Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

A beta version of Godus, an upcoming game for the Mac and PC by accomplished video game designer Peter Molyneux, is set to be released September 13th through Steam Early Access. The game, which is similar to Molyneux's early titles like Populous and Black and White, previously raised over £526,563 as a Kickstarter project late last year, well over its intended goal of £450,000.

GODUS empowers you in the role of a god, allowing you to sculpt every inch of a beautiful world that you look down upon, on which a population of followers settle and multiply. As you mould every aspect of your unique utopia, a civilization will blossom across your land and offer you their belief. The more followers that believe in you, the more powerful you will become.
The game also intertwines with Peter Molyneux's popular iOS title Curiosity, a social experiment that asked players to chip away at a giant cube to reveal the secret hidden inside. The person who removed the final cube won a "life changing" prize, which ended up being a grant of special powers within Godus for one year upon its release. Bryan Henderson of Edinburgh, who won, will be the game's sole digital god, earning a portion of all the game's incoming revenue.

22Cans is also planning to release an iOS version of Godus following its Mac and PC release.

Article Link: Peter Molyneux's 'Godus' to Be Released on Mac September 13th

ThunderSkunk

macrumors 68040
Dec 31, 2007
Milwaukee Area
How many minions believe you exist is how much power you have?

If you were powerful enough to create a world and time and space to begin with, conceivably before you created people to live on them and believe in you, then it seems you'd be plenty powerful on your own, regardless of whether or not there were people or how many, to believe you exist. And that's the ultimate goal? To have people believe you exist? A bit selfish no? So you, as an all-powerful being, create everything then stay hidden, let the people convince each other you exist, tooooo see if they'll believe things on word of mouth alone? To see if they can figure out an inconsequential puzzle? Or if there is consequence, what is the consequence of not getting it 100% right? 60% right? Seems like, for an all powerful god, a kind of a juvenile way to go about having some company, when, conceivably, if there's a realm and framework for you to be a god in, you could just hang with other gods (or make some if necessary). The conversation would be a lot more stimulating than the petty nattering of barely-sentient minions.

Compelling game though. Clever, & looks beautiful. Fun with tribal warfare.

Last edited:

tekelley2

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2011
California
Spelling errors in their promotional video? Game can't be that good then. If they can't spell the code will likely be messed up.

Jab00

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2012
Boulder,CO
Civilisation is the British spelling...

Ahh okay that makes more sense... As I was watching the video it looked off but still looked like it might be right so I waited until somebody said something to chime in about it.. learn new things every day!

Otis Bagotis

macrumors member
May 9, 2013
So he leaves the studio he founded, the studio that created the three amazing Fable games, and goes on to Kickstart this uninspired game? I understand it's a proof of concept demo but the gameplay seems so old-school.

joshhedge

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2012
So he leaves the studio he founded, the studio that created the three amazing Fable games, and goes on to Kickstart this uninspired game? I understand it's a proof of concept demo but the gameplay seems so old-school.

If you watch the steam green light trailer, the gameplay is much improved :)

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
I'm curious:

Does the game's developer believe in a deity?

How do you get the ingame characters to believe in you?

If you have the power to manifest yourself and just walk around, perform miracles, and say you're God that should make it pretty easy...

GenesisST

macrumors 68000
Jan 23, 2006
Where I live
Which is the correct spelling. Silly Americans.

Canadians are sillier...

We use colour, behaviour, but not tyre...

Even worse... We don't know use imperial for weights and lengths (but not distances!), but Fahrenheits and miles are really foreign...

And it is Zed, not zee!!!

:D

V.K.

macrumors 6502a
Dec 5, 2007
Toronto, Canada
If you watch the steam green light trailer, the gameplay is much improved :)

just watched the steam trailer and while it does look somewhat better than that kickstarter video that's not saying much. The graphics looks VERY primitive. I love strategy games and perhaps the gameplay makes up for that but I'll wait to see the reviews before buying this one.

Solomani

macrumors 601
Sep 25, 2012
Slapfish, North Carolina
I'm curious:

Does the game's developer believe in a deity?

How do you get the ingame characters to believe in you?

If you have the power to manifest yourself and just walk around, perform miracles, and say you're God that should make it pretty easy...

I will offer my followers the promise of Paradise and 7 virgins. But they must follow my dictates exactly and must exterminate all those who are infidels. I'll be a convincing deity once I get to play this game.

Manderby

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2006
Yet another "Indie-game". The ideas run out pretty fast, huh?

Looks like Minecraft with floating points. :) But Pre-alpha.

Congratulations to the creator. But I'm unimpressed.

kingtj

macrumors 68030
Oct 23, 2003
Brunswick, MD
Quite so, but ....

I supposed one theory is, perhaps, that a creator/god wouldn't have even bothered doing the creating if ego wasn't at least part of the motivation?

Maybe the goal for such an all-powerful being really IS simply to see how many people will believe in one's existence?

It's probably pretty lonely otherwise, being able to create a whole universe, yet nobody in it even realizing you're out there?

How many minions believe you exist is how much power you have?

If you were powerful enough to create a world and time and space to begin with, conceivably before you created people to live on them and believe in you, then it seems you'd be plenty powerful on your own, regardless of whether or not there were people or how many, to believe you exist. And that's the ultimate goal? To have people believe you exist? A bit selfish no? So you, as an all-powerful being, create everything then stay hidden, let the people convince each other you exist, tooooo see if they'll believe things on word of mouth alone? To see if they can figure out an inconsequential puzzle? Or if there is consequence, what is the consequence of not getting it 100% right? 60% right? Seems like, for an all powerful god, a kind of a juvenile way to go about having some company, when, conceivably, if there's a realm and framework for you to be a god in, you could just hang with other gods (or make some if necessary). The conversation would be a lot more stimulating than the petty nattering of barely-sentient minions.

Compelling game though. Clever, & looks beautiful. Fun with tribal warfare.

iZac

macrumors 68030
Apr 28, 2003
UK
It could be fun, but even the steam promo video doesn't really "sell" it. The land sculpting is obviously the reason to play it, but I think they realised it was simply too powerful and nerfed it.

Curiosity was clearly a proof of concept for this game - thousands of users all clicking away simultaneously and seeing (mostly) the correct play space streamed from the server. That sounds like Molyneux wanted this to be some kind of Civ MMO but - as with ALL his ideas, things got scaled back.

I appreciate that this is now an indie studio he's running and really - if the gameplay is there, I'll be delighted to play it whatever the case - but I get this feeling that Black and White was even a deeper, better resolved and better looking game than this?

Having said that, for all his empty promises, Molyneux is a God <-- (pun) of the gaming world and I wish him the best of luck. As Dazed suggested, I may also pick this up on iOS once the inevitable teething problems have been fixed.

zync

macrumors 68000
Sep 8, 2003
Tampa, FL
Which is the correct spelling. Silly Americans.

On a serious note, take my money!

And yet I've never heard a Brit pronounce it with anything but a 'z' sound. ;)

Silly Brits, civilization is spelled civitas. The Italians owned it first, at least as far as English is concerned. That's what matters, right? Any further changes to spelling or pronunciation are irrelevant.

Oops, I meant that's what matters, riht?

However, since we're writing on the Internet, and since the Internet originated in America, we have to follow proper American spelling while we're on it. Sorry, we own it.

I'm having a bit of fun here in case that wasn't obvious. ;)

Back on topic, this game seems weird. What determines who wins in a fight? Is it their conviction? And the winner of another game is the god of this game and gets revenue? What? And if he's the god of this game, what are you then exactly when you play? Are you a lesser god? I hope one of the other linked articles explains this because I'm confused.

joshhedge

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2012
And yet I've never heard a Brit pronounce it with anything but a 'z' sound. ;)

Silly Brits, civilization is spelled civitas. The Italians owned it first, at least as far as English is concerned. That's what matters, right? Any further changes to spelling or pronunciation are irrelevant.

Oops, I meant that's what matters, riht?

However, since we're writing on the Internet, and since the Internet originated in America, we have to follow proper American spelling while we're on it. Sorry, we own it.

I'm having a bit of fun here in case that wasn't obvious. ;)

Back on topic, this game seems weird. What determines who wins in a fight? Is it their conviction? And the winner of another game is the god of this game and gets revenue? What? And if he's the god of this game, what are you then exactly when you play? Are you a lesser god? I hope one of the other linked articles explains this because I'm confused.

The last I knew, the world wide web was invented by an Englishman, Sir Timothy John "Tim" Berners-Lee. ;)

I'm assuming it comes down to a numbers game, as I can't see any variation in unit type, along with god intervention.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.