Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

karsten

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 3, 2010
It seems to happen every time I watch netflix on the atv2, like 10 or 20 min. into the movie the sound will drop out and i have to pause and re-buffer the movie to get it going again. it's using HDMI to the tv for sound and video. it's happened on two different TVs so that's probably not the issue. any ideas? thanks

s15119

macrumors 68000
Nov 20, 2010
No solution, just to confirm we get the same sound drop for no apparent reason, usually re-wind 2 seconds fixes, but it is annoying

RWinOR

macrumors 6502
I have a simular issue. I have been thinking it was bandwidth on Comcast. Mine is about 1 hour into a movie. Voice drops for about 5-10 seconds then continues. It does not do it all the time but often enough that it is an annoyance. Has anyone contacted Apple support on this yet? What is their solution? I will call this evening after work.

spice weasel

macrumors 65816
Jul 25, 2003
I have a simular issue. I have been thinking it was bandwidth on Comcast. Mine is about 1 hour into a movie. Voice drops for about 5-10 seconds then continues. It does not do it all the time but often enough that it is an annoyance. Has anyone contacted Apple support on this yet? What is their solution? I will call this evening after work.

Let us know what they say. I don't think it is a bandwidth issue, because I have Comcast broadband as well and never have any problems with Netflix streaming on my PS3. It's only on my ATV2 that I experience problems. Sound drop-outs, freezing, and one time a refusal to play any Netflix movies that could only be resolved with a restore.

The ATV2 is a great little device, but it has proven to be the buggiest piece of Apple hardware I've ever owned.

sanderf

macrumors newbie
Jul 17, 2007
Pacific NW
No issues with netflix

I have not experienced this. Did have issues with dropped network connection until the software update. Everyone have latest software?

JPGR_Fan

macrumors regular
Apr 5, 2003
St. Louis
Just to add on, I have noticed a similar dropping of sound on ATV2 on Netflix streaming, which I prefer to use vs. my PS3. Therein, however, as noted above, is the current solution. OTOH, I wasn't that upset last night when I missed some of Jack Nicholson's nasally accent in "Going South".

djmodifyd

macrumors regular
Apr 3, 2008
mine does this as well. not all the time, but everyonce in a while audio will drop for 10 seconds or less, then back to normal.

Not a bandwidth issue, i have 40mbps down/5mbps up speed and ATV is connected via ethernet to airport extreme.

I think its a netflix issue

dmrowley

macrumors 6502
Aug 4, 2010
Dortches, NC
Biggest issue I get with audio is what I call the "Cylon" effect. Nothing cures it but an unplug/re-plug of the ATV2....Happens in Netflix, but also when streaming audio from my Mac, and using the Radio Station feature. Makes me think it is an issue with my Airport Extreme....

rkuo

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2010
Are you folks seeing this on particular movies? Does it happen at exactly 10 min in?

Moyank24

macrumors 601
Aug 31, 2009
in a New York State of mind

I've experienced the same problem. Not with every movie I've watched on Netflix, but it's definitely happened more than once. I normally pause and then rewind and all is fine again. It only happens once during the playback, and it's always about an hour into the movie. I also have comcast...but it never happens while I'm watching a video that is from iTunes, so I can't imagine it's a comcast issue.

karsten

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 3, 2010
Are you folks seeing this on particular movies? Does it happen at exactly 10 min in?

tbe odd thing its always only on the first movie i watch that day. usually like 10-20 minutes in, then the movies after that are fine. same will repeat next time i watch. its like its a buffer issue or a cold boot issue or something idk

RWinOR

macrumors 6502
Have a fix for this

I spoke with Apple tech support this morning.

They had me do a complete restore which downloaded an update. I checked for updates last night and everything was current. According to the tech some units do not see this update. The restore function forces the update. I setup my network, home sharing, and netflix again. I just finished watching a movie on Netflix and I am happy to report no audio drops.

Good Luck to all who try this.

Teddi

macrumors newbie
Aug 28, 2013

They had me do a complete restore which downloaded an update. I checked for updates last night and everything was current. According to the tech some units do not see this update. The restore function forces the update. I setup my network, home sharing, and netflix again. I just finished watching a movie on Netflix and I am happy to report no audio drops.

Some Netflix TV shows and movies on my ATV have absolutely no sound and some do. Have called Nextflix numerous times but have not received a solution. Has anyone experienced this? Any suggestions?

steve-p

macrumors 68000
Oct 14, 2008
Newbury, UK
Some Netflix TV shows and movies on my ATV have absolutely no sound and some do. Have called Nextflix numerous times but have not received a solution. Has anyone experienced this? Any suggestions?

One scenario which can cause that is if you have ATV set to output 5.1 sound but your TV (or receiver) doesn't know how to decode it. Some titles have Dolby Digital, some don't, so some would be silent and others would work. In that scenario turning off surround in ATV audio settings would sort it out. Other than that, no idea, as it works fine for me.

2010mini

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2013

what version were you on before you restored your ATV?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.