Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ezy17

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 31, 2013
Time to get a new computer but which one? I am going to get a iMac or Mac Mini but I couldn't decide which one. Here a few of the things I will be doing:

1. I'm trying to start a Minecraft Youtube channel and was going to record with Screenflow or another program. Also, I would be editing the video. Still uncertain if I am going to do it.

2. I also would be using it about everyday for browsing the web. Occasionally I might do a school project or two.

Money is an issue. I'm not going to be spending $2,000. My price range is from $600 to $1,800. I have a monitor, keyboard, and mouse but I was starting to think about the iMac because of the performance. I hope to find the best one for the job. Thanks!

Mr. Dee

macrumors 603
Dec 4, 2003
Jamaica
I am getting the iMac because everytime I think about getting the Mac Mini, it involves too much trade offs.

- Keyboard, Mouse and Monitor.

In addition to that, the Mini is using mobile processors which is not as powerful as the desktop processors used by the iMac.

At the same time, the Mini is more upgradable, you can upgrade both memory and storage. The only iMac that provides upgrade options you can do yourself is the 27 inch model and those just memory. Also, you are restricted by the fact that if the monitor or an internal component dies, you have to take it back to Apple.

WheelsOnDown

macrumors newbie
Aug 31, 2013
I thought the same thing. I had a MacBook Pro with a Thunderbolt Display attached. I already had the monitor and keyboard because near the end I was just using the MacBook as a desktop computer. If you need the speed and performance get the iMac, but if you can do without and you need to save money get the Mac Mini.

Micky Do

macrumors 68020
Aug 31, 2012
a South Pacific island
Early Minis were quite compromised in terms of technology and performance. They seemed almost a generation behind. However since 2009, the Mini technology has been up there with the rest, and only slightly slower in performance. For general day to day use I doubt that there would really be anything in it, though if pushed the Mini may be found wanting a little by comparison..

If budget is a limiting factor, and you have the required peripherals, a Mini with specs to suit your needs would be the way to go. You'll have a modular system, in which you can update or upgrade the components as your needs change and funds allow...... heck, if power becomes the main criteria you can toss out the Mini and plug in a Pro.

If you can spring for an iMac, you'll get something that looks good, and is able to perform a little better, if pushed..... and you'll get the bragging rights till the next generation comes along. However, when the time comes for an upgrade or update (as it will) you'll have to stump up for a whole new system.

In the end, you know your situation, and needs; the choice is yours.

http://www.apple.com/why-mac/compare/

Last edited:

Moonjumper

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2009
Lincoln, UK
Some of the money you save on a Mac Mini can go towards adding RAM and SSD (adding RAM is easy, SSD doable). That will close the performance gap a lot.

fig

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2012
Austin, TX
I am getting the iMac because everytime I think about getting the Mac Mini, it involves too much trade offs.

I don't quite follow this. You can get the exact same keyboard and mouse for the Mini, you do lose the integrated display but you also don't have to replace the entire unit if you decide to upgrade (which I realize you mentioned).

I was facing this same choice several months ago and went with a Mini. I upgraded to the dual i7 and Fusion drive and I have zero complaints with this machine, I do design and development as well as some 3d work and it's rock solid and very quick.

You do have to spend a lot if you want an Apple display or something super high quality, but you can also keep that and just upgrade the Mini itself in a year or two. There's also a lot of less expensive displays out there that are very high quality, I'm currently running dual 24" displays that I'm very happy with.

My plan is to keep the Mini for a year or two until a model comes out that looks like a significant speed increase, then I'll sell it and upgrade to a new unit while keeping the displays and everything else.

Serban

Suspended
Jan 8, 2013
i got the iMac because is all in one with just 1 cable. In the past i had 2xpower cable for the monitor and base, 1 cable for the monitor to the base, 2xcable for keyboard and mouse, and 1cable for the speakers.

WIth 1800$ you can get the high end 21.5" with 1T Fusion drive or 16G Ram

Serban

Suspended
Jan 8, 2013
or if you can go ...base 27" iMac. I think is nice to have space. But please wait for haswell refresh maybe they fix the 27 panels

cirus

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2011

In addition to that, the Mini is using mobile processors which is not as powerful as the desktop processors used by the iMac.

At the same time, the Mini is more upgradable, you can upgrade both memory and storage. The only iMac that provides upgrade options you can do yourself is the 27 inch model and those just memory. Also, you are restricted by the fact that if the monitor or an internal component dies, you have to take it back to Apple.

Where on earth do you get this? You realize that a mobile i7 quad is as powerful (or even slightly more so) than a desktop i5-3570 in multithreaded performance and only slightly behind in singlethread let alone the low power versions that imac uses.

http://browser.primatelabs.com/mac-benchmarks

imac 27" (i7-3770) - 12800
imac 21.5" (i7-3770S) - 12300
mac mini (3720QM) - 11600
mac mini (3615QM) - 10700

imac 27" (3470) - 9466
imac 21.5" (3470S) - 9100
imac 21.5" (3335S) - 8200

Clearly for tasks such as video editing the minis fall right between the i5 imacs and the i7 imacs. If apple allowed better turbo and thermals the mini would be virtually identical to the imacs.

ATC

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2008
Canada
FWIW I was a huge iMac fan, love everything about them and still have one that's running great, except it's had its display replaced twice due to heat issues.

For me personally, I'm definitely getting either the next mac mini or a base model new Mac Pro this fall. After owning a number of iMacs I'm finally seeing the merits of having a separate display.

Not only from a reliability POV but also the flexibility that comes from being able to pick and choose the size and specs in a display to suit your exact needs is a huge plus. If the rumours are true that we might see an update to Apple's TBD, possibly a larger (28-30") 4K monitor to go along the new MP it would be awesome. Of course there are tons of other great choices out there to suit my needs. That's the advantage of having separate components, I'm no longer confined to whatever choice(s) someone thinks is suitable for me.

ioannis2005gr

macrumors 6502
Aug 10, 2013
Europe
In my opinion, 2012 27'' iMac with i7 processor, 8GB RAM (later put some more) & 680MX graphics is a real beast of power! The only problem (sometimes) is the poor quality control in China because this LG panel appears many IR, light bleeding etc problems and they should have removed the defective panels in the industry level...anyway... the cost is high for your pocket...

BUT...if you decide to buy (after a couple of months) the new Mac mini (i7 Haswell+IRIS PRO graphics, 4GB RAM, (PCIe?) SSD, Wi-FI ac + APPLE CARE 3y warranty) with a nice IPS 23-27'' monitor, you will gain the MAX perfomance with the lowest possible cost....maybe around your pocket size....;)

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.