Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sdahe

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 26, 2007
San Juan, PR
Hello,

I've been looking around the Internet about this and haven't found what I'm looking for. I was in vacations this past week in an island where I didn't have any cell service from att so I place the phone in airplane mode. My wife was using the phone and I saw she was listening to a song. I was surprise about it because I didn't sync any music with iTunes but there were 4 songs in the iphone. Now when I connect the phone to itunes I don't see where can I delete those songs from the phone. Can somebody explain to me how this happened... thanks

iphonehype

macrumors 65816
Sep 14, 2012
Hello,

I've been looking around the Internet about this and haven't found what I'm looking for. I was in vacations this past week in an island where I didn't have any cell service from att so I place the phone in airplane mode. My wife was using the phone and I saw she was listening to a song. I was surprise about it because I didn't sync any music with iTunes but there were 4 songs in the iphone. Now when I connect the phone to itunes I don't see where can I delete those songs from the phone. Can somebody explain to me how this happened... thanks

Do you have iTunes Match? That could be the reason why music was on your iPhone without you syncing anything!

macrumors 68040
Dec 16, 2011
Hello,

Is "show all music" on in the Music settings? It's probably a song you bought that's in iCloud.

Sdahe

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 26, 2007
San Juan, PR
Do you have iTunes Match? That could be the reason why music was on your iPhone without you syncing anything!
Yes but how the music download to the iphone while in airplane mode?...

Is "show all music" on in the Music settings? It's probably a song you bought that's in iCloud.
Yes.. I have that setting on... but how the music download to the iphone while in airplane mode?...

iphonehype

macrumors 65816
Sep 14, 2012
Could be because wifi was on? Also the music might of downloaded to then local storage if your wife selected this option!

Sdahe

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 26, 2007
San Juan, PR
Could be because wifi was on? Also the music might of downloaded to then local storage if your wife selected this option!
There was no wifi where we were...

The thing is how can I delete the downloaded music from the iphone

dcp10

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2010
There was no wifi where we were...

The thing is how can I delete the downloaded music from the iphone

Left swipe the track then tap delete. The iCloud download icon should then appear confirming that's it is no longer on the phone.

Sdahe

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 26, 2007
San Juan, PR
Can you provide a screenshot? Does the song play properly?

Here are some screenshots and yes.. the songs play good. Just can't delete them

IMG_0192.PNG IMG_0193.PNG

dcp10

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2010
Do you have match? If so I think it has to be turned off in order to delete.

iphonehype

macrumors 65816
Sep 14, 2012
No I don't

Have you ever purchased music from another device* using iTunes?

If so you may have automatic downloads enabled (default option) which has then pushed that song to your iPhone.

At the end of the day music will not magically appear but then again its :apple:

Last edited:

Sdahe

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 26, 2007
San Juan, PR
Have you ever purchased music from another using iTunes?

If so you may have automatic downloads enabled (default option) which has then pushed that song to your iPhone.

At the end of the day music will not magically appear but then again its :apple:

Thanks... I'll check on that.

dcp10

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2010
Last gasp here , have you tried a hard reset, i.e. hold sleep/wake and home buttons at the same time until the apple logo appears

AppleDeviceUser

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2012
Canada
Here are some screenshots and yes.. the songs play good. Just can't delete them

View attachment 431015 View attachment 431016
Cool Avenged Sevenfold, my best friend is friends with them
EDIT: Oh and to delete it you can either swipe the song and press delete (Note you can only swipe it in album view) or you can go to Settings > Usage > Music > Delete (If you want to remove all music from the iPhone.

Sdahe

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 26, 2007
San Juan, PR
Ok here is another screenshot of the situation...

In this screenshot I have the airplane mode OFF.. and I get a cloud icon next to the songs

screen-1.jpg

In this other screenshot I have the airplane mode ON and you can see the song I was listening but no cloud icon next to it and when I swipe it to the left or right I don't get the delete option.

screen-2.jpg

The question is... how can I delete this songs from the iphone?

morphineseason

macrumors 6502
Apr 1, 2007
Ok here is another screenshot of the situation...

In this screenshot I have the airplane mode OFF.. and I get a cloud icon next to the songs

View attachment 431387

In this other screenshot I have the airplane mode ON and you can see the song I was listening but no cloud icon next to it and when I swipe it to the left or right I don't get the delete option.

View attachment 431388

The question is... how can I delete this songs from the iphone?

Swipe the song title to the left and you'll get a delete button. I just tried it on my phone running the latest beta.

benji888

macrumors 68000
Sep 27, 2006
United States
It is clear, from that screenshot w/icloud icons showing, you have to change this setting:

Settings>iTunes & App Store> then under "show all" turn off "Music".

Those songs are not on your device, they are on some other device that uses that icloud account. That icon is there in case you want to download the song to your iphone, so, it's not actually on it, that's why you can't delete it.

You can play songs from your iPad, iPod, Mac or any other device that has that icloud account. It does not require iTunes Match, that's a separate feature that stores your music in iCloud.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.