Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Geeyan :)

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 31, 2013
i was thinking of getting an Ipod Touch 5th Gen :D though i haven't given much thought on what color should I get. (surely i won't be getting pink) all colors are nice ^^

so.. should I get the 32GB or 64GB?
what am I going to do with my 5th gen,, hmm..
Music, Books, Apps, hmm.. im also into Movies/TV Series. So most likely i'll fill it with maaaany stuffs. haha
64GB might be the best, but I'm afraid it will lag.
Will it lag if I add too much files??

or should I stick with 32GB just to be safe?

thanks and Good Day! :)

Beeplance

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012
Depends on the capacity of the content you are intending to put in. If it's more than 28.5GB*, or will grow to more than 28.5GB in a few weeks/months, then it's only logical to get the 64GB version.

I don't think there would be any lag even if its full of content. Even if there is, I'd assume it'll be quite subtle.

* 32GB iPod touch only comes with 28.5GB worth of storage, not 32GB.

BeK

macrumors regular
Mar 2, 2012
I have a 64GB iPad, a 32GB iPhone 4S and a 64GB iPhone 5. They all run great. I haven't noticed any lag whatsoever. When I used android devices they lagged all the time but that's not the case with Apple products from my experience.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
There's no lag from having the larger storage capacity. If you think you need the 64GB, get it.

I'm about 75% full on a 64GB device. I would find it tough (if not impossible) to get it under 32GB.

defunct32

macrumors regular
Jul 19, 2013
Earlier this year in June 2013 I had enough cash for an iPod Touch 5th Gen, I've always wanted the 64 GB but I have this mindset that "it's way too much and it's really unnecessary to have that much" and there's also the matter of pricing, I can afford the 64 GB but I will need another month or so to save up (I don't earn big money).

Fast forward I decided to go with the 32 GB, in actuality it's 29 GB (after the OS and etc took up some space this is your actual real space; 29 GB), after I've filled up 4 GB worth of music, 3 GB worth of MP4 videos and the various game apps (all ranging from 40 MB to over 2 GB+) I'm now left with a miserable 750 MB and I STILL WANT MORE!

Seriously, it all depends on what you want to use it for? If it's PURELY music and no apps no nothing, JUST PURE MUSIC you can opt for the 16 GB (no back camera no loop version), if you want to do a bit of gaming and just a tiny bit of music and no videos then 32 GB is nice, if you want everything then 64 GB is best!

I think I'm talking way too much but right now as of this moment, I am saving up for a 64 GB but I will not get another 5th Gen I'll wait for the 6th, it may come out this year or it may not but whatever it is 32 GB for my kind of usage is NOT ENOUGH.

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 31, 2013
I have a 64GB iPad, a 32GB iPhone 4S and a 64GB iPhone 5. They all run great. I haven't noticed any lag whatsoever. When I used android devices they lagged all the time but that's not the case with Apple products from my experience.
really? i must be a little paranoid 'coz i am also an android user and i've seen many devices gone slow because of too much apps. =_=

Earlier this year in June 2013 I had enough cash for an iPod Touch 5th Gen, I've always wanted the 64 GB but I have this mindset that "it's way too much and it's really unnecessary to have that much" and there's also the matter of pricing, I can afford the 64 GB but I will need another month or so to save up (I don't earn big money).

Fast forward I decided to go with the 32 GB, in actuality it's 29 GB (after the OS and etc took up some space this is your actual real space; 29 GB), after I've filled up 4 GB worth of music, 3 GB worth of MP4 videos and the various game apps (all ranging from 40 MB to over 2 GB+) I'm now left with a miserable 750 MB and I STILL WANT MORE!

Seriously, it all depends on what you want to use it for? If it's PURELY music and no apps no nothing, JUST PURE MUSIC you can opt for the 16 GB (no back camera no loop version), if you want to do a bit of gaming and just a tiny bit of music and no videos then 32 GB is nice, if you want everything then 64 GB is best!

