Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

josges

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 25, 2011
okay so I downloaded 10.9 and installed it. I can no longer boot up into my main HD. just spools at the apple logo for hours. I went into recovery and repaired the permissions and the disk. both had errors when I vrified them. still couldnt boot up. so now I want to see how to go back to mountain lion. I cant downgrade from recovery because it wont allow it because im already in a newer version. if anybody could help me it would be much appreciated!

bbfc

macrumors 68040
Oct 22, 2011
Newcastle, England.
okay so I downloaded 10.9 and installed it. I can no longer boot up into my main HD. just spools at the apple logo for hours. I went into recovery and repaired the permissions and the disk. both had errors when I vrified them. still couldnt boot up. so now I want to see how to go back to mountain lion. I cant downgrade from recovery because it wont allow it because im already in a newer version. if anybody could help me it would be much appreciated!

You really have no backup of ML?

You could attempt to do an Internet Recovery.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
There are multiple threads right here on MR of this very subject. Easy to find. But here ya go.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2oDHgm3OFdQ

I have to say I was getting seasick from watching that video.

Bottom line, you need a thumb drive with Mountain Lion installed on it. The recovery partition is at 10.9 and won't download any older version from the internet recovery option.

I haven't mucked with the internet recovery or needed to do any restore so I can't confirm this first hand but rather what I've read on the internet and if its on the internet it must be true :p

macrumors 68040
Dec 16, 2011

What you need to do is get into Internet Recovery.

Since you probably installed Mavericks without a developer account, what you're going to need is an OS install disc of Windows, Linux, anything you can get.

You'll need to use that to erase the recovery partition of your computer. Then, turn off your computer, and turn it on while holding Command + R. You'll be prompted to connect to the internet and then you'll be able to get into recovery mode.

Remember that recovery mode will go to the oldest OS of your computer. If your computer shipped with Lion, Internet Recovery will only download Lion. If you shipped with Mountain Lion, it'll only download Mountain Lion.

If your computer came with Snow Leopard or older, find your install disc, and reinstall the system.

You'll most likely have to completely wipe your Hard Drive too, so if you can back up your hard drive in any way (i.e. making a partition to install L/ML, then backing up your drive that has Mavericks).

Next time just wait.

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States

Bottom line, you need a thumb drive with Mountain Lion installed on it. The recovery partition is at 10.9 and won't download any older version from the internet recovery option.

I haven't mucked with the internet recovery or needed to do any restore so I can't confirm this first hand but rather what I've read on the internet and if its on the internet it must be true :p

LOL, sorry about that and to the OP if he/she took the time to watch that. I didn't really check the video. I was just searching for an instructional video to help out the OP. Agreed, that guy in the video could've put the camera on a tripod.

macrumors 68040
Dec 16, 2011

You're right, the recovery partition updates, so the recovery partition needs to download Mavericks beta, which obviously it cant without a valid ID.

it's the same for Mountain Lion/Lion recovery too if the copy isn't from the store. Only way to fix it is to boot to a CD with Linux, Windows, or some other install, or a USB, and delete the recovery drive.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.