Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LeandrodaFL

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 6, 2011
Hello all. I just pruchased a brand new MacMini 2012 with Mountain Lion. I want to install a SSD and fusion with the 1TB HDD. I got the 500GB Samsung 840.

I installed the SSD to the 2nd bay using OWC kit, and kept the original 1TB HDD in the original connector. However, disk utility is not seeing the SSD. QUESTIONS ARE:

1) How do I format the SSD or make it appear in Disk utility? Is there any application I can use? Its probably in a NTFS format, but nothing is appearing for me in dik utiliyt.

2) Now we are at it, do I need to put the SSD in the primary connecter in order to fusion it? I could swap the sata connectors.

Nov 28, 2010
located
Even if the SSD would be already formatted, normally new bare drives come unformatted when bought new, it would show up in Disk Utility, thus either a connection is loose (check or put the SSD into a USB enclosure) or it may be DOA.

LeandrodaFL

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 6, 2011
I will check the SSD in my PC, but can anyone tell me if in order to fusion the drives SSD + HDD, does the SSD has to be in the primary connector?

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
I installed the SSD to the 2nd bay using OWC kit, and kept the original 1TB HDD in the original connector. However, disk utility is not seeing the SSD.

Most likely you either didn't properly seat the SATA cable on the board correctly, or you did seat it and it popped out when you reassembled the computer.

LeandrodaFL

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 6, 2011
Even if the SSD would be already formatted, normally new bare drives come unformatted when bought new, it would show up in Disk Utility, thus either a connection is loose (check or put the SSD into a USB enclosure) or it may be DOA.

Most likely you either didn't properly seat the SATA cable on the board correctly, or you did seat it and it popped out when you reassembled the computer.

OH, just the tought of having to disassemble everything again............

Attachments

• Screen shot 2013-09-01 at 10.26.42 PM.png
    Screen shot 2013-09-01 at 10.26.42 PM.png
    128.4 KB · Views: 107

LeandrodaFL

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 6, 2011
Problem solved

Sata cable was loose, probably disconected itself from the motherboard when I plug-ing the aiport antenna. Wverything working fine

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.