I think I'm talking way too much but right now as of this moment, I am saving up for a 64 GB but I will not get another 5th Gen I'll wait for the 6th, it may come out this year or it may not but whatever it is 32 GB for my kind of usage is NOT ENOUGH.
wow! thank you all guys for the fast and long response. this is what i really need ^^
and my answer will be... GET THE 64GB!!!!! hahahahaha! :D
i'm the type who gets bored easily so i know i'll fill the memory in no time. haha!

so... what color did you guys get?
any recommendations what should i get? hehe.
im thinking of getting black because it's chique and classy. but the colored ones is an eyecandy. hmmm hmmm..

defunct32

macrumors regular
Jul 19, 2013

im thinking of getting black because it's chique and classy. but the colored ones is an eyecandy. hmmm hmmm..

Nice isn't it when you get quick and fast response! ;) we're all here to help!

I got myself a Silver one, I SHOULD HAVE GONE with the Slate and Black cause like you said it is PURE CLASSIC and looks REALLY SLICK!

Don't get me wrong I love the silver, I originally wanted the blue or yellow but those were out (damn!) so I opted for the Silver one. The only gripe I have is the white front of the iPod tends to get yellowish or fade in color but oh well, at least the back isn't made of Chrome, and it doesn't scratch that easily, also I went without any casing and no scratches so far! *crosses finger* but I STRONGLY SUGGESTS you go get a screen protector if you not getting any kind of casing!

Also, the 5th Gen is fast and fluid but it does have its moments of slowdown, but NOTHING to cry about I promise you. Haha, what you can do to minimize slow down is to ensure to kill all on-going apps that you are not currently using. Double click on the HOME button and multi-tasking will appear at the bottom, hold down the app and it will jiggle and a "no entry" sign will appear then just click on those to "kill" those app, this way it won't hog too much RAM from your iPod.

I will emphasize more on the slowdown; it's actually when I play games with heavy graphics that does have a bit of slowdown but even then it is STILL fluid, that's how good the 5th Gen is thanks to the upgraded A5 chip, but if you're talking about normal app usage and all those stuff, nope, there is no slowdown whatsoever! But still like I've advised you above to kill any apps you're currently not using! ;)

Last edited:

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
I went with black because none of the other colors called to me. In order of preference if I had to take from existing stock and some colors were not available would be Black->Blue->White.

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 31, 2013
I went with black because none of the other colors called to me. In order of preference if I had to take from existing stock and some colors were not available would be Black->Blue->White.
I think i'll just leave it up base on stock. haha! but.. what if they are all available? lol.

I have another question.
what are the video formats that Ipod Touch 5th gen can play? :)

Nice isn't it when you get quick and fast response! ;) we're all here to help!

I got myself a Silver one, I SHOULD HAVE GONE with the Slate and Black cause like you said it is PURE CLASSIC and looks REALLY SLICK!

Don't get me wrong I love the silver, I originally wanted the blue or yellow but those were out (damn!) so I opted for the Silver one. The only gripe I have is the white front of the iPod tends to get yellowish or fade in color but oh well, at least the back isn't made of Chrome, and it doesn't scratch that easily, also I went without any casing and no scratches so far! *crosses finger* but I STRONGLY SUGGESTS you go get a screen protector if you not getting any kind of casing!

Also, the 5th Gen is fast and fluid but it does have its moments of slowdown, but NOTHING to cry about I promise you. Haha, what you can do to minimize slow down is to ensure to kill all on-going apps that you are not currently using. Double click on the HOME button and multi-tasking will appear at the bottom, hold down the app and it will jiggle and a "no entry" sign will appear then just click on those to "kill" those app, this way it won't hog too much RAM from your iPod.

I will emphasize more on the slowdown; it's actually when I play games with heavy graphics that does have a bit of slowdown but even then it is STILL fluid, that's how good the 5th Gen is thanks to the upgraded A5 chip, but if you're talking about normal app usage and all those stuff, nope, there is no slowdown whatsoever! But still like I've advised you above to kill any apps you're currently not using! ;)

you sure do know alot about itouch!! :D hihihi.
they said silver is nice because if you accidentally chipped your device, it wont be that obvious. haha!

Y-Yellowish?! now that got me alarmed. Really? O_O now I am more inclined to get the black one. hahahahaha
I would get the red one if the front wasn't white. urgh.

wow. thanks for the tip. i'll remember this! always kill the unused apps. hehe :p

btw, you should get a screen protector for your device too. haha! just to be safe haha

Last edited:

Zmanbaseball2

macrumors 68040
Aug 24, 2012
New York, USA

I think i'll just leave it up base on stock. haha! but.. what if they are all available? lol.

