Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Original poster
Feb 4, 2008
What i mean is what are the chances of an iPhone that works on multiple networks? The iPhone 4S was really great because you could buy the same hardware model unlocked and use it on AT&T, Verizon or Sprint since it had the necessary radios for all.

I know the iPhone 5 had to break this up to support LTE, so I'm wondering if LTE radios have improved to the point where at least I could buy an unlocked one and switch between AT&T and Verizon (namely the prepaid Aio-like services) if I chose. Otherwise the portability isn't worth much if I'm stuck on just AT&T or Verizon. I'd like to try out Aio, but I'm still worried about how bad my AT&T 3G signal was out here.

adam044

macrumors 65816
Jan 24, 2012
Boston
Doubtful. LTE isn't even available in all areas yet so I wouldn't think they've improved to support this.

user-name-here

macrumors 65816
Aug 31, 2013
What i mean is what are the chances of an iPhone that works on multiple networks?

None.

Why would Apple make it so you could just buy one phone and use it later at any carrier, instead of having to buy a brand new one from them every time you want to switch carriers for another cool $650?

macs4nw

macrumors 601
None.
Why would Apple make it so you could just buy one phone and use it later at any carrier, instead of having to buy a brand new one from them every time you want to switch carriers for another cool $650?

You're blaming the wrong party. It was the carriers who insisted the phones be locked to their networks, to deter people from simply switching providers, without having to shell out for another handset.

When Apple first suggested introducing unlocked handsets with Sim cards, that could work on all GSM networks, the carriers initially threatened withholding subsidies.

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Original poster
Feb 4, 2008
None.

As I said above Apple did that with the iPhone 4S. I figure it would be quite the selling point for Apple. I'm sure carriers want nothing to do with it so they can keep their hooks on you.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Smart phone manufacturers strive for this. This would significantly cut production cost. Nexus 4 is a prime example albeit lacking LTE.

However it would still be carrier locked so there wouldn't be too much difference in how it is now.

I don't really keep up on this tech but I don't think such a radio exist to cover all bands/networks. So I don't think we'll see a single model iPhone for quite a while.

blerns3

macrumors 6502
Oct 2, 2012
As most everyone said, can't work with LTE.

Also, it would tense Apple's relationships with carries as they want to keep you as a customer and their contract with Apple outlines certain things like this that Apple must do in a product to help the carries do so.

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
Is a carriers' conspiracy. They know without them, you got a doorstop, so they make their rules.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.