Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iMac or noMac

• Total voters

12vElectronics

macrumors 68040
Jul 19, 2013
California
Funny you bring this up OP.. same exact thing happened to me last year. I was eagerly waiting for the new iMac and it just took too long! I mean I still had the money and all, but I just lost interest!

dumastudetto

macrumors 603
Aug 28, 2013
Los Angeles, USA
Happy to see only 13.33% of people voting in this poll are considering making the worst mistake of their lives and moving away from Mac. Patience people. Apple still has the capacity to amaze and the new iMac will be a phenomenal product.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Not sure if you were being sarcastic, but if you'd like me to rephrase it more technically, then the iMac is updated every calender year.

By the way, you need to charge that iPhone ;)

I'm always being sarcastic! The point is, it could be months away from a refresh. I don't believe there will be much advantage from the current model to the next. Improved wifi (don't use it) and a slightly faster processor. I don't think most people will see a real benefit. That's why I would buy now.

Phone fully charged now!

steve119

macrumors 6502
Mar 2, 2012
Scotland, land of the haggis
I know how you feel, this time last year I had a macbookpro that was more than enough but I still pined for a new iMac. And patience was hard to keep but was so worth it. :)

However..... A les Paul has been known to keep its value very well over the years, more so than an iMac. ;)

It's a hard choice. I wish I had that choice again this year. :p

sinphase

macrumors newbie
May 27, 2013
They sometimes go down in price shortly before the new models are announced and sometimes it's shortly after. I wouldn't expect Apple to announce Mac updates at an iOS (may be iPhone only) announcement.

Also if you need the iMac for the start of school, I'd suggest you go an order a refurbished right away so it ships to you in time for school.

Yea, I think the 10 will be on iOS only event, but I'm trying to hold out til then to make sure I have as little regret as possible. The first week of uni is usually pretty chill and I have my trusty macbook pro in the mean time.

The only thing that concerns me, is if I can still get a hold of the refurb model I want after the 10.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
OP I'm in the same boat. I don't "need" an iMac so I'm patiently waiting for the next gen. I also plan on having to wait for the 27" model a few weeks/months after release.

I'm in no rush.

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States
OP I'm in the same boat. I don't "need" an iMac so I'm patiently waiting for the next gen. I also plan on having to wait for the 27" model a few weeks/months after release.

I'm in no rush.

You're not in the same boat as the OP. He/she wants the forthcoming iMac asap and is frustrated that it hasn't arrived yet. You don't even sound like you care one way or the other. Sarcastic post perhaps? ;)

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
You're not in the same boat as the OP. He/she wants the forthcoming iMac asap and is frustrated that it hasn't arrived yet. You don't even sound like you care one way or the other. Sarcastic post perhaps? ;)

I'm in the same boat waiting. I guess not the same boat about being frustrated it not here yet.

I'm expecting 6 more months. Kind of a worse case I think.

JustMartin

macrumors 6502a
Feb 28, 2012
UK

Actually, I think the OP just wanted to spend money asap. Whether he or she was going to spend it on an iMac they didn't need, seemed pretty moot to me.

topmounter

macrumors 68030
Jun 18, 2009
FEMA Region VIII
More than anything I'm waiting on the iMac Pro pricing, but yeah, with an iMac refresh imminent, I'm definitely on hold. My "early 2009" iMac is still going strong, but if it were to die today, I'd probably just use my 13" Air for the time being.

AppleWarMachine

macrumors 65816
Sep 27, 2011
Michigan, US
Yes, I am also waiting for the fall update (which will be worth the wait), my "late" 2009 27" iMac only has 1GB free (1TB HDD) getting a little worried, hurry up with the new ones :D. I'm planning on getting the 3TB Fusion drive with the 3TB Time Capsule for backup

Chippy99

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2012
Why does anyone need patience?

If you want an iMac bloody well buy one. It's not getting married or buying a house FFS.

I don't know if there's just a load of bored people on these forums (hypocritical of me to say that, I know), but the endless debate of should i do xyz or not do xyz is just not worth it.

If you want/need/would quite like a new iMac, then buy one. If you don't, then don't. If you want to wait, then fine (personally I think you're a mug, but who cares).

Spudhead

macrumors member
Jul 23, 2013
I really WANT an iMac, but do I need one? Not at all. My late 2011 17" MBP still handles like a beast and does everything I need it to do. Maybe next year at this time or early 2015 when Nvidia Maxwell mobile GPU's make their way into iMac's I'll buy one when they have some serious graphical power and sell my windows gaming pc.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.