I have another question.

they said silver is nice because if you accidentally chipped your device, it wont be that obvious. haha!

Y-Yellowish?! now that got me alarmed. Really? O_O now I am more inclined to get the black one. hahahahaha

wow. thanks for the tip. i'll remember this! always kill the unused apps. hehe :p

btw, you should get a screen protector for your device too. haha! just to be safe haha

I have the blue iPod touch 32gb and it is more than enough for me. Try living with an iPhone 5 16GB. I hAve 2.5 GB left but I am try to leave 1.5-2GB so nothing lags.
I have these screen protectors:
Tech Armor Apple New iPod Touch (5th / Latest Generation) HD Clear Screen Protector with Lifetime Replacement Warranty [3-Pack]
http://amzn.com/B008XV7VTG
From Apple Website:
Video formats supported: H.264 video up to 1080p, 30 frames per second, High Profile level 4.1 with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats; MPEG-4 video up to 2.5 Mbps, 640 by 480 pixels, 30 frames per second, Simple Profile with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps per channel, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats; Motion JPEG (M-JPEG) up to 35 Mbps, 1280 by 720 pixels, 30 frames per second, audio in ulaw, PCM stereo audio in .avi file format

defunct32

macrumors regular
Jul 19, 2013

I have another question.

No problem! I already have a screen protector on! ;) and whatever I knew of the iPod touch I learned it from this forums and on the internet! Haha.

Yes, they do kinda get yellowish of sort after a while and if that bothers you then you should stick with the slate and black, although I do have to say the other colors are really nice too! Don't worry the yellowish isn't bright, crazy yellow it just kinda you know how white tends to get really faded and yellow kind of yellow? Haha.

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 31, 2013
I have the blue iPod touch 32gb and it is more than enough for me. Try living with an iPhone 5 16GB. I hAve 2.5 GB left but I am try to leave 1.5-2GB so nothing lags.
I have these screen protectors:
Tech Armor Apple New iPod Touch (5th / Latest Generation) HD Clear Screen Protector with Lifetime Replacement Warranty [3-Pack]
http://amzn.com/B008XV7VTG
From Apple Website:
Video formats supported: H.264 video up to 1080p, 30 frames per second, High Profile level 4.1 with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats; MPEG-4 video up to 2.5 Mbps, 640 by 480 pixels, 30 frames per second, Simple Profile with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps per channel, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats; Motion JPEG (M-JPEG) up to 35 Mbps, 1280 by 720 pixels, 30 frames per second, audio in ulaw, PCM stereo audio in .avi file format
nice :) but i would like to know what is this screen protector called.. when you turn off the screen, you can clearly see your reflection. hehe glass screen protector? lol.

too bad there's no mkv support. :(

No problem! I already have a screen protector on! ;) and whatever I knew of the iPod touch I learned it from this forums and on the internet! Haha.

Yes, they do kinda get yellowish of sort after a while and if that bothers you then you should stick with the slate and black, although I do have to say the other colors are really nice too! Don't worry the yellowish isn't bright, crazy yellow it just kinda you know how white tends to get really faded and yellow kind of yellow? Haha.
Yep. It really bothers me. im a little OCD when it comes to my things, haha.
so.. are you using a case in your ipod touch? ^^ i wanna see if you have..

Zmanbaseball2

macrumors 68040
Aug 24, 2012
New York, USA

nice :) but i would like to know what is this screen protector called.. when you turn off the screen, you can clearly see your reflection. hehe glass screen protector? lol.

The Tech Armor screen protects which are clear and show reflections do not turn yellow over time plus you get a lifetime replacement warranty. Do you want a glass screen protector?
This is my cases:
rooCASE Fuse (Frost / Orange) Snap-On Shell Case for Apple iPod Touch 5 (5th Generation Sept 2012)
http://amzn.com/B00AEEDLGC
Here is my review for it with a video on amazon.
http://www.amazon.com/review/R1HQTZ7RJB9UW8/ref=cm_cr_rdp_perm
Just ordered this one today:
eForCity Clip-on Crystal Case for Apple iPod Touch 5G, Clear Rear
http://amzn.com/B009OAZW28

Beeplance

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012

Get the VLC player app. I think it can support MKV format.

