Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MathBunny123

macrumors regular
Original poster
Hello. I currently have a 11 year old computer running Windows XP, and I want to take all of the applications from it along with the operating system and place them onto a virtual machine on another new iMac.

Is that possible? The reason is because I have software like AutoCAD which I no longer own the disks for.

Thanks in advance!

pdjudd

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2007
Plymouth, MN
I believe that both VMware and Parallels offers products and services that offer that functionality for their respective products. You should check out their websites for more information.

iThinksimple

macrumors member
Sep 24, 2012
Hello. I currently have a 11 year old computer running Windows XP, and I want to take all of the applications from it along with the operating system and place them onto a virtual machine on another new iMac.

Is that possible? The reason is because I have software like AutoCAD which I no longer own the disks for.

Thanks in advance!

i'm not sure, because the character of Windows OS is not like Mac OS X,
from my experience on the past you can't move Windows OS to another machine, unless the machine ( motherboard ) is similar with the previous machine that you've installed Windows OS,
i don't know why, i always failed or it's only my bad :(

there was popular method called 'Ghost' to move a whole of Windows OS to another machine, but it's not recommended, if you use Windows OS for serious or daily uses,

pdjudd

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2007
Plymouth, MN
i'm not sure, because the character of Windows OS is not like Mac OS X,
from my experience on the past you can't move Windows OS to another machine, unless the machine ( motherboard ) is similar with the previous machine that you've installed Windows OS,
i don't know why, i always failed or it's only my bad :(

The person is asking to create a VM image based on a physical machine. This is defiantly possible and what you are stating is not related to what they are asking. It has nothing to do with motherboards or "character" whatever that means.

Just for example - VMware fusion advertises exactly what the OP needs - it's done entirely through software.

MathBunny123

macrumors regular
Original poster
The person is asking to create a VM image based on a physical machine. This is defiantly possible and what you are stating is not related to what they are asking. It has nothing to do with motherboards or "character" whatever that means.

Just for example - VMware fusion advertises exactly what the OP needs - it's done entirely through software.

Yeah, thanks. :)

iThinksimple

macrumors member
Sep 24, 2012

sorry it's my bad, thanks for correcting me,

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.