Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dimitris77

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 31, 2013
Hello folks,

I am just currently a PC user but I would like to move to the mac world. I am interested in a desktop mainly for my photography. I mainly use Lightroom 5 and Photoshop from time to time but not a lot since Lightroom introduced the brush. I wanted to check if anyone has any experience with Mac Pro and Nikon D800 files.

The Mac Pro I was considering is this. Is this going to be fast enough? If not I think I might just go for the new iMac.

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Apple/MB871LLA16S2/

Thanks!
Dimitris

dimitris77

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 31, 2013
Hmm seems to work for me. Its this machine from OWC

Apple Mac Pro
2.66GHz 4-Core Intel Xeon Processor
MB871LL/A (Early 2009)
Compatible with / Ready for Apple OS 10.9 Mavericks
Used | Very Good Condition
OWC Tested. Quality You Can Trust.
OWC individually inspects and fully tests every pre-owned computer to confirm full functionality and accurate grading. All refurbishments and/or upgrades are performed by our Apple Certified Technicians. That's why OWC is the most trusted name in Mac refurbishments.

System Configuration:
Memory: 16GB (4x4GB) PC8500 1066MHZ DDR3
Storage:
1.0TB 7200RPM HDD
240GB OWC Mercury EXTREME Pro 6G SSD
Optical Drive: 8X Dual-Layer SuperDrive
Networking:
Built-in Gigabit Ethernet 10/100/1000BT
Video:
NVIDIA GeForce GT 120
One Mini DisplayPort, One DVI Port
Pre-Loaded/Licensed Software:
Pre-loaded with Apple OS X 10.6.8 (Now supported by Apple for up to OS 10.9.x 'Mavericks')
Apple iLife

OS6-OSX

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2004
California
Last edited:

DPUser

macrumors 6502a
Jan 17, 2012
Rancho Bohemia, California
Hello folks,

I am just currently a PC user but I would like to move to the mac world. I am interested in a desktop mainly for my photography. I mainly use Lightroom 5 and Photoshop from time to time but not a lot since Lightroom introduced the brush. I wanted to check if anyone has any experience with Mac Pro and Nikon D800 files.

The Mac Pro I was considering is this. Is this going to be fast enough? If not I think I might just go for the new iMac.

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Apple/MB871LLA16S2/

Thanks!
Dimitris
This machine is a good choice from the upgradability/future compatibility perspective. I bought the same model (4,1) and upgraded to a 5,1 (EFI hack available from Netkas.org) and hex 3.33 gHz processor. Because this machine is physically very similar (virtually identical other than GPU, which is replaceable) to the current Mac Pros, it should have a long useable life ahead of it. Depending on your usage, you may find the iMac a better solution, but I have been enjoying the support the Mac Pro provides for storage and PCIe cards in my audio work.

dimitris77

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 31, 2013
This is the attraction to me as well. I can put a couple of drives in and enjoy backups for my photos in one box. I was just wondering if anyone had any experience with regards to the speed of this machine and Lightroom 5.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.