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 31, 2013
The Tech Armor screen protects which are clear and show reflections do not turn yellow over time plus you get a lifetime replacement warranty. Do you want a glass screen protector?
This is my cases:
rooCASE Fuse (Frost / Orange) Snap-On Shell Case for Apple iPod Touch 5 (5th Generation Sept 2012)
http://amzn.com/B00AEEDLGC
Here is my review for it with a video on amazon.
http://www.amazon.com/review/R1HQTZ7RJB9UW8/ref=cm_cr_rdp_perm
Just ordered this one today:
eForCity Clip-on Crystal Case for Apple iPod Touch 5G, Clear Rear
http://amzn.com/B009OAZW28

wow. the cases you recommended me is awesome O_O
i was looking a while ago for some cases, but this is so cool.

any other cases you wanna share? hehe

Ffosse

macrumors 68000
Nov 5, 2012
I bought the Slate coloured 5th Gen. 32Gb when it came out last October/November.

After a couple months I decided it just wasn't big enough for all the music I wanted to store, so I then bought the 64Gb version in White & Silver and sold the 32. But I could have saved some money by just buying the 64Gb to begin with.

2013-01-13+16.07.46.jpg

2013-03-23+15.47.15.jpg

defunct32

macrumors regular
Jul 19, 2013

Try VLC player they have avi, mkv, mp4 and support almost everything but to be honest I am still figuring how to get it to properly work. I think the screen protector you want is just called clear screen protector, mine is called the matte protector there's no fingerprints whatsoever which is nice and nope I don't have any casing I just have a screen protector on!

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 31, 2013
I bought the Slate coloured 5th Gen. 32Gb when it came out last October/November.

After a couple months I decided it just wasn't big enough for all the music I wanted to store, so I then bought the 64Gb version in White & Silver and sold the 32. But I could have saved some money by just buying the 64Gb to begin with.

seeing the two of them together.. i dont know what color should i get. really. hahaha
well, i'll just choose on a whim. choosing is so hard! haha

see! thats what i told at the sales lady at the store when i ask if they have 64GB. she said.. "i dont think you can fill all of that. 32 is more than enough." my answer. "Oh I can. I almost fill 2TB of memory on my computer and wasn't enough.

Zmanbaseball2

macrumors 68040
Aug 24, 2012
New York, USA
[/I]
seeing the two of them together.. i dont know what color should i get. really. hahaha
well, i'll just choose on a whim. choosing is so hard! haha

see! thats what i told at the sales lady at the store when i ask if they have 64GB. she said.. "i dont think you can fill all of that. 32 is more than enough." my answer. "Oh I can. I almost fill 2TB of memory on my computer and wasn't enough.

First find a case you like then choose the color iPod touch that fits with it. Or get the color you like the best and get a clear case like the one I posted above.

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 31, 2013
First find a case you like then choose the color iPod touch that fits with it. Or get the color you like the best and get a clear case like the one I posted above. Get the 32gb one. If it is not enough return it within 14 days and get the 64gb one.

all the cases i took interest in.. they all look good in white. haha!
but im afraid at the "yellowish" thing that will happen =))

..and, really? I can return it within 14 days? nice!

I think you should get the 64 gb :D

nice username btw. :D yep, i am sure i'll get 64GB now ;)
just not sure about the color.. hehe

raccoonboy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2012
Never really filled up my 8GB iphone or my 16GB Ipad.

If you carefully chose your apps/music or video then 32GB is plenty. At the price of 64GB, practicallly a brand new notebook 750GB price, i wouldnt invest but its your money. However, u might want to wait a bit since Ipod touch naturally debut with Iphone and new Iphone is next week coming. There might be a price cut on Ipod or a 128GB.

Zmanbaseball2

macrumors 68040
Aug 24, 2012
New York, USA
Never really filled up my 8GB iphone or my 16GB Ipad.

If you carefully chose your apps/music or video then 32GB is plenty. At the price of 64GB, practicallly a brand new notebook 750GB price, i wouldnt invest but its your money. However, u might want to wait a bit since Ipod touch naturally debut with Iphone and new Iphone is next week coming. There might be a price cut on Ipod or a 128GB.

Yes definitely wait for the next apple announcements. Then see what your options are then.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.