Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

adam044

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 24, 2012
Boston
So I started using Google maps as Apples maps have steered me wrong twice in less than a week now. Few question.

First I notice you have to have the app physically open in order for it to guide you. It doesn't show up on the lock screen like apple maps and it doesn't give you banner notifications for up coming turns like apple maps. Is this how it's suppose to be or is something not working right? Having the screen on for a 40+ minute ride with gps really kills battery. With Apple maps I was able to lock the screen and it would still navigate and speak to me.

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
Guess that's Apple way of saying: Use OUR stuff.

Short term solution: U got a power source nearby.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
It should be giving you banners. Mine does, I'll try to post a screen shot in a bit.

----------

Here you go. Screen was off and this notification popped up and it said "Turn right"

tubeha4u.jpg

Screen on but on the home screen.

e2ahu3y5.jpg

Works just fine.

adam044

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 24, 2012
Boston
I'm running the latest version of iOS 7. Wonder if that is the cause. I will try uninstalling it. Thanks.

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
I'm running the latest version of iOS 7. Wonder if that is the cause. I will try uninstalling it. Thanks.

Works fine in ios7 you just need to make sure notifications is on. The app runs in the background till you either complete the route or end the route manually. Until that point it'll keep giving you directions.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.