Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

appstate

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 3, 2013
Charlotte NC
Hello,

I have a mid 2011 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 27" iMac and will be upgrading to a new one, either this fall or in Spring 2014 (depending on the refresh).

Would it be possible to use the HDD in the 2011 iMac as a data drive? If so, would it be connected via thunderbolt or firewire?

Thanks!

Nov 28, 2010
located
It is possible, via Thunderbolt or Firewire 800 (via Thunderbolt <> Firewire 800 adapter) or USB 3.0.
The USB 3.0 option would be the cheapest and simplest, good enclosures for 3.5" HDDs can be had for around 30 to 40 €, Firewire 800 enclosures are a bit more expensive (70 € + 30 € for the adapter) and Thunderbolt enclosures are quite expensive, plus the TB cable costs another 50 €.

USB 3.0 is more than fast enough to saturate the HDD's read & write speeds.

appstate

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 3, 2013
Charlotte NC
Thanks simsaladimbamba!

I thought the mid 2011 mac is not USB 3.0 compatible? Since I'll be using it for a second display, I was hoping to also use the HDD as a second drive.

Nov 28, 2010
located
Thanks simsaladimbamba!

I thought the mid 2011 mac is not USB 3.0 compatible? Since I'll be using it for a second display, I was hoping to also use the HDD as a second drive.

But the iMac from 2012 and the possible iMac you buy (2013 or 2014 model) have USB 3.0, thus you could connect the HDD to that iMac via USB 3.0, but if you want to run the old iMac as second display, it needs some OS to boot from anyway, thus you could just let the HDD inside the iMac and leave it as it is and use it via network or if TB allows that, via that.

You could however do a CLEAN INSTALL of whatever OS you want on the old iMac on a smaller partition of the HDD (let's say 25 GB or so) and use the rest as data drive, no need for convoluted folders and such.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.