Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DanElusive

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 29, 2013
I have just purchased a G5 powermac 2 x 2.3Ghz which currently has a GeForce 6600 graphics card installed with 2 dvi ports. My question is, can I purchase an identical card and install it in the pci slot above the current one, in order to have 4 dvi ports for monitors? I assume there is drivers to install or at least steps to take before I will get 4 useable dvi ports.

Any help anyone can offer will be greatly appreciated!

Thank you,

Dan.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I have just purchased a G5 powermac 2 x 2.3Ghz which currently has a GeForce 6600 graphics card installed with 2 dvi ports. My question is, can I purchase an identical card and install it in the pci slot above the current one, in order to have 4 dvi ports for monitors? I assume there is drivers to install or at least steps to take before I will get 4 useable dvi ports.

Any help anyone can offer will be greatly appreciated!

Thank you,

Dan.
It should just automatically detect the new card and give you four displays.

DZ/015

macrumors 6502a
Mar 23, 2003
New England
I believe you would need a pci graphics card. I am pretty sure a pcie card will not work in a pci or pci-x slot.

Nameci

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2010
The Philippines...
I believe you would need a pci graphics card. I am pretty sure a pcie card will not work in a pci or pci-x slot.

I also believe that what he had is a late 2005 PM G5 2.3DC due to him mentioning that the graphics card is a GF6600. The GF6600 is a PCIe card.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.