon and to the left a bit.

This is a very good example of debris on the sensor. A lot of people take pictures of a blue sky or a very white plain background to check for this on DSLR.

The stain however, doesn't look like dust. You should replace the phone none the less.

iKIKO

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2011
Inquiring nerd minds must know the answer!! I'm hoping is a really well done scale model and not a life size version sitting in his garage. Otherwise, I will be messaging him to see if I can borrow it.

It is actually the real batmobile. Its in warner studios in burbank usa. My last vacations

Copefree

macrumors member
Sep 21, 2012
I had the same problem a month into owning my launch-day IP5 and Apple replaced my phone no questions asked.

76FEEC8E-ACAE-4786-B3DC-E61984E5ECED-170-00000004488C777E.jpg

See the spec just to the right of the TV.

AppleFanatic10

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2010
Hawthorne, CA
Hello all,

Yours

morty192

Had a friend who was having the same issue. He went to the Apple store and they swapped him out a new one.

Shinamoto77

macrumors newbie
Aug 19, 2013
And what should you bring to the apple store to get your iphone replaced? And... Thet give you a brand new one?

Tasugai

macrumors newbie
Aug 31, 2013
I noticed a dark spot on my iPhone 5 photos. Do I need to make an appt with Apple or just walk in?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 239

PsstGreek

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2010
Tampa Bay
I noticed a dark spot on my iPhone 5 photos. Do I need to make an appt with Apple or just walk in?

Making an appointment will be the wiser decision. Otherwise you're going to have to wait and see if they have an opening to squeeze you in with a genius.

Dee2001

macrumors member
Nov 12, 2009

Definitely make an appointment before going in. I just had my iPhone 5 replaced with the same issue. The genius even told me that my power button wasn't working correctly and I hadn't noticed that. Shows how often I switch it off and on. lol

sime0n

macrumors newbie
Sep 6, 2008
I have this weird u shape line on my pictures.

Anyone know how to fix it? Phone is out of warranty. I don't notice any scratches on the external lens so I wonder if this is sensor or not.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    726 KB · Views: 231

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
I have this weird u shape line on my pictures.

Anyone know how to fix it? Phone is out of warranty. I don't notice any scratches on the external lens so I wonder if this is sensor or not.

It's not a scratch, but dust .... If you are out of warranty, well ....

btv94

macrumors newbie
Nov 13, 2013

i recently discover same thing happen to my iphone 5 (strain). It must be the sensor itself because i did clean camera lens and internal window, but the strain still there..

I would like to keep my iphone 5 and want the camera works the way it should.

Does anyone here replace the camera and the strain go away? if yes where to get new camera?

Thanks,

hthakkar8

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2014
I have the same problem and it's put of warranty
What should I do?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 236
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.