Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bradl

macrumors 603
Jun 16, 2008
is it ? can i use onlibe banking with no worries ?

cheers:cool:

Only as safe as a web browser with SSL capability, as that's what you'll be using anyway. Why should it be any different?

BL.

aosman

macrumors 6502
Jan 19, 2008
I would say yes: it runs on the same secured connection as the one on your computer. So my guess is that it would be just as safe as accessing Online Banking from your computer. Thoughts?

snook911

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2007
Yorba Linda, CA
I would say yes: it runs on the same secured connection as the one on your computer. So my guess is that it would be just as safe as accessing Online Banking from your computer. Thoughts?

Well I have been using it for my online banking since august of 07 and I have had any problems. I just log into the regular web site (not the mobile one) and its been fine so far.

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
If you see this on the address bar, then you're in good shape:

padlock.png

BLACK MAC

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2007
Also for more security, make sure you use a closed wi-fi network so others can't get one. Such as one you have at home.

showtime

macrumors 6502
May 10, 2007
out of curiosity, do any of you guys shop on your iphone? Would having to enter you credit card information on an iphone be just as safe as your computer?

gentlegiantcrai

macrumors regular
Sep 25, 2007
out of curiosity, do any of you guys shop on your iphone? Would having to enter you credit card information on an iphone be just as safe as your computer?

I do. I use Amazon's page built for iphone, however, I have me information stored on my Amazon account, and just sign in on the iphone, and purchase stuff.

bradl

macrumors 603
Jun 16, 2008

Once again, if you're using WiFi, it's the same as using a laptop. Think of your iPhone like that. web browser, secure site, secured transaction. If it isn't, or you don't think or feel it's secure enough for you, don't.

Otherwise, you should be fine.

BL.

zaccolbert

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2011
I stay extra safe by using my prepaid debit card, it comes with purchase protection like with a normal credit card, but i don't owe the bank anthing (unlike with a cc) also, because it only has money on it that i put there, i can limit the amount of funds so if something were to happen to my details there wouldn't be much money on there for fraudsters to spend. Other than that and sticking to secure browsing i don't think there's much else you can do is there?

The Californian

macrumors 68040
Jan 17, 2009
Surfers Paradise
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

Yes.

roxxette

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2011
Im in DR but i use the US app store and i have seen several Bank apps such as bank of america etc , i will say they should have some sort of security using those i guess ? Why not call your bank and ask about it.

Quotenfrau

macrumors 6502
Mar 6, 2011

No. It's better to use your web browser on OS X.

Because mobile apps mostly have security vulnerabilities and it's less well-proven than traditional desktop. Mobile app development is something new for the pros, so there are more vulnerabilities.

One example:

A number of wireless banking applications for iPhone and Android phone users contain privacy and security flaws that cause the phones to store sensitive information in cleartext that could be gleaned by hackers, according to a report.

The applications distributed by such top banks and financial institutions as Wells Fargo and Bank of America placed various types of information at varying degrees of risk. But at least one Android application, distributed by Wells Fargo, stored an account holder’s user name and password on the phone in cleartext.

source: http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2010/11/bank-apps-for-phones

data loss and privacy violation is a bigger problem on iOS than OS X.

AdityaSinha

macrumors newbie
Aug 23, 2013

cheers:cool:
I am using HDFC’s iOS banking app. I use it for transferring funds and also paying my utility bills. Till now I haven't faced any problem and I think it is as secure as any online banking.

dictoresno

macrumors 601
Apr 30, 2012
NJ
I am using HDFC’s iOS banking app. I use it for transferring funds and also paying my utility bills. Till now I haven't faced any problem and I think it is as secure as any online banking.

are you going to bump every 2 year old iphone banking thread this morning?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.