Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

turtlebud

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 17, 2002
My iPhone 5 is not quite 1 year old yet and I've been noticing that battery loss. Went into the apple store to have them check out my iphone and they said i'm almost at 400 charge cycles. At about 600, I can expect the battery drop into the red zone (I assume that means 50% or less capacity).

I plan to sell/trade in my iphone 5 and get a 5s (most likely). There's the ebay/craigslist route where I can probably get $400-450 or the gazelle/nextworth route where I can get $315.

While I would like to get top dollar for it, I don't feel quite right about selling it to someone on ebay, only to have it substantially lose charge after 6 months or so. Am I just crazy for thinking that way or should I not care?

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
My iPhone 5 is not quite 1 year old yet and I've been noticing that battery loss. Went into the apple store to have them check out my iphone and they said i'm almost at 400 charge cycles. At about 600, I can expect the battery drop into the red zone (I assume that means 50% or less capacity).

I plan to sell/trade in my iphone 5 and get a 5s (most likely). There's the ebay/craigslist route where I can probably get $400-450 or the gazelle/nextworth route where I can get $315.

While I would like to get top dollar for it, I don't feel quite right about selling it to someone on ebay, only to have it substantially lose charge after 6 months or so. Am I just crazy for thinking that way or should I not care?

Sell it as used with its age. A buyer therefore should then know to not expect a new battery.

Vetvito

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2012
eBay will get you this:
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1378098105.524762.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1378098138.649922.jpg

Smh. eBay needs to work on this.

CEmajr

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Charlotte, NC
eBay will get you this:
View attachment 431040

View attachment 431041

Smh. eBay needs to work on this.

Easy fix

1. Buy it Now with 'immediate payment required'
This forces anyone who tries to purchase the phone to pay immediately after clicking Buy it Now

or if you just HAVE to do an auction

2. Buyer requirements 'block buyers without a Paypal account'
99% of those 0 feedback accounts that mess up the auctions don't have Paypal accounts attached to them so this will prevent them from even bidding on the item.

OP I would totally sell the phone on eBay. You get the highest return. I've always sold my old iPhones on eBay and gotten more than Gazelle or any other place would offer.

zedzded

macrumors regular
Aug 28, 2013
Perth, Australia
You don't know who you're selling it to, it could be a broke teenager who has spent months saving for it or perhaps a parent has bought it as a birthday present for their kid. So personally I wouldn't sell it privately to an individual. I'd feel bad. Maybe take a hit and trade it in, lose out on a few $$ but gain that back with some karma credits :)

CrAkD

macrumors 68040
Feb 15, 2010
Boston, MA
is there a way we can check our own charge cycles? I use a mophie every day so I bet mine are pretty high.....I will be selling mine as well.

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
is there a way we can check our own charge cycles? I use a mophie every day so I bet mine are pretty high.....I will be selling mine as well.

iBackupBot shows charge cycles under "more information".

JoshGlzBrk

macrumors 6502a
Aug 27, 2009
For top dollar it's almost always eBay or Craigslist. I got $495 for my 16GB iPhone 5 back in July on eBay without any issues.

sulpfiction

macrumors 68040
Aug 16, 2011
Philadelphia Area
Can I ask why not?

eBay is like going into the ghetto of a big city, at night, and waving ur phone around trying to sell it...you're gonna get beat up and robbed.

Sell it on CL. I've sold every phone there and have never had a single issue. I meet the buyer (in a well lit public place), he hands me cash, I hand him the phone. He tries it out, I count money. Then when were both satisfied we shake hands and go our separate ways. Works beautifully. And no expensive fees.

adam044

macrumors 65816
Jan 24, 2012
Boston
sell it on craigslist for cash only. Simple and to the point.

+1

----------

Can I ask why not?

Sure. There's threads all over this forums about people selling their iPhone on EBay and being totally screwed over. 1, as you saw in a screenshot for earlier someone raised the price to $900 simply because they can they clearly aren't going to pay $900 for an iPhone 5. The biggest problem is when the phone comes to the buyer a lot of times the buyer will say oh the box was empty or the phone was broken and file a claim with eBay. eBay usually will take the side of the buyer there's really nothing you can do and you just lost a $400-$500 device. I never sell high priced items on eBay because it's very easy to get scammed even if the person has good feedback

----------

eBay is like going into the ghetto of a big city, at night, and waving ur phone around trying to sell it...you're gonna get beat up and robbed.

Sell it on CL. I've sold every phone there and have never had a single issue. I meet the buyer (in a well lit public place), he hands me cash, I hand him the phone. He tries it out, I count money. Then when were both satisfied we shake hands and go our separate ways. Works beautifully. And no expensive fees.

Well said

noisycats

macrumors 6502a
Jun 1, 2010
The 'ham. Alabama.
You've done nothing wrong and the iPhone is a used device. Be honest about the age. There should be no guilt unless you are hiding damage or malfunctioning.

blerns3

macrumors 6502
Oct 2, 2012
You've done nothing wrong and the iPhone is a used device. Be honest about the age. There should be no guilt unless you are hiding damage or malfunctioning.

This. As long as you say everything you know about it, there's nothing wrong with it.

617aircav

Suspended
Jul 2, 2012

Gross hyperbole. EBay is the most popular and used online market place in the world. While there are instances that are negative, they are a tiny percentage. You can keep yourself safe be imposing conditions on your auctions that are less likely to attract dishonest bidders. Last year I sold over 30 phones on ebay, half of them iphones and had a problem with just one sale. The buyer had buyers remorse and wanted to return an iPhone 5 with bad esn. I won out in the end. EBay is good, just be careful. Do not ship abroad, track and insure, describe the item exactly as it is